200 engine code ?

Started by gravel, June 04, 2007, 07:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

I dont think you can just lock the rear unless you clamp the vacuum line going to the center diff.
I think you will find you will still have binding problems with the locked rear diff but you will certainly find out quickly enough. Have fun ;)
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

gravel

hi guys gave the old girl a run over the weekend at dannevirke unfortunately she wasn't running at full revs and was missing at anything over half throttle under load ,didn't miss a beat when you revved it in neutral ? (any ideas welcomed) . still had alot of fun as there wernt many entry's so we all got in alot of runs . after being told that i could only run road tyres there were a few cars with rally tyres i only had well worn road tyres (bugger) that came on the car but i still learned alot its certainly forgiving in the corners as i didn't have full power i had to be careful but i think with a set of rally tyres and the motor revving properly i think you could be alot more committed in the corners , after the official runs i tried a run with the diff locks on crap what an improvement made the car feel alot more stable and still turned in nicely bugger should have tried it earlier as it brought the times down never mind something for next time i think i was about 3.8 sec behind a evo1 rally car on rally tyres over 800m so theres bit to improve on, still good fun  ill put a pic up its not to exciting tho cheers

gravel

sorry guys the pics to big to put up if you are interested i could send them to you theres two pics

Pristle

Have you replaced the standard intercooler, aka 'MM' (Michelin Man), hose. If not, you may find you have a leak in that area. Visually it may look fine, but if you remove it you'll likely find a crack in the underside. From experience this causes some interesting issues. Short term solution have been a mix of insulation and duct tape.

The original hoses are scarce, if not damned expensive. Jeremy may be help here.

rambo_005

Quote from: gravel on June 11, 2007, 06:34:44 PM
sorry guys the pics to big to put up if you are interested i could send them to you theres two pics

Email them to me and I will put them up here for you if you want :) [email protected]

John Stone

Quote from: gravel on June 11, 2007, 06:18:07 PM
hi guys gave the old girl a run over the weekend at dannevirke unfortunately she wasn't running at full revs and was missing at anything over half throttle under load ,didn't miss a beat when you revved it in neutral ? (any ideas welcomed) .
I'm not too clever on exhaust lengths but I wonder if the engine is now overboosting since you have shortened it up, not enough back pressure for the turbo?
Engine cut out can be a number of things, a common fault is the wiring to the oxygen sensor, large black wire to the fitting on the inlet manifold (cable does a 180 turn into the connector). If the wires are not connecting well you won't get it to rev past 4k.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

Interesting the diff locks dint casue problems in the corners? good tho if they didnt and it made it feel better. Did you have traction probs before you engaged the locks?
As for the missing id just check the leads and plugs, dizzy cap and rotor along with the other things mentioned. The intercoolers can leak too but that just causes low boost. Id fit a boost gauge to make sure you got the 6 psi it came out with.

gravel

cheers for the feed back the boost was reading 12psi with a good gauge before i pulled the muffler and backed it off before we started the car without the muffler shes now running about the 10psi mark, itl pull past 4k but only on half throttle but ill have a look the things you guys suggest a mate pointed out to me that the coil was the wrong one on it so ill change that as well , as for the handling i thought the traction was really good until i locked the diffs made the car feel a lot safer at speed , we had to drive down the road about 1k to turn around there was a bit of a straight and when you nailed it to about 120 to 130k with opened diffs it felt a bit nervous and wandered a bit and when i locked the diffs it sat like a rock didn't wander and felt like you could drive a lot quicker and rally tyres will make a big difference to its stability on gravel i know with my starlet on one event it used to get to 180k on the gravel and having such a short wheelbase it used to wander all over the place but you get used to it , with a long wheel base like the Audi its should be alot more stable mind you i did miss pulling 8500rpm while your looking up the road out the side window . still with a bit of practice and the Audi running properly i think i can see it being thown side ways and revving hard and the Audi does sound better when its on song cheers

rambo_005

Here she is

rambo_005

and again :)

Pushbutton_auto

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

John Stone

Now that's put a smile on my dial.  8)

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

Look at that old beast go :o

gravel

thanks for puting the pics up its a cool piece of road, a bit short tho, but you cant have everything i spose. i just scored a free set of 15inch used rally tyres for the old girl so that will help with keepn her on the road . ive got a coil off a 83 gt coup would that be the same as the 200 one ? ive just got to find another event where you dont need a cage and with the power and tyres sorted itl be interesting to see how she goes , if its as good as i hope the next thing will be a cage then i can have a go at some longer and faster events all in the name of fun, thanks for all your imput its been very helpful and no dout there will be a lot more to come cheers

BB

No to the coil, the 200 has a special electronic coil, who said it was the wrong one? there is two different looking correct 200 coils, one looks like a normal coil and one looks more plastic and modular. Do you have a haynes manual? they are actually quite good when it comes to a 200s electronics.

gravel

hi there the coil on the car is a aftermarket one ill see if i can get a proper coil for it thanks for the info

John Stone

I've got a coil off my WR ur quattro that's not factory fit, but nevertheless, worked fine. I replaced it with the original Bosch unit. Let me check the EKTA, I'll see if it's compatible and let you know.

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

so it didn't make a shred of difference when you put the correct coil in? ??? Or did it ?

John Stone

Quote from: BB on June 13, 2007, 06:36:00 PM
so it didn't make a shred of difference when you put the correct coil in? ??? Or did it ?

Nope, except being $180.00 poorer  :o

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

gravel

thanks john i might need it Ive got a electronic coil i had on my starlet before i went to twin coils off a Mitzi is there anything unusual about the Audi one ? or can i use a aftermarket one ? cheers