Tempted by 100CD on TM

Started by 5-pot, July 03, 2007, 01:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5-pot

Hey all, I've been wanting to get an audi for some time (craving that 5-pot noise again) and I'm being increasingly tempted by this example on trademe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=105637091&key=890535

I'm reading good things about 100's but now, I'm considering going to have a look.  Are there any issues that I should be aware of?  Anything I should keep an eye out for?  The mileage is worrying and the boy racer pedals are somewhat disconcerting but it appears sound...

thoughts?  ???
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

looks good for the price an itss not auto so you shouldnt have any real probs. Its quite a rare beast tho isnt it, most are V6s or the smaller 5pots without quattro. The only thing i would say is it wont be a fast car but will be a good safe and comfy cruiser, doubt you will get much 5 pot howl out of it tho. it is cheap tho, i recon youd get it for $1500 and its good its a 5 pot really as far as servicing and reliability goes. If you want it id say get it.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

HandsomeDan

I'd go a bit of that, if the Km's were lower...look for smoke.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2000 Mazda SP20 AWD (JDM Mazdaspeed Edition)
1996 Toyota Starlet - daily hack
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

5-pot

Oh yeah, no way will it be fast.  but it sure as hell will get me from home to work and back cheaper than the current 3.2 ingot 4x4 that i'm driving now.  What're the fuel economy figures like on the 5-pots?
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

yes look for smoke. Id say thats a cheap car to run for its size and capabilitys.

HandsomeDan

Quote from: BB on July 03, 2007, 03:34:38 PM
yes look for smoke. Id say thats a cheap car to run for its size and capabilitys.
On that note: Look for smoke damage on the lights etc, too - a dead giveaway (just in case they've used some anti-smoke Wynn's crap in the oil).
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

5-pot

Quote from: jasoncordelle on July 03, 2007, 03:35:49 PM
On that note: Look for smoke damage on the lights etc, too - a dead giveaway (just in case they've used some anti-smoke Wynn's crap in the oil).

What lights?  Rear lights?

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

RS ZWEI

Quote from: jasoncordelle on July 03, 2007, 03:35:49 PM

And what if it had an engine rebuild?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

5-pot

I'm sure they would have mentioned it as a sales pitch...  what is generally involved in a "rebuild" anyway?

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

5-pot

new rings, bearings, gasket and seal kit, water pump and belts?  ???

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

HandsomeDan

Along those lines, I'd say.

Yes - rear lights...lenses would be dark above the exhaust and quite cloudy from the smoke, if there has been a n issue with smoke in the past: the paintwork would also show signs of it around the bumper area directly above and around the exhaust pipe. It's a dead giveaway on high-mileage cars that some sellers don't think to clean up properly.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

5-pot

Hrm photos tell lies but it looks like the left tail lights are a bit smokey...  I'll have to go have a look.  It's short on a headunit too!

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

HandsomeDan

Give it a fang and look out of the rearview mirror...you'll know.
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

Natesgti

bro, for 1500 bux you cant go wrong! looks like a decent audi ( i dont know much about them) but most of those80, 90 and 100 audis have horrible looking blue/ green interior! that looks mint.

Pushbutton_auto

Q: I'm going to purchase a used 5K/100/200. What items should I check to avoid buying a lemon?

A: Below is the list of most important items you should check on a used 44-chassis car. This list does not contain items common to all cars in general, like "check for damaged CV joint boots" or "check for slipping clutch".

All models:
Check for leaks from the power steering pump and steering rack.
Check the condition of plastic radiator tanks

5 cylinder models only:
Start the engine and let it run for a minute. Switch off and count how many times can you depress the brake pedal before you lose the power assist. Less than 10 times means bad bomb.
Check the oil cooler lines for leaks and corrosion.
Note: Early models doesn't have oil cooler
Listen for excessive noise at the rear of the car (fuel pump)
Note: Does not apply to WH engine
While the engine is cold, listen and look for exhaust manifold leaks

Q: There's a rattling noise from the engine after start up
A: The noise in question is caused by hydraulic lifters. If it's only apparent after starting a cold engine and goes away after about 2 minutes, then it's considered normal and does not require intervention.

Q: There's a ticking noise after start up and I can smell gas fumes if I open the hood
A: Not good - it seems that the car suffers from the "warping manifold disease". This mostly applies to turbocharged cars, although N/A ones can have this problem as well. It seems to be a design flaw - the exhaust manifold can't stand the heat and begins to warp, either breaking the mounting studs or cracking itself

Q: There's a free play in steering
A: If the obvious items like tie-rod ends prove to be OK, then you may try adjusting the steering gear.

Q: I hear strange clunking noises coming from suspension
A: This is the list of possible causes (most common first)
Upper strut mounts
Struts
Tie rods
Missing or broken upper plastic spring bearing
Inside control arm bushing
Control arm lower ball joint

also THE check list

1.- Check all four windows for operation from driver door and individual doors, both directions.
2.- Check rear lateral view mirrors from passenger door
3.- Check central locking systems all doors with release from front passenger and driver doors respectively.
4.- Open trunk.. check for interior light, evidence of water/rust under carpet, availability of tools, spare and jack (special Audi)
5.- In trunk check for condition of rear speakers and/or presence of CD/Amplifier.
6.- Turn radio on (ignition off) check operation of automatic antenna (up down at least 5 cycles)
7.- Open hood bring hood down to 5 inches from closed position, release without pushing or throwing. Hood should latch both sides.
8. - Reopen hood visually check driver side of block for presence of oil. Check surface of area where car normally parks ( home garage, dealer lot ) for evidence of drips, spills or other indications of fluid leaks.
9.- Visually check levels of fluids in following reservoirs. Windshield washers, Hydraulic systems -this one is very important -(brake/power steering ( Pentosin is fluid )), brakes (brake fluid), engine coolant.
10.- Check condition and flexibility of all possible hoses big, long , short and small. Specially critical are turbo to intercooler and intercooler to intake manifold. Hoses related to PVC systems should not be flat or mushy.
11.- Check visually all electrical connectors for presence of metal retaining clip.
12.- Carefully check for cracks with hand contact all visible & reachable rubber boots, special attention to steering rack and CV joints.
13.- Request info and data on timing belt and water pump replacement. date & mileage.
14.- Data on brake rotors, calipers/pads. Purging/flushing of brake fluid.
15.- Under car (suggest strongly to inspect) Presence of oil around turbo specially in the piping to an from oil cooler. Likewise for water hoses for turbo cooling ( turbo functioning to be checked later)
16.- Complete the hand and visual inspection of CV joint boots (inner and outer)
17.- Using trouble light inspect for oil leaks the front and rear parts of crankcase for main bearing seals condition.
18.- Visually inspect exterior of centre muffler, catalytic converter, rear resonator and all hanging points including rubber hangers.
19.- Check each wheel individually for visible condition of rotor, brake cylinder, calliper and thickness of pads. Special attention to condition of electrical connectors for pad wear and ABS sensing.

20.- Get into driver seat... Do not start engine !

21.- Turn ignition on check for OK readout display of Autocheck system. Place computer selector to read boost pressure (bar) and check for 0.9 bar read out. Check for following lights to be on: Engine check small engine and Anti lock brakes in yellow Batt, Seat Belt in Read Apply emergency brake to lock Red light should come on (Brake) Open doors sequentially door light should come on (red) When opening driver door with ignition key in lock beeping alarm should sound
22.- Place sustained pressure to brake pedal hold and ...

22.- Start engine, check for oil pressure light coming on and turning off in less than two seconds, brake pedal should give slightly as hydraulic pressure reaches booster cylinder (good signal).
23.- Check idle speed with climate control in economy position at least 800 to 850 rpms
24.- Slowly rotate steering to full lock left and full lock right, hold position at full lock for 20 seconds, pump brake pedal rapidly for 6 or 7 times and hold, check for auto check system (brake) light blinking if not... very good... release everything...
25.- Slowly depress accelerator pedal until 3000 rpm is reached release suddenly check for delayed decay of RPM's to 800 (slower that return of pedal)
26.- Allow engine to idle, set air conditioner temperature to 75 and to AUTO, listen for clicking noise from compressor clutch energizing set back to ECON and back to Auto 3 or 4 times, idle speed should remain fairly steady ( good)
27.- Operate sun roof as follows (assume roof is closed) Press forward side of switch and HOLD, roof should open at an angle and stop. release switch. Press back side of switch and hold, roof should close and STOP. release switch . Press back side of switch and hold... roof should travel to back to fully open and stop without any loud clicking noise. It did, good . release switch. Press forward side of switch and HOLD... roof should fully close without stopping and without continuing to open position. Release switch. Do not over exercise sun roof without adequate lubrication !!! just test it 2 times.
28 .- Engage reverse gear and slowly very slowly release clutch and brake pedals ( objective is to move car about 2 or 3 inches ( do not rev engine more than 1200 rpm's) Have girlfriend from outside of car observe forward tires for vibration ( visible and noticeable ) while clutch pedal is released and tires try to move 2 to 3 inches. If wheels vibrate clutch remedies in the future may be necessary. It is also possible that a caliper or calipers are sticking ( not to bad to fix )
29.- Switch on board computer to MPG reading, read out should be: 21.o to 23.0 if driving in city all time with air cond on 23.0 to 25.0 combined city and some road highway driving. 25.0 to 28.0 Mostly highway with air 28.0 to 31.5 all highway w/o air and properly tuned ( maybe a little lean) oxygen sensor crying in despair. Above readings assume car not overloaded and inflation pressure OK.
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

5-pot

That's a fairly long list...  The temptation is waning...  :-\

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

HandsomeDan

That looks like about three hours of joyless checking before you even get to drive the thing...;)
1998 Mk III Golf,
1992 B4 Audi 80
2007 Toyota RAV4
2003 Opel Zafira GSi 2.2
2007 Volvo XC70

BB

Its an excellent list but im sure taking the thing for a good drive and checking everything like the windows and stuff wouldd be enough. Its a dealer selling it so they wont sell you total crap as they have to stand by things. Its cheap so it will sell. And its a quattro. Manual ..... you getting tempted again?

Salty

I'm sure every model of car could have a check list like that.  Whatever you do - don't read the dog and lemon guide before buying a 5pot unless you really want issues.
Now in air cooled. '70 fastback 1835 turbo
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI
2013 Triumph Street triple R

5-pot

Quote from: BB on July 04, 2007, 09:18:34 AM
And its a quattro. Manual ..... you getting tempted again?

Dammit dammit dammit.   Yes!

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI