Overheating problems

Started by 5-pot, May 18, 2007, 01:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5-pot

Hey guys, Dad's got a 2000 A8 4.2 and it's been goin well the last coupla years but it's just started overheating quite badly.  it's ok on the motorway when it's got good airflow through the grill but the moment he stops, the needle begins to climb at a somewhat alarming rate.  It;s been right up to about 110 on the temp gauge so, not healthy at all.  Anyoen have any clues what might be wrong?  I'm not really sure where to start.  Maybe replace the water pump and thermostat?  The water pump is run off the cambelt right?

Cheers
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

RS ZWEI

Head gasket?

I wouldnt be driving at all.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

5-pot

It's been parked up for the last few weeks.  we only drove it two or three times to try and figure out what was wrong with it.  I didn't actually think of the head gasket...  I'll check the oil for water in it tonight.  The dipstick comes up milky if there's water right?
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

It will most likely just be the cooling fan not kicking in, the thermo switch is probly broken.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

5-pot

Quote from: BB on May 18, 2007, 02:37:28 PM
It will most likely just be the cooling fan not kicking in, the thermo switch is probly broken.

oh ok, I'll have a look tonight as well...  Where on the block is the thermostat?

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

Usually on the radiator on vag stuff.

RoscoNZ

I assume you have checked the coolant level ?? Or could be the radiator needs a flush. I think they have tons of cooling capacity .. my 4.2Q  never flinches once up to temp.

The only problem I had was a duff thermostat ... but it failed to close down properly when ambient temp dropped down .. and fuel cons climbs ... an easy fix though.

BB

Sorry I ment the thermoswitch for the fan is usually on the radiator. The thermostat I dont exactly know but should be near a inlet or outlet hose.

BOON250

Thermostat is a very common problem on  the V8s....

BB

BOON250

thermostat sits on right hand side of block behind water pump...

5-pot

No, I didn't fix it.  Dad's waiting for the upcoming service to get it replaced by conti's  :-\ 

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI