PROJECT CAR: Kiwihigh's Mk2

Started by kiwihigh, August 20, 2007, 02:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

Quote from: kiwihigh on October 01, 2007, 09:26:49 AM

Yea the fuel line is chemicaly rated... Ive had cheap fuel hoses explode on the Evo so DONT BUY YOUR FUEL HOSE FROM PARA RUBBER....  :laugh: i should have known better...

lol!  :laugh:

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

kiwihigh

well finished one side.....

This isnt the final colour just looked better than the primer  :P

BUILT not bought

kiwihigh

Well im slowly getting there its been a fair bit more work than i had imagined  :-\

So have both sides of the car Shaved for lack of a better word.

I put the new C/V boot on ( Brought the streachy ones from BNT) Still a f@%ken mission to get on.
Ive mounted the alternator after having to swap some parts between them so that the belt ran nice and square and had to shorten the brace to make it fit.

Now just need to try and track down a top radiator hose pick up an electric fan for the radiator and then tow it down to pete's customs to get a new 2 1/2" exhaust made up wire in the megasquirt and cross my fingers  ;)

BUILT not bought

mark2 golf

89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

bsting

Is the final coat on? Take the indicator off and fill the hole.

kiwihigh

Quote from: mark2 golf on October 05, 2007, 06:05:01 PM
did you use a stretchy machine

Not for the first one i streached it over a jar then over the C/V but picked up a road cone that is going to act as the tool for the other one  :police: ;D

Quote from: bsting on October 05, 2007, 06:07:14 PM
Is the final coat on? Take the indicator off and fill the hole.

Nah its just a can of red paint in the mean time.. just looked better than the primer.
Aiming for a dark red metalic.. Just getting the paint priced atm might look at it in a couple of months but just wanna get it going then will tidy it up.
BUILT not bought

kiwihigh

Well i got sick of looking at the car and having nothing to do to it ( have to wait till mid nov before its at a stage where we can turn the key  >:( ) so asked my mate if i just paint the car matt black if it can just be painted over... She said it was fine so its been turned Matt black  :laugh:

BUILT not bought

mark2 golf

i hate Matt black cars but i have to say that looks good
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

GTI's

>:D MATT BLACK = MEAN! >:D

even faster than Red!   
;D

rambo_005

bigbumper

black suede really suits it nicely, I prefer it to the red

kiwihigh

finally got the car down to pete's customs to get it mani and exhaust made up....

Should have it back in bout a week 10 days then its installing the megasquirt and seeing if i can figure out how to tune it  :D :D

150-160hp and striped MK2 and itb's im getting all excited lol

BUILT not bought

robh

Do you have a wideband gauge or meter?

I'm sure you are already aware but you can't tune accurately with narrow band, be careful that you don't use wide open throttle or heavy loadings on engine until you or someone else has tuned with wideband.

Tell me to shutup if this is old news for you :)
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

kiwihigh

yea i know that i need a wideband... which i dont have atm :(

i got a mate with one that im hoping to borrow till i buy a LM-1 just dont have the couple of hundy to get one with the headers and exhaust costing round $1200

tho in saying that i might get NZefi in chch to do the fine tuning on the dyno dont really feel like replacing bottom ends to oftern.

BUILT not bought

robh

I think tuning with a wideband is something you can do yourself with good results, but and here is the big but, setting up your ignition map is something best left to the pro's and takes previous experiance/knowledge to get right.  Very hard to measure if you have your ignition on the correct side of power versus blowing up :)

Someone in the world must have used megasquirt on a 9A with ITB's, see if you can get a ignition and fuel map from them, get your mate to help you fine tune the fuelling without putting too much load on the engine and then you can get NZefi to fine tune for you.

Does megasquirt have a master fuel setting?  If so you could fine tune the sample map from someone else with the master fuel setting rather than individual fuel cells and then leave it to the pro's to finish off.

I drove my car from East to West Auckland (to the dyno shop) after very rough tuning with narrow band and they actually drive ok, but I never placed any significant load on it.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

kiwihigh

apparently the MS that i have was previously running on a 9a with the itbs but had a high lift cam and high comp pistons so the base map should be close enough to get it to start but will need to be fine tuned.
I think getting someone to tune it on the dyno or even a road tune should be easy enough but no one in chch that i have found seams to have any experience with the MS so that could be interesting.

BUILT not bought

Period_Correct_

there are a few guys running itbs on a 9a in the megasquirt community, check on vwvortex and MS forums...
I would help out, however auckland is quite far away... you can PM or call if you like...

i would say, start with the stock 9a ignition map, and use the VE table generator to give you a rough map... then turn off the 02 correction settings in the exhaust gas settings
controller step size 0
contoller authority 0

then datalog your drive, preferralby around 30mins to an hour.... dont push over 3krpm...

then use megalogviewer to adjust your VW table...

read the tuning section on this... its in the megamanual...

if you get stuck, let me know...

Dont fret... you'll get it easy...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

SteveC

it needs some flames to set off the matt black just nicely   >:D

kiwihigh

Quote from: SteveC on November 09, 2007, 05:33:06 PM
it needs some flames to set off the matt black just nicely   >:D

Funny you should say that my mate is a parts importer and we just got some flame thrower kits  :laugh:

Also got a very nice strut brace that looks awesome.
Will fit it when i get the car back and take some pics and might be able to get some more imported if people are keen.
BUILT not bought

uero-jet

Quotemight be able to get some more imported if people are keen
;D count me in