100 Quattro fuel consumption

Started by hartster, May 30, 2007, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartster

I recently did an extended fuel consumption test. I reset the computer and drove 4025km in 3 weeks, every week the same trips - Waihi to Auckland and back three times, Waihi to Hamilton airport and back once. Plus a couple of 25km round trips into town.

Car returned 9.2 litres per 100km (30.7 mpg), average speed 76 km/h. Cruising speed 100-110km/h.

Confirmed the computer fuel consumption at the pump using litres in and odometer.

I reckon that's pretty good for a heavy 2.8 V6 AWD?

It's slightly better than my non-turbo Impreza, and better than my MK2 GTi, which admittedly does get a thrashing.

HandsomeDan

I think it's very good for a large car. Also good news that he Fuel consumption calc on the computer is correct. It's always nice to check these things and not take them for granted.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

BB

Theres one at avondale pickapart Hartster.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

hartster

What was it wrecked for, any idea? Always thought a spare box would be a good idea, assuming it's a quattro.

typ53

Quote from: hartster on May 30, 2007, 02:09:23 PM

Car returned 9.2 litres per 100km (30.7 mpg), average speed 76 km/h. Cruising speed 100-110km/h.

That's very good.  I'm getting around 14-14.5 l/100km (on mainly city-airport round trips) from my 2.8l FWD auto.

Might be time for a tune up...

Jem, did that 100 have an intact front windscreen?
The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

Pushbutton_auto

Cheaper and EASIER to get new one fitted.   :)
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

typ53

Easier sure, but at $550 fitted...maybe it's worth it?
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

vonripsnorter

Quote from: hartster on May 30, 2007, 02:09:23 PM

I reckon that's pretty good for a heavy 2.8 V6 AWD?

It's slightly better than my non-turbo Impreza, and better than my MK2 GTi, which admittedly does get a thrashing.

Interesting, I have an Audi A4 2.8 quattro (30V) & it would similar figures to your 100. ( is the 100 manual or auto)
I also have a Mk2 GTi like your self (mines a 16V)
But that does closer to 40 mpg for me & even better if driven lightly on a long trip

hartster

Quote from: vonripsnorter on June 02, 2007, 01:37:45 PM
Interesting, I have an Audi A4 2.8 quattro (30V) & it would similar figures to your 100. ( is the 100 manual or auto)
I also have a Mk2 GTi like your self (mines a 16V)
But that does closer to 40 mpg for me & even better if driven lightly on a long trip

The 100Q is auto.

My MK2 is also a 16v. But it never gets driven lightly or on long trips. I warm it up and then thrash the nuts off it around the country lanes. Lots of 2nd / 3rd gear high revs. Not conducive to good fuel consumption. It probably returns an average of 10-11 L / 100kms. From memory my MK2 8v in SA would give me a steady 9 L / 100km, mostly long distance cruising at 120-140km/h.

typ53

Quote from: hartster on June 02, 2007, 02:33:46 PM
The 100Q is auto.

My MK2 is also a 16v. But it never gets driven lightly or on long trips. I warm it up and then thrash the nuts off it around the country lanes. Lots of 2nd / 3rd gear high revs. Not conducive to good fuel consumption. It probably returns an average of 10-11 L / 100kms. From memory my MK2 8v in SA would give me a steady 9 L / 100km, mostly long distance cruising at 120-140km/h.

I gotta leap to the defense of the humble 16v here - my KR Corrado is really frugal on long trips - I moved from Wellington to Auckland a few years back and managed Central Wellington to Central Auckland on a tank - that's about 7.5 l/100 k's - and that with all my worldy possessions in or on the car. (I've not seen it sit so low since!)
The Fleet:
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring

Pushbutton_auto

When I picked up the daughter and all her stuff from Wellington, (I lost the power steering at Hamilton), I was told (by her mother) she had some cash for gas, so I partied out at Trentham races, only to find out that evening when the car was loaded (not any space left in car or boot) that she had no money for gas, now having unsuccessful but highly enjoyable day at the races, I was more than a little light and NO funds to draw on.  Hmmmmmmmm  :-\

Went for it anyhow, figuring the closer to Auckland we got, has to be WAY better than Wellington. So go to BP in Welly, put last $27 in tank and away we went. Powered it all the way (abt 60 mph) out of Welly and over to Taupo,  Fuel pump light came on before Cambridge and was flashing way before Huntly, but my baby got us home to Te Atatu Sth, stopping only on the way to gas station the next day.    :)

100 CD, KU 2.2 engine, Auto, 1987,  no turbo or quattro and no power steering from Hamilton on down trip.  FULLY LOADED on return.

850 miles, from 80 litres and whatever $27 gas brought back then, probably $1.20 a litre. So maybe 100 odd litres.

And people wonder why I LOVE  :-*  :-*  :-* that old Audi.
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

hartster

Quote from: typ53 on June 02, 2007, 05:47:27 PM
I gotta leap to the defense of the humble 16v here - my KR Corrado is really frugal on long trips

Right, that's it. As soon as the recon'd box is in the car I'll do a sensible driving consumption test. But then again the 16v was never meant for sensible driving...

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

GTI's

Quote from: typ53 on June 02, 2007, 05:47:27 PM
I gotta leap to the defense of the humble 16v here - my KR Corrado is really frugal on long trips - I moved from Wellington to Auckland a few years back and managed Central Wellington to Central Auckland on a tank - that's about 7.5 l/100 k's - and that with all my worldy possessions in or on the car. (I've not seen it sit so low since!)

The extra weight kept the momentum up? or you had to go slow coz the tyres were rubbing?   My 16v sits on 9-10/100l open road at 120kph