Servicing / running costs

Started by macca32nz, June 28, 2007, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macca32nz

Hi everyone!
I am a new member so please so thought I would pose a question.

I owned a 2001 face lift S3 (Silver) which I purchased new in the UK and unfortunately had to sell it when I lost my job about 2 years later. Having a new vehicle I never had the issue of running costs to worry about. The car was the amazing and I have always wanted to buy another!

Now I am thinking of buying a second hand one in NZ. It would be a 2002 225bhp and I would be looking for > 60000km's. Prices have come down heaps which helps. I was wondering what the running costs might be in NZ approx  ???- full servicing, tyres etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

djrisk

For that year and kms if you buy from a dealer, you should be able to get an Audi Silver circle warranty, which covers servicing and maintenance, bar tyres and clutch.
Tyres for a 17inch wheel are obviously less than the 18inch, i always recommend buying second hand tyres (i know many will disagree) cause you can get a good tyre with 80-90% tread for less than half the price. Otherwise they can be almost $1000 a tyre :-\
A 60,000kms service is about $5-600 from Contys or Giltraps. :)
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Trofeo

My 60,000km service was around $1000 from giltraps as they do the Haldex oil and filters, along with spark plugs, oil, filters etc.

Not sure where you could find 17" tyres for $1000ea  :o but you can get brand new Goodyear GSD3s for $230ea. At that price i'm sure you'll agree that buying new is well worth it. These in my opinion are fantastic for the S3, and you should get 40-50ks out of a set.

All in all my S3s have been incredibly reliable. Just a failed MAF sensor in one, burst turbo hose (was running 24psi boost though) and a temp sensor in the other. Brake pads and discs aren't unreasonable (discs last about 70kms) although maybe i'm accoustomed to audi parts prices now.

I think you can buy a warranty for a low mileage private sale car, without having to buy one from a dealer. Worth calling a few places. good luck with your hunt. there's certainly plenty to choose from for around $25K

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

macca32nz

For servicing, I contacted the local garage here in Dunners and they quoted:

60,000km service. $895.00 incl of GST. This includes: Oil and filter Haldex oil and filter Spark plugs Brake fluid Air filter Washer fluid Wipers and full check of under the vehicle, hoses, drive belts and electrics.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: djrisk on June 29, 2007, 03:29:37 PM
For that year and kms if you buy from a dealer, you should be able to get an Audi Silver circle warranty, which covers servicing and maintenance, bar tyres and clutch.
Tyres for a 17inch wheel are obviously less than the 18inch, i always recommend buying second hand tyres (i know many will disagree) cause you can get a good tyre with 80-90% tread for less than half the price. Otherwise they can be almost $1000 a tyre :-\
A 60,000kms service is about $5-600 from Contys or Giltraps. :)

$1,000 for a 17 inch tyre??? They only time I remember 17s being $1,000 each was then they came out in 1992 on HSV VP Senators, back then you only had one option was P-Zeros.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

qta4

Quote from: macca32nz on June 28, 2007, 09:39:45 PM
Hi everyone!
I am a new member so please so thought I would pose a question.

I owned a 2001 face lift S3 (Silver) which I purchased new in the UK and unfortunately had to sell it when I lost my job about 2 years later. Having a new vehicle I never had the issue of running costs to worry about. The car was the amazing and I have always wanted to buy another!

Now I am thinking of buying a second hand one in NZ. It would be a 2002 225bhp and I would be looking for > 60000km's. Prices have come down heaps which helps. I was wondering what the running costs might be in NZ approx  ???- full servicing, tyres etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Expect $5-8K depreciation per year in NZ on a S3, driven with spirit, tyres will last 25kmax,get a warranty but ownership for a daily driver will still cost lots.

Depreciation is the largest single cost of car ownership.
A friend just purchases a 2002 S6 from Conti's for $40k,done 95km.(was on trademe)
That car suffered $31k per year depreciation.
Even with the bussiness allowance, book value would have been close to $70k, car was $195 new.
He is very happy and intends to keep for years.

New Zealanders are quite happy to loose heaps on cars but allways expect to make money on real estate ??? ???

Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

djrisk

Quote from: MTMS3 on June 29, 2007, 04:23:57 PM
burst turbo hose (was running 24psi boost though)
True you too!! mine blew off at peak boost 3000rpm in second coming off a roundabout. I thought my whole world had ended :D

I knew id get that tyre quote wrong, its been so long since ive had to pay for any. My mother in law paid a lot of money for some 16 inch michelins but i guess she could have been ripped off :laugh:

Oh and according to my service schedule, my haldex oil was changed at 30k. Is this a 30k or a 60k service? The handbook says 60k ???
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Trofeo

Quote from: djrisk on June 30, 2007, 01:10:40 AM

Oh and according to my service schedule, my haldex oil was changed at 30k. Is this a 30k or a 60k service? The handbook says 60k ???
it's 60km's or 5? years, so mine was done at 50kms.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi