100 Quattro Newbie

Started by patrol, April 27, 2007, 11:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrol

Hi ..
I've just joined your forum. I'm a 100 Quattro V6 newbie .. 1993 model which I've had just over a week.
I brought it to replace the '94 Saab and am very pleased with it, but now sorting out the niggling problems, making sure everything works as it should.

A couple of problems, one to do with the Auto. Its not as smooth as I think it should be (not bad, but could be just a little better). Problem is that its such a smooth car .. I might be too sensitive ...

Also I think that when they overhauled the trans, they didn't reinstall the kickdown cable ... can anyone confirm whether there is a cable that should be installed (from throttle body to trans). It doesn't change down soon enough when going up a hill.

The other is that the engine also runs cold according to the gauge, both water and oil temperatures (even though the engine feels warm). I guess I should test the sensor first. Anyone had a similar problem ?

Anyway ... just another to add to the fleet of cars we have at home.

A

GlenT

Welcome patrol,
As far as the auto is concered, my wife's car is an '95 80 Avant 2.6E.
When we go up a hill in say 4th it can take a while to change down, the revs will drop but it wont change for ages, then all of a sudden it's all go when she's in third. But it does seem to stay in 4th for too long unless you put your foot down and then it will change straight away.
If we leave it in "Sport" mode it changes down really quickly and stays in gear for about another 1000 revs higher than in normal mode.
Seems to be the same in my friends 80 as well.

BB

Not sure if it has a cable or a switch but it should kick down when you floor it.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

HandsomeDan

There's normally a bit more "pedal" after you reach the end of the accelerator movement (i.e. a kickdown function), but if your carpet is under the accelerator pedal you won't be able to access the extra couple of mm of travel in the pedal. There's a noticeable "give" as you floor it (in the feel of the pedal).
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

patrol

Thanks for the comments.
I took the covers off and had a look at the throttle body. There is clearly a kickdown switch which is activated, I guess, at about 3/4 throttle. There are also clearly connections for a cable as well. It looks like it had one at some stage judging by the marks on the cable guides. It definetly kicks down, but not till the switch is engaged.

Ah well .. the thermostat/sensor is more important to fix at the moment. Just another job amongst all the other project vehicles !!

BB

That switch on the throttle body is a WOT (wide open throttle) switch and is to let the ECU know you want power, the cable will be for the actual gearbox kick down.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

hartster

Welcome

I've got exact same car as you.

We do +/- 800km per week in it on mix of open roads / country lanes and we love it. Kids, dog, wife, mess, it's a great touring car.

Mine is exactly the same, lazy gearbox, won't kick down unless you floor the pedal completely, lots of mates / family that have driven it have complained, you get used to it. Very unresponsive compared to most other cars. I use gear lever down shifting now, its become habit and for me that works just fine.

Had some problems common to the type C4 at high mileage (search posts in this category) - if you've got the car I think you have (Greenbay's?) then you've had the worst one already - leaking trans cooler in radiator.

patrol

Yes i tend to use the gearshift although I'm still baffled, it looks like there should be a kickdown cable, but there isn't one installed (just the brackets). The previous owner told me that he had quite a bit of work done on the transmission.

The only other problems I have are the oil and water temperatures reading low (not sure if sender or gauges) and I discovered a small petrol leak today when I filled up.

Otherwise it goes well. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cars, I like all the bits to work.
I don't think this is the car is the Greenbay one. It was imported into NZ (wgtn) in '99 from singapore and only had a couple of owners since then.

hartster

My 2.8 V6 used to run cooler than I expected, especially oil, but then the oil gauge isn't numbered like normal, so how hot is warm? if you see what I mean. Sometimes the gauge didn't get hot at all - tracked down this morning to a dirty sensor connection next to the crank shaft seal.

The coolant temp increased a bit after I flushed the system and used different coolant. But after all the crap and gunk that came out of the radiator I would have thought it would be the other way round. The radiator was quite corroded (resulting in leaking trans fluid cooler) so the opinion that the red OEM coolant doesn't corrode the system is rubbish IMO.

johnp

Quote from: patrol on April 27, 2007, 08:41:15 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I took the covers off and had a look at the throttle body. There is clearly a kickdown switch which is activated, I guess, at about 3/4 throttle. There are also clearly connections for a cable as well. It looks like it had one at some stage judging by the marks on the cable guides. It definetly kicks down, but not till the switch is engaged.

Ah well .. the thermostat/sensor is more important to fix at the moment. Just another job amongst all the other project vehicles !!

There is no mechanical (cable) kickdown on these boxes, they are electronically controlled.
I have a 2.6 80 and its kickdown is also very late unless it is in "sport" mode.
I am always manually flicking into third when going up hills.