S3 Questions

Started by RS ZWEI, July 26, 2007, 10:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Do the first model S3s have MFAs? If so do they have oil temp and outside temp?

Where is the VAGCOM plug in a S3/A3?

How often does the diff oil need changing (kms)?

How long do clutches normally last?

Does the Haldex in the S3 mean that the car runs FWD in standard driving conditions? If this is the case does that mean that power is not lost in the drivetrain?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

nordschleife

I've got a question too.  Could someone comfortably sit in the back of an S3 for a 3-4 hour trip if they were 5"10 - 6 foot?  Is there much room in the back?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

qta4

Quote from: nordschleife on July 26, 2007, 11:34:24 AM
I've got a question too.  Could someone comfortably sit in the back of an S3 for a 3-4 hour trip if they were 5"10 - 6 foot?  Is there much room in the back?

You certainly can, if the driver and front passenger are vertically challenged. >:D
Answer is, suggest passengers buy their own S3. ;D

Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Trofeo

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on July 26, 2007, 10:32:08 AM
Do the first model S3s have MFAs? If so do they have oil temp and outside temp? Don't know what an MFA is, but mine has outside temp only.

Where is the VAGCOM plug in a S3/A3? varies - centre console under ashtray in mine, however previous (same year) had it next to the bonnet release

How often does the diff oil need changing (kms)? Haldex oil is 60Kms or 5 years

How long do clutches normally last? 100kms for a chipped car, longer for standard

Does the Haldex in the S3 mean that the car runs FWD in standard driving conditions? If this is the case does that mean that power is not lost in the drivetrain? you are correct.

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

RS ZWEI

Quote from: MTMS3 on July 26, 2007, 01:13:48 PM

Sorry I was meaning the computer (switch of the right hand stork), like on my VR6. can you scroll through a list of Oil temp, L/100Kms, Travel time, Trip Kms etc
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Trofeo

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on July 26, 2007, 01:49:39 PM
Sorry I was meaning the computer (switch of the right hand stork), like on my VR6. can you scroll through a list of Oil temp, L/100Kms, Travel time, Trip Kms etc

yep but it only has avg speed, travel time, L/100kms, Avg L/100kms, Kms till empty. Outside temp is separate and always shown, as is the radio station/CD information
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Mike

Haldex equipped Golfs/A3 (incl S3) deliver very little drive to rear wheels under normal circumstances. Drive is diverted to rear wheels only when fronts start to slip (hard cornering, fast take-offs from lights etc). I have seen advertised a modified Haldex controller that delivers some drive to rear wheels at all times, so it is more like a 'proper' quattro. The Haldex system functions like a clutch, except it is a wet (surrounded by fluid) clutch system, not dry like a normal clutch, and is electronically controlled. The controller tells the Haldex unit when to engage and disengage, and provides variable amounts of drive to the axles according to sensor signals.

I don't know the Haldex fluid change intervals.

I'm sure it is a great system, but if it went wrong for any reason it would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix (tho I'm sure this applies to almost all modern cars). The traditional quattro systems are more mechanical.

I've read of only one problem with a Haldex unit. Anyone heard of others?

djrisk

Haldex oil needs changing every 60kms according to the handbook.
There is no oil temp sensor on a S3.
Vagcom plug is underneath steering wheel by bonnet catch.
Clutches would last 100kms if treated well.
Haldex is FWD normally, doesnt feel like there is much loss through the drivetrain, i used to get torque steer after it was tuned!!
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

djrisk

Quote from: nordschleife on July 26, 2007, 11:34:24 AM
Yeah theres plenty of room (head/foot) in the back provided the guy in front isnt too tall, its just a bitch to move those heavy seats :P
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Audidude

Actually drive is directed to the rear far more frequently than you think. The Haldex unit is extremely sensitive to differences in rotational speed of the wheels at front and rear.

This occurs on ANY cornering as the front wheels travel slightly faster than the rear as the rear follow a shorter distance around the corner (look at any trailer to see an exaggerated example of this). On acceleration the rears are compressed and the fronts expand as weight comes off the front and goes to the rear. Both these conditions activate the Haldex and transfer some torque to the rear.

Under braking the Haldex disengages drive to the rear.

So while it is true to say that under most circumstances the Haldex puts most of the torque to the front, just about the only situation when 100% goes to the front is when cruising steady speed in straight line and under braking.

Front tyres wear much quicker than rears, much more so than for Torsen equipped cars.

As I understand it.

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Audidude

Quote from: qta4 on July 26, 2007, 01:01:36 PM
You certainly can, if the driver and front passenger are vertically challenged. >:D
Answer is, suggest passengers buy their own S3. ;D

I'm vertically challenged AND I sit quite close to the wheel compared to the straight arm "pose" of many "drivers". there is plenty of room for 6 footers behind me but otherwise it can be a bit crimped.

Cheers

5-pot

do you have your hat peak to the right at a 20-degree declination angle?  You gotta have your seat right down low so you can hardly see over the dashboard.  It helps lower your centre of gravity!   ::)
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

nordschleife

Quote from: 5-pot on July 27, 2007, 01:59:41 PM
do you have your hat peak to the right at a 20-degree declination angle?  You gotta have your seat right down low so you can hardly see over the dashboard.  It helps lower your centre of gravity!   ::)

Really?!!  ::)
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

nordschleife

Test drove a 2002 S3 225 yesterday and to be honest I was very disappionted with the performance.  Perhaps this one was just a dud (it had been sitting for a few months) but a MK5 GTI would have out performed it without even trying.  I'd say Nik's VR6 would have been quicker as well as my little 1600cc Toyota.

It was a nice car but felt more like 150 - 180 bhp - nowhere near 225.

How do S3s normally go against MK5 GTIs?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

djrisk

Quote from: nordschleife on July 29, 2007, 09:19:01 AM
You would need to launch hard to beat it. I put some small gains on a GTI DSG but my S3 was tuned.
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Audidude

Quote from: nordschleife on July 29, 2007, 09:19:01 AM
Test drove a 2002 S3 225 yesterday and to be honest I was very disappionted with the performance.  Perhaps this one was just a dud (it had been sitting for a few months) but a MK5 GTI would have out performed it without even trying.  I'd say Nik's VR6 would have been quicker as well as my little 1600cc Toyota.

It was a nice car but felt more like 150 - 180 bhp - nowhere near 225.

Not sure re the standard S3 but a chipped one would eat it - 5.7s to 100k - and that underestimates it's mid-range poke as there is a 2nd to 3rd change reqd before you get to 100.

Also, the S3 is a very refined car and refinement can lead you to underestimate performance - you really need to check it against the stopwatch.

The 80-120 split in 3rd gear is always a good yardstick and it doesn't nuke the clutch like 0-100k - my S3 did 80-120 in 3.4s which is within a 10th of the M3s time - that's the potential out of that car - remember it only weighs 1375kg which on tyoday's standards is light (A3 is over 1500!!).

Buy one, chip it, and you have one of the quickest point-to-point road cars around. Stealthy too which is cool  8)

Cheers

Turbo

i haven't driven an S3 but audidude could be right. it might not feel quick, but it is.

when i first got my S4 it didn't feel that much quicker than my A4, the power delivery was so smooth - but you look at the speedo and get a bit of a shock.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

nordschleife

Quote from: Audidude on July 29, 2007, 11:19:39 AM

Buy one, chip it, and you have one of the quickest point-to-point road cars around. Stealthy too which is cool  8)

Cheers

Stealth is what I'm after  8)

What sort of chip is best?  Which company makes the one where you select different maps via the trip computer?

Am I right in thinking that there is no advantage to going for a 225 over a 210 if it is going to be chipped anyway?  Both with give around 250 once chipped?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

nordschleife

Quote from: Turbo on July 29, 2007, 11:55:25 AM
i haven't driven an S3 but audidude could be right. it might not feel quick, but it is.

when i first got my S4 it didn't feel that much quicker than my A4, the power delivery was so smooth - but you look at the speedo and get a bit of a shock.

Could be right but as soon as I got into the Toyota it felt much more lively.  I have been spoilt with driving quick cars lately though - E46 M3 and 996 Turbo.  That 996 is one car where you don't realise how quick you are going due to it being so capable - makes it very easy to lose your license  :police:

The S3 did seem to free up a little after a quick blat.  Might see if I can drive another one today to compare.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

djrisk

Quote from: nordschleife on July 29, 2007, 12:01:58 PM
Stealth is what I'm after  8)

What sort of chip is best?  Which company makes the one where you select different maps via the trip computer?

Am I right in thinking that there is no advantage to going for a 225 over a 210 if it is going to be chipped anyway?  Both with give around 250 once chipped?
Any decent chiptuning company like superchips or chiptuning should be able to get 250/260 hp out of a S3. APR makes the switchable maps but they cost quite a bit. Mine was running a 1.4 bar remap from chiptuning (rougly 260hp/350NM) and kept up with Evo's and Wrx's. But was so smooth, it lures you into a false sense of security. I didnt loose my licence, but i lost the car being careless. :-[
225 facelift version is the better of the 2 cars IMO, ESP controller, new badges and the VVT makes it ever so slightly smoother than the 210. Although the 225 cant seem to handle as higher tune as the 210, probably also due to the VVT. Steves 210 S3 made more outright power on the dyno than my 225, but were equally as quick on the road.
Another difference between the 2 is the suspension and haldex setup. 210 S3s have a more RWD bias than the 225, so dont understeer as much under power. However the suspension setup is again improved on the 225 over the 210.
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P