PROJECT: Red Rabbit

Started by Angle, September 07, 2007, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angle

Brought her home tonight. Tomorrow's going to be a big clean-up to see what I've got.

Broadside

My two co-drivers. They insisted I keep two hands on the wheel "as it was an old car and wasn't as safe as a new one"....too much lecturing on my part about the Anglia's quirks.

GTI's

Good to see you choose light weight co-pilots!
2 heads is better than one.

Welcome to the MK1 arena.

car Looks good and tidy :)

BB

Good you got the correct fuel cap they are quite rare. Check your filler neck for rust.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Angle

Quote from: BB on September 08, 2007, 11:38:34 AM
Good you got the correct fuel cap they are quite rare. Check your filler neck for rust.

Didn't see anything but the black 'flat' paint/coating used on the rear trunk lid. Frustrating thing is I need three keys to use all the locks.

Shocks and/or springs are tired, perhaps both, as it bottoms out easily. Will start with new inserts and go from there. Unless anyone has some used suspension in good nick sitting around? ;D

I need several small items, and I guess the seats are a lost cause in terms of finding new material. I really like the fabric, but it's nowhere close to the original vibrant colors, and the drivers seat is just about done in. Door window rubbers look to need replacement, and perhaps being gentle with the rest will save me the hassle and cost of replacement.

Transmission shifting is getting sloppier the longer I drive it, and it occasionally doesn't turn off. Will spend some more time on her and see what else I dig up.

BB

The Trans will be just a bush in the linkage.
Id get some new springs and shocks if its bottoming out the springs will be rooted.

Angle

This is the end result I'm aiming for. If I get lucky I'll have a few dollars to spend on the engine, but I think I'll find it will take all my funds to re-spray and get the mechanicals sorted out. I'm hoping to have the car complete in 30 days. Thank goodness John has stuck up his hand and offered his help. Seems the clutch will need replacing as well .... :-\

Does anyone have 3 more of these lying around? It's a start, as I don't recognise the steelies on the car above.

rambo_005

Quote from: AngleBox on September 08, 2007, 06:49:55 PM
Does anyone have 3 more of these lying around? It's a start, as I don't recognise the steelies on the car above.

VASK member Lee has 3 of that style steel rim on the Scirocco GTI I recently sold him - send him a PM.

I have one of those wheels that are on that red GTI above, not very common it seems.

bsting

You could buy the steelies new, thinks they are $90 each
pm Neil or 16vgti

dubstar

In regards to fabric for the seats.  There was an article on a UK upholsteror who did all the top UK interiors.  Their tip was to take off the seat covers, unpick the stitching and turn the fabric inside out.  After a quick wash it looked brand new!

Also, the locks on the mk1/ mk2 are very easy to recode.  I found a great website on it once.  Will try to find it again.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Angle

Quote from: dubstar on September 09, 2007, 09:50:17 AM
In regards to fabric for the seats.  There was an article on a UK upholsteror who did all the top UK interiors.  Their tip was to take off the seat covers, unpick the stitching and turn the fabric inside out.  After a quick wash it looked brand new!
Also, the locks on the mk1/ mk2 are very easy to recode.  I found a great website on it once.  Will try to find it again.

I have worked with Ross Autosport in Albany to make some seats and door cards for me on another car, and was going to ask him what options I had with the interior. Glad to hear reversing the material may bring it back to life, as I am really wrapped with it. Sent an e-mail to a shop in the States to see if they carried the material. The rear seats are nearly worn through on top, so need to re-inforce the fabric when re-doing them. Look forward to the link on the locks as well. Does anyone locally sell original VW key blanks?

Mike

The dealer will sell 'AH' blanks (used on all VW/Audis of that era to about 1995) with the VW logo on them, only drawback is they are about $50 each. There is also a late Audi verson with a light in it. If you don't fancy the $$$tealer option, try UK or US parts houses. Even with airfreight they often work out cheaper. 

The AH blank (so called because they have 'AH' stamped on them) is still a very common type - aval from any key cutter for around $7 but they won't have the plastic bit on the end with the VW logo - will be just plain metal.

Any key cutter can cut them. 

BB

With the locks you just pull the handle and lock apart and then when you have the barrel out put the key in it and then file off all the bits that still stick out till its smooth and will spin when you put in back in the handle. There will still be enough to make it still work as i lock when the key is removed. I've done this tons of times.

And have fun getting some old school steel bumpers in good nick, Ive finally got some after 8 years of searching. I just tidyed them up will put some photos up on my rebuild post.

Angle

Thanks for the heads up on the locks. Can you guys confirm what goes in this hole?

Angle

Just got back from a spin. What a blast. Once the suspension, brakes, tranny and clutch work correctly, I'm going to be in heaven. With the 4spd this is the RPM's at different speeds in top gear as tested on a private road. How does it compare to the 5 speed?

100kmh    3100 or 3200 RPM
120kmh    3900 RPM
140kmh    4400 RPM

Engine had more to go, but the front end wasn't having a bar of it, shuddering badly.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 09, 2007, 01:18:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the locks. Can you guys confirm what goes in this hole?

That hole is just a blank, I have my alarm light in there. I think in european cars in may have been for fog lights.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

BB

You got the old dash Ive got an instrument panel that i had fixed if you ever fry your speedo hair spring because the earth fails and it starts earthing through the hair spring ;)

Angle

I've noticed the tacho 'wanders' when cruising, although not all the time. I'm also looking for a control lever, as the one installed keeps falling out. I've circled it in the previous photo. Thanks for the heads up BB.

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Angle

Thanks for the links. Some smoke at start-up, and I've lost the 'parking' light feature out of the driver side light, although it was working earlier in the day. This went away after a quick blast around, but it was pretty heavy for the first minute or less.

Also looks as if top mount is shot on drivers side.

Here's the oil cooler. Reading one of Jem's earlier posts, I'm not sure how to get the oil out of it.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 09, 2007, 07:12:53 PM
Thanks for the links. Some smoke at start-up, and I've lost the 'parking' light feature out of the driver side light, although it was working earlier in the day. This went away after a quick blast around, but it was pretty heavy for the first minute or less.

Also looks as if top mount is shot on drivers side.

Here's the oil cooler. Reading one of Jem's earlier posts, I'm not sure how to get the oil out of it.

Top mounts have had there chips, if you can put you finger in the gap they its time to replace them.

I dont know if the oil cooler in much of a problem. In my 11 years of Mk1 GTI ownership Ive never made a special to empty the oil out. Anyway in Auckland motorway traffic the engine should get warm enough to open the oil cooler.

BTW, is your GTI NZ new?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8