Vento Troubles

Started by Rocketscott, May 28, 2007, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketscott

ok my Vento has developed a problem its the 2.0 sohc 8v engine made in 1997 from a cold start it starts then idles real rough like its firing on 2 cylinders then dies if you dont give it some gas second time round it wont start at all unless you give it a bit of throttle and the moment you take it off again it will die. and also when warm it will idle rough but not cut out like it does when cold also when you take off from a stop the auto will change 2000 rpm too late and then once your going at 50K or so it feels real floty and horrible like the auto is slipping ervywhere like an eel its under warranty but please give me an idea on whats wrong so i can tell them and hopefuly shorten the time it will take them to fix it.

HandsomeDan

1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

BB

hopefully its just rough running an not the gearbox and its changing higher as theres no real power going through it.
Vags often suffer air leaks and if its a digiphant they always need new leads and plugs and then a good thrashing, see post regarding an Italian tune up.
So yea look and listen for air laks and get new leads plugs distributor cap and rotor if they are old at all.
Good luck.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Rocketscott

Thanks its at the garage now what ever it is its under warranty but i hope its not the bloody gearbox beacuse i want to go to nelson on thurs (where i will give it a good trashing) as it hasent had one in a while you reckon it wolud to it good?

Rocketscott

sorry what is a digiphant?

Rocketscott

its fiixed now the problem was Dry solder joints in the fuel pump control relay that when cold wernt connecting proply causing the fuel pump to run at a very low pressure now its fixed its a lot snappier too. :-)

HandsomeDan

So I'm assuming that as it got hot, the solder expanded making a clean connection?
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

bsting

Buy a new fuel pump relay, it should have a #167 on the top and you will see the part # when you pull it out. Also replace the ECU relay #30

pm user Neil  he will help you out with these

HandsomeDan

ECU Relay number 30 gets a lot of stick on this site...what is it with that relay?
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

bsting

The ones that were fitted at the factory are crap, replace it with a new 'made in germany' one

$30

BB

Digifant sorry about my other spelling, its the electronic fuel injection that comes after the mechanical K-jet injection on VWs. If your car has proper elecronic injectors you have digifant.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Rocketscott

they replaced it under warranty (warrantys are a wonderful thing)

Rocketscott

Quote from: jasoncordelle on May 30, 2007, 10:50:49 AM
So I'm assuming that as it got hot, the solder expanded making a clean connection?
Yeah got it in one mate but it still wasent running propely when warm

HandsomeDan

Quote from: Rocketscott on May 30, 2007, 04:37:27 PM
Yeah got it in one mate but it still wasent running propely when warm

I'm learning...ever so slowly, I am learning...
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70