S3 Questions

Started by RS ZWEI, July 26, 2007, 10:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordschleife

1.4 bar seems pretty high.  Is it safe to be running it that high all the time?  How much boost do they run with a MTM chip?  What about standard?
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

Trofeo

My MTM ran 24psi which i think is around 1.4 bar?? my new one is running 22psi however it produces 290HP over the MTM's 250. Basically it holds the boost for a lot longer whereas the MTM peaked briefly at 24 before dropping back to under 20.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

RS ZWEI

Quote from: MTMS3 on July 30, 2007, 12:22:28 PM
My MTM ran 24psi which i think is around 1.4 bar?? my new one is running 22psi however it produces 290HP over the MTM's 250. Basically it holds the boost for a lot longer whereas the MTM peaked briefly at 24 before dropping back to under 20.

What chip do you have in your new S3?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Trofeo

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on July 30, 2007, 12:45:48 PM
What chip do you have in your new S3?

it was done by Kurt at Chiptuning. I must admit we were both surprised at the power it developed. I expected 265ish but the dyno doesn't lie!

I'm really thrilled with it, heaps of go, very very smooth, and still really good on gas. I get around 9L/100kms on my weekly pilgrimage to Tairua from AKL. Sure, most of the journey is flat, but the Kopu Hikuai road isn't  ;D Around town it is more like 11L/100km
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Turbo

Quote from: MTMS3 on July 30, 2007, 02:32:42 PM
it was done by Kurt at Chiptuning. I must admit we were both surprised at the power it developed. I expected 265ish but the dyno doesn't lie!

I'm really thrilled with it, heaps of go, very very smooth, and still really good on gas. I get around 9L/100kms on my weekly pilgrimage to Tairua from AKL. Sure, most of the journey is flat, but the Kopu Hikuai road isn't  ;D Around town it is more like 11L/100km

that's impressive for just a chip. how'd you work out the bhp? what was the whp?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Trofeo

Quote from: Turbo on July 30, 2007, 02:43:37 PM
that's impressive for just a chip. how'd you work out the bhp? what was the whp?
Torque performance did the conversion - it was 220Hp at the wheels. So that's around a 24% loss through the 4WD system.
Also, my car doesn't have a cat or the standard exhaust.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Turbo

Quote from: MTMS3 on July 30, 2007, 03:33:49 PM

Also, my car doesn't have a cat or the standard exhaust.

ah, that makes more sense. ~40hp from the chip, ~30hp from the cat/zorst.

does the haldex have that much of a drivetrain loss on the awd dyno? is it running to all 4 wheels equally?
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Audidude

I'd be very careful about overboosting - my first S3 had an MTM chip - it had a huge early punch of torque - much more so than the Oettinger in the 2nd S3.

My understanding was that the MTM chip overboosted initially to give that kick and your post confirms that I think. Problem was that my first S3 sustained some piston damage and needed a new short block (under warranty thank god) but EMD were VERY secretive about the actual damage and I never got the full story - just a new short block so I couldn't complain.

Soon after EMD went to Oettinger for dealer upgrades and dropped MTM - through the grapevine I heard that there was a high incidence of warranty claims on cars with the MTM chips.

The Oettinger chip was far smoother and nicer to drive - the curve felt like standard only stronger. The performance of the 2 cars was pretty much the same which indicates I think that they both have similar potential.

Watching this thread with interest to see what comes out of The Bay!!

Cheers
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

djrisk

Quote from: MTMS3 on July 30, 2007, 02:32:42 PM

Yeah my initial tune from Kurt suffered from over boosting (26psi peak @ 3000rpm), and we didnt get it right untill the third time. But then i refer you to my comment about the pre-facelift not suffering from tuning as much as the facelift. I also got good fuel economy.

Quote from: nordschleife on July 30, 2007, 12:11:18 PM
1.4 bar seems pretty high.  Is it safe to be running it that high all the time?  How much boost do they run with a MTM chip?  What about standard?
1.4 bar is approx 21PSI. not much more considering they run about .9bar 14PSI standard.
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

djrisk

Your MTM would have been over 250hp with no cats etc
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Trofeo

Quote from: djrisk on July 30, 2007, 08:24:35 PM
Your MTM would have been over 250hp with no cats etc
no i don't believe it would have. It was 250 with the chip, filter and rear muffler. Removing the cat made no noticeable difference. Also, when my current S3 had the filter, NO cat, and full exhaust, it still only made 210Hp. Wasn't until the chip that it increased.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

djrisk

Thats wierd, sometimes the ECU takes time to recalibrate itself. I noticed the difference when i put a K+N and a milltek catback on mine. Everyday for about a month it got a little better.
Thats the beauty of chiptuning i guess, each map is different depending on the mods your car already has and also how you want your car to behave.
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Turbo

MTM told me that if i took my cat out it would need a remap. this seems to be echoed with the views i've read elsewhere. to get the full benefit out of losing the cat, the chip has to "know" it's not there.
perhaps this is what you were seeing with your old car, and that the custom remap at chiptuning has addressed it.