PROJECT CAR: Kiwihigh's Mk2

Started by kiwihigh, August 20, 2007, 02:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwihigh

Well though it was bout time to start a write up on the Golf build.

Have so far brought the car.. 1988 3Dr 1800 8v manual.

New Engine 9a 2.0ltr 16v
Throttle boddies
Megasquirt ECU
And some nice Disk Brakes all thanks to Barry ( M )

car is currently sitting at home with the new motor and ITB's in the garage.

Plan is to slowly strip everything out of the engine bay and then go about cleaning it all and getting it ready for the new motor to go in.
Have Pics that i will load tonight and keep a bit of a thread going on the build process and any tricky bits that i come accross.

stage 1 of the build is 150hp.

Stage 2 ( starting once credit card is cleared) 190+Hp and some coilovers...

Stage 3 Nice paint and shaved body.

8)
BUILT not bought

Filx

Good work! Sounds like it'll be a ripper and I'm looking forward to seeing some pics along the way  :)
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

dubstar

Quote from: kiwihigh on August 20, 2007, 02:14:32 PM
Stage 2 ( starting once credit card is cleared) 190+Hp and some coilovers...

So you're going turbo at stage 2? probably not worth bolting the throttle bodies on if you're going turbo?
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

kiwihigh

Nah hope to stay away from turbos at the moment. 

Hopefully looking at some big cams exhaust and a good tune with the 33lb injectors that are in the throttle boddies. Been reading up on the VWvortex/ megasquirt  sites and seams like this set up should be good to close to that power. mabe  ;D

BUILT not bought

dubstar

Quote from: kiwihigh on August 20, 2007, 03:25:50 PM
Nah hope to stay away from turbos at the moment. 

Hopefully looking at some big cams exhaust and a good tune with the 33lb injectors that are in the throttle boddies. Been reading up on the VWvortex/ megasquirt  sites and seams like this set up should be good to close to that power. mabe  ;D

I think to get to that power on an NA would require some very serious bottom end work, head work and tuning. 

Sounds like a cool project.  Keep us updated!
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

kiwihigh

Right time to put up some pics...

Stock engine bay.

9a motor

Throttle Boddies

Hmmmm Red Stuff pads..

More pics as i clean up/repaint the calipars and progress through the build
BUILT not bought

kiwihigh

Well  strated to pull it to bits today till i cut my finger on the hacksaw cutting out the A/C  :-[
But air box and alternator and all the crap thats ontop of the tappet cover has all gone now...

Cant get over how much loom there is in the car that just wasnt pluged into anything.

Will start again tomorow after work its hard with a torch and blood :D
BUILT not bought

GTI's

I'm always amazed at the weight of aircon pumps! and all the other crap to hook it up!
the 76 mk 1 had factory air con in it. jap import. all gone now!

Da Original GTI

:-\ is it better to go with the 16v or the 8v?

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Da Original GTI

;D
Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on August 22, 2007, 09:00:33 AM
A 9a engine is a 16V.

::)Yes i know but the question is would it be better to do up an 8v engine or a 16v engine? :laugh:

robh

what do you want road torque or track revs?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

kiwihigh

Im not really sure which one is better but have wanted to keep the car a 2ltr and N/A and can get more power from the 16v, ITB's and ECU than i could have made from my stuffed 8v motor and the $$$ i spent to get the set up.

BUILT not bought

kiwihigh

Another hour tonight and its coming to bits nicely...

BUILT not bought

kiwihigh

Well finally got the engine out...
Now time to strip the rest of the engine bay and paint it.

Any one want some 8v parts... only got 200,000 km on them..  :laugh:

and the end of the day  8)

BUILT not bought

kiwihigh

Well ive hit a bit of a stop.

Been waiting for the credit card company to verify my address ive got an order for the new hand brake cables and new clutch disk and some other wee bits coming from autohausaz.com so its just all sitting waiting  >:(

trial fitted the rear disks last night and looks like i need an extention on the brake lines but the bonus is that the wheel bearings are interchangable so at least i can use the new bearings to get the WOF and found a place to get it road legal once the new engine is in.

Found that the 8v exhaust is not even close to fitting on the 9a motor so have sorted a mate ( pete's customs )to make a custom 4-2-1 system for $600 which isnt too bad.
I have the muffler which is a nice RPS twin outlet one that will go on the back.

Managed to strip the old motor right back to the block and found that one of the valves has made contact with #1 piston so would take a stab that the cam belt has either skipped a few notches or broken and hence the new belt a couple of tho k's ago and the motor was cooked and the big end bearings were poked.

Managed to scavenge the new water pump off the old motor as it was new only 500km's old and planning on making the old block into a coffee table as something a bit different.

Will update soon as i get the new clutch disk and get the dam motor back in.

Joys of a full upgrade.

BUILT not bought

kiwihigh

Well got up this morning woundering what the hell to do as its a nice sunny day in chch except the wind.
Got a knock at the door and it was a courier with my parts from the states....
So new clutch disk in and engine back together.
Then after some swearing and cursing it finally starting to take shape now the engine sits happily in its new home ..  ;D

Now to start on wiring it up getting the fuel lines on and the new exhaust made up...
Then im not sure what the next hold up eill be lol

BUILT not bought

mark2 golf

that was quick. it looks nice and pretty
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

kiwihigh

Cheers im quite pleased with the way its coming up...

Another productive day.

And it still looks the same outside  :police:

BUILT not bought

Natesgti

Nice work man, throttle bodies looking nice :)