VAGCOM - Your opinions please....

Started by wilco, June 06, 2007, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilco

As stated, anyone with VAGCOM I'm interested in your real world opinion on what you've used it for and whether it fully served its purpose.  I'm considering buying it so am keen on a bit of feedback.
I'll use it on the V6 TDi, T4 TDi, A8, 2.6V6 and possibly the Coupe if I get that software too.

Cheers

BB

Rex?
Id have it if you got that many Audi's, you can get it for $700 odd dollars 2nd hand cant you?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

nzfamily

Hi, was a technician in a VW dealership in Los Angeles and used it to do side jobs. Was very useful and many features on it are better than the dealership scan tools. For the money it is well worth the investment if you already have a laptop to use it with. We were not allowed to use it for warranty work at the dealership so used it on other work. Cheers.

wilco

Thanks for the replies, good endorsement. 

Period_Correct_

what about those handheld 1s on trademe?
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

wilco

Yeah dunno, had a look at those a while back and something steered me away from them.  Can't remember what or who it was that made me decide not to buy.

BB

Maybe thats the ones i was thinking about? how much is a vagcom?

taupoq

IMO you are better off going for the proper vagcom direct from the manufactures  http://www.ross-tech.com/. I bought one which uses their software but is a third party hardware and have found it very useful especially being two hours from a dealer with fault finding and service light reseting etc. However it is limited due to the hardware being older technology ie why I would buy from ross-tech if I upgrade.

Give us a call Steve and I could bring it round to show you. 021 170 7776

Tim

qta4

I had an old serial vag-com assy with licenced software, traded it in for newer usb version with licence integrated with hardware, now i can use on my laptop or anyone elses as long as they have down loaded the free program.
It also pays to download the complete user manual, also the error codes, all available free on net.

Also found the motronic self diagnoses for my AEB engine.
Useful stuff :)
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

BB

qta4

Quote from: BB on June 07, 2007, 05:33:02 PM
HOW much?

VAG-COM
Windows-based Diagnostic Software
for VW / Audi / Seat / Skoda 
Interface and Software License starting at $229.- USD

OOOO

Quote from: taupoq on June 07, 2007, 04:50:18 PM
IMO you are better off going for the proper vagcom direct from the manufactures  http://www.ross-tech.com/. I bought one which uses their software but is a third party hardware and have found it very useful especially being two hours from a dealer with fault finding and service light reseting etc. However it is limited due to the hardware being older technology ie why I would buy from ross-tech if I upgrade.

Give us a call Steve and I could bring it round to show you. 021 170 7776

Tim

We could split the cost of a new Ross Tech system three ways for the Taupo folk.
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

wilco

Yep we could look at that although I'm happy to get whatever's necessary anyway.  I'll call you Tim.
Thanks.

RobClubley

I have a cheap (30 quid) Ebay adapter and the free version of VAG-COM. I've used it for downloading fault codes a few times - very useful!
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

qta4

Quote from: RobClubley on June 08, 2007, 01:56:24 PM
I have a cheap (30 quid) Ebay adapter and the free version of VAG-COM. I've used it for downloading fault codes a few times - very useful!

I used free version for a few months,very limited features, just enough to want full version.
The USB-HEX version is the most useful for most older cars.
Check with Ross-Tech site to check if your latest R8 can be used on USB -HEX ;D

HaNs

Quote from: OOOO on June 07, 2007, 08:33:55 PM
We could split the cost of a new Ross Tech system three ways for the Taupo folk.

Im keen in pitching in as i may need to use it a some stage.

80 Vert

Very usefull tool, couldn't be without it nowadays. Just have to put some time into learning all its functions.
I doubt you could find a better scanner for VW's than VAGCOM, especialy when you consider the cost.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration