1800 GTI motor problems

Started by scoot, April 30, 2007, 12:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo_005

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on May 13, 2007, 10:29:51 PM
Has your relay ever got hot? What happens if you tap the pump when you have the key turned on? Does it make a noise then?

I have never checked the relay before, I'm not even sure which one it is yet. ;D
I'll have a go at tapping the pump next time I'm at the car. Thanks Nik, might be on to something...

rambo_005

I hope it is something obvious, like the relay and/or the fuel pump. I have another rubber intake elbow on it's way (cheers DOHC-VR6 :)) and a new fuel filter to fit also.

Period_Correct_

Quote from: rambo_005 on May 14, 2007, 01:29:53 PM
I hope it is something obvious, like the relay and/or the fuel pump. I have another rubber intake elbow on it's way (cheers DOHC-VR6 :)) and a new fuel filter to fit also.

dont brake the plastic housing that the filter rests on, im sure you wont, im just too rough  >:D >:D >:D
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

rambo_005

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on May 13, 2007, 10:29:51 PM
What happens if you tap the pump when you have the key turned on? Does it make a noise then?

Ok I tried this and it made no difference... still didn't prime the system.
Did yours run when the engine was turning over? Mine is and I can't think why the pump won't prime, but will come on when trying to start?

vwrally

You can short circuit the pump power supply by removing the relay and placing a jumper wire(with an 8 amp fuse) between the top up and down contact and the bottom side to side contact.

I cant remember the relevant numbers from the wiring diagram but can find them if required, I dont typically use the fuel relays as they are prone to giving problems including voltage drop to the pump which can lean the motor out.

Let me know if you need the numbers .

NB if the pump does go when you do this it points to the relay itself or one of a few things under the bonnet that need to be checked. If you talk to BB he will have the Bosch manual for dianosing problems in K Jet If not I can supply another copy

rambo_005

Well I'm back on the road (finally!) I pulled out the lift pump and swapped the actual pump unit with one from a Passat GT and it started and runs like it always used to. ;D :)

cpncrash

Good stuff! Those pick up pumps seem a common fault iv been through two

BB

Dont let them run out of gas, the gas running through them cools them and they howl if they run dry and can fail or get damaged if you try to start a car for to long if it out of gas. I know plenty of people who have burned up pumps running on empty all the time.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Hoff

good to hear that you are all up and going again :)
1985 Mk2 Golf GTI
1900 High comp race engine, Advanti magswrapped in F1's,Nardi wheel,Samco Coolant Hoses,KW Varient 2 Coilovers,OMP front strut brace,256mm brake upgrade
Mk1 Golf Project
MK2 Project