Previous topic - Next topic

-----

found this on the tv3 website

http://tv3.co.nz/News/NationalNews/tabid/184/Default.aspx?ArticleID=27697

if this happens do you think your vag while appreciate in value ;D ;D
2003 MK4 Jetta VR6 24V 4M S/C - Sold
1999 MK4 Golf GTI Oettinger - Sold

Dubious

Personally I'm glad they did it. NZ has one of the oldest car fleets in the developed world.  The car dealers are only complaining because they make the highest margins on the 'sewer cars' they pick up in Japan for a song.
15 8V S3 APR Stage 1

BB

I think it will have the effect that people wont upgrade like they say and we will end up sticking with older worse cars. People just dont have the money in NZ.
I also think if a car dosent blow any visible smoke then we have to accept that its ok, cars are stinky filthy things and if we biff them out just cause they dont "breath" as good as a brand new modern car were going to end up with a even bigger problem.
And what about the busses and trains and trucks? They will all have to go if they start saying average joes little 98 pulsar isnt good enough.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

SteveC

trains are going electric, a bus with 30 people on emits less per person than a row of 25 cars with 1.2 people in them!

I support the moves, cheap Jap imports have meant that our roads are clogged

slowmo

sensing a pattern of penalising peeople with cars huh?

better buy a post-2000 car now as i assume the prices will go up if this goes thru?
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

BB

Just because a bus carrys more people dosent mean its not hypicritical to have others penalized whilst bus and many truck owners have well worn out machinery. The need to stongly enforce commercial vehicles before picking on people.
And if we cant import a 96- 98 pulsar as a cheap economical affordable car, some other country will just cash in on the perfectly good cars japan biffs (to protect there own car market and because they are an overcrowded country). One pollution, one world.
  Or is it better environmentally to just scrap 96 model pulsars that blow no visible smoke? I dont think so. Theres nothing wrong with jap imports and there never was, except how ugly they all are.

80 Vert

Quote from: SteveC on May 26, 2007, 09:56:06 AM
trains are going electric, a bus with 30 people on emits less per person than a row of 25 cars with 1.2 people in them!

Hahaha what a joke! Trains that don't go anywhere and yes will be changed to electric for which we have to burn more coal to generate electricity thats in short supply already= more pollution.
In all fairness, unless you live in the CBD the busses and trains just don't cut it. A journey from Henderson to town= 1.5 hrs, not funny at all and no cheaper than running a car.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

Quote from: SteveC on May 26, 2007, 09:56:06 AM

Electricity for the trains is often generated using coal power stations.

And as for less emissions on a bus - maybe the newer ones, but the old ones kick out soo much crap. And what about the buses driving around in the middle of the day with one or two people on them?
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

SteveC

Quote from: RobClubley on May 27, 2007, 05:30:25 PM
Electricity for the trains is often generated using coal power stations.

And as for less emissions on a bus - maybe the newer ones, but the old ones kick out soo much crap. And what about the buses driving around in the middle of the day with one or two people on them?

I think you'd find these days that the buses doing route service work in the main centres are at least Euro 3 compatible and that the crappy old buses are used by the fringe companies doing charter work, which are probably still better maintained than your average jap import Nissan 4wd that has never had its injectors cleaned

I was following a new (current model) Passat diesel the other day, with visible smoke from the exhaust under acceleration

80 Vert

I fully support banning all old crappy diesels but limiting petrol cars is going too far. All import petrol cars that I have looked at ALL have clean exhausts, give these cars a year or two on our roads and the exhaust is black! The government needs to look at themselves to do something about the rubbish quality petrol that we are sold at over inflated prices.
Diesel fuel in NZ is no better, Its quality is also no good. Our Diesel still has way too much sulphur in it and its this that makes the smoke. The new diesels that have a "soot" filter in Europe CAN'T be sold here because our diesel fuel is rubbish.
When you look at California for example, in the times that I have been there i have NEVER seen a smoking car, bus or truck. Some of these cars are also old but the big difference is that their fuel is probably a whole lot better quality.
How about introducing smog emissions testing for example, fail = no wof. Very simple!
I have no problem paying $30-40 for a smog test, at least that is a good way to reduce emissions.
Instead we have some half arsed visible smoke test, which moron thought of this?
Restricting the age of imported cars to only a few years old will just mean that people will keep their older cars longer and with no proper emissoins test will achieve absolutely nothing.

80 Vert

Quote from: veedubman on May 27, 2007, 08:04:23 PM
in the world according to spinner....

this is new zealand and it will never get done..

Yes exactly! Never happen.
Like a new harbour crossing!! Hahahaha what a joke. The can't even decide on a sports stadium for the rugby world cup! Can you imagine them looking at a 2nd harbour crossing. They would spend the next 20 years talking about it and it would NEVER get recource consent. After all our harbour bridge is about to fall down! But we can wait untill it actually falls down.

g tec

get a beetle  ,rebuild the engine then give the goverment the rest of your money,u will live happely ever after.
wait till they get to the next step? ?  ? every vehicle in(after 1996) NZ must have a cat converter and or must be replaced every(x)km'$
do u have any idea cat converter is worth? thats why we got some much cheap jap crap  on the streets

way to go goverment ! we the people, have alot more money to give u "the goverment"

Mike

Please, please tax me more, I like more charges and compliance costs.

Why change the rules (again) when the ones we have got already are not being enforced, just like the ones they replaced, which were not being enforced either. For example, who gives those smoky old heaps a WOF. You can't tell me they meet current standards, but there they are on the road.

BB

I think alot of you except the very rich brand new audi owners amongst us will be a bit pevved when they fail your 96 -99 and even later audis because they dont pass the strict regulations you would like to see brought in. And forget about any classics oh except they will make compensations for them but accidently miss out on putting your particular car on the list and then you wont be able to import that dream classic you always wanted.
The "fool" who invented the visible test was infact the whole LTSA commitees who would have disscussed every detail of how it was going to actually work in NZ unlike the opinions spouted here often.
I think a visible test is about all we can expect here unless we are prepared to sort out our public transport which all you rich audi drivers wont want a bar of, I think you would like poor folk to say just, dissapear altogether eh, oh that is untill you want to buy some milk and need a poor sucker to sell it to you who got to work in a beat up old corrola.

And yes they will eventually build a better train service with double tracks and electricity even tho there are problems with that too, unless we all just dissapear, which in this day and age is highly likely.
The hard line taken by some on this forum is quite unworkable and thankfully the people who actually have a job in making things work for everybody know that. 

feelou

Equity is the biggest problem of enforcing environmental policy. It's true that it will impact those on a small car budget more than others. And the lack of proper public transportation leaves nowhere to go.

But at the same time I find it hard to take low income as an excuse to pollute. We had the same discussion on insurance: is it ok not to be insured because of low income?. The more we take this excuse, the more it will be ok to drift away from international standards. I would hate to see NZ compared with your average ex-USSR republic or North Africa (something I hear every now and then when it comes to infrastructure and legislation).

I have no magical answer to your challenge. It's easy for me with a brand new car I know. But I feel we need to make a step in the right direction.

BB

Quote: But at the same time I find it hard to take low income as an excuse to pollute. Quote:

I beg your pardon! so its a crime for some person to own a 1.3l corrola that passes the visible test but not the new harder test, but its fine for some rich person to own a brand new twin turbo V8 plus a huge house and a pool and a big fat arse boat to go with all that, oh and not to mention the constant over seas travel ::) and thats just fine in your world is it?

Some of you guys suffer from affluenza so badly, and in this day and age you dont even need any money to be very very sick with affluenza in the head ::)

Why is it me who always has to point out these yawning gaps in peoples assumptions ::)

HandsomeDan

Jem, I think you're missing the point a little. Low income shouldn't be an excuse for polluting in the same way as it shouldn't be an excuse for violence, lack of manners or self-respect.

I don't think he was saying that if you're not wealthy you have no rights...I think it's just a matter of making sure that the said 1.3 Corolla is not belching toxic fumes, just because it's cheap.

It should be somethng you budget for when buying or owning a car, to have a regular service done...which in theory would make the car run a lot better and a lot less dirty. In theory...
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

80 Vert

Quote from: veedubman on May 28, 2007, 10:19:06 AM
a Relative was pushing to have more permanent lanes while building the bridge ie 4 permanent lanes each way...  obviously the pig headed dicks that make new zealand the wonderful politically correct place that it is got their ways and only buld 4 lanes stat.. cos nooooo auckland would never expand...

and nooo we dont need transport for the public.. but we will penalise them any way for using their only option to get around this hell hole...

Hahahahaha, classic!!
My thoughts exactly.

HandsomeDan

Quote from: Spinner on May 28, 2007, 11:23:00 AM
poverty is not an excuse for pollution its a reason and cause of pollution......its the rich and well off that are in a position to make a difference....and its that sector of society that uses up and emitts far more than any other sector of society!!!!!

I think you'll find it's the ignorant and the arrogant that pollute more than any other sector...and they aren't always the richest.

THe poor are often the most ignorant and the wealthy are often the most arrogant, but it's a gross generalisation.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

HandsomeDan

Quote from: Spinner on May 28, 2007, 11:28:49 AM
the minority of rich people pollute this world far more than the millions of poor.....!!!!

Have you visited the third world? They live in their own filth. They are generally not wealthy.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70