PROJECT: Red Rabbit

Started by Angle, September 07, 2007, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angle

I'm afraid to answer that question  ;) . Not sure at this point, but I don't think so as it's a '79 and I believe it was first registered in 81 ? Waiting on some written history from the previous owner, although if I've got it correct, Grandma bought it and it never left the family.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 09, 2007, 07:33:50 PM
I'm afraid to answer that question  ;) . Not sure at this point, but I don't think so as it's a '79 and I believe it was first registered in 81 ? Waiting on some written history from the previous owner, although if I've got it correct, Grandma bought it and it never left the family.

It should have a date of first registration on the registration card on the windscreen.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Angle

Registered 11/81. Is the smoking above normal?

BB

Yes the smoke is bad they do smoke heavily when they start.
I have a very good 1.6 motor that was pretty much rebuilt with a rebuilt ottenger head with cam, big valves, port and polish etc etc.
The thing it needs now is (either nothing as it goes fine I just pulled it so i could fit noels donk i bought) some race pistons fitted to both increase the capacity and also to increase the compression as its a 1.6 heron head engine.
It had ross race pistons in it when i got it and it hauled ass but was rooted. I rebuilt the head and fitted it to a good 1.6 block that got new rings and bearing plus all the gaskets and seals. Done about 10.000kms.
Interested?
In my opinion this is the best way to do up a golf motor as i like the heron head and dished pistons.
Is the 1.6 crankshaft different too a 1.8 engine? They always said the 1.6 reved smoother, hopefully this should carry over even if you do fit race slugs. I had Ross race pistons in it.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Angle

The joys of old car ownership. That special smell that old VW's have, the joy of simple driving controls, and just having the time to watch traffic on the motorway, resting on the median barrier, getting back in touch with your surroundings.

Lucky for me, the spark came back after a quick check once a cop pushed me across the motorway to the shoulder. Fouled points. Geez, I just assummed it had an electronic distributor. So will pick up new points, rotor, condensor and leads. I should probably get a new capacitor as well.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 10, 2007, 10:12:47 AM
The joys of old car ownership. That special smell that old VW's have, the joy of simple driving controls, and just having the time to watch traffic on the motorway, resting on the median barrier, getting back in touch with your surroundings.

Lucky for me, the spark came back after a quick check once a cop pushed me across the motorway to the shoulder. Fouled points. Geez, I just assummed it had an electronic distributor. So will pick up new points, rotor, condensor and leads. I should probably get a new capacitor as well.

Later Mk1 GTI (with the facelift rear lights) had done away with points.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Angle

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on September 10, 2007, 10:15:45 AM
Later Mk1 GTI (with the facelift rear lights) had done away with points.

Are the dizzy's interchangeable?

http://www.performance-cafe.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_188&products_id=1139

On a separate subject, went to the panel beater today to get an idea of what I'm up against. Some bad news and some worse news. Overall, car is a great shell, however the rear hatch has had a rust repair on it, poorly done, which needs to be cut out and done again with an estimate of 4 - 7 hours labor; upside is that the repair will look factory. Worse news is that the front guards need to be removed to ensure that the rust at the panel edge (panel where the wipers sit) hasn't gone into the guard  :'(.

While we're talking paint, what is the general opinion on paying a $300 -$500 premium to use a solid base with clear vs. 2 Pak? I don't intend to sell this car.

GTI's

Quote from: AngleBox on September 10, 2007, 06:59:02 PM
Are the dizzy's interchangeable?

On a separate subject, went to the panel beater today to get an idea of what I'm up against. Some bad news and some worse news. Overall, car is a great shell, however the rear hatch has had a rust repair on it, poorly done, which needs to be cut out and done again with an estimate of 4 - 7 hours labor; upside is that the repair will look factory. Worse news is that the front guards need to be removed to ensure that the rust at the panel edge (panel where the wipers sit) hasn't gone into the guard  :'(.

While we're talking paint, what is the general opinion on paying a $300 -$500 premium to use a solid base with clear vs. 2 Pak? I don't intend to sell this car.

I have a spare hatch!  with minor surface rust. I used a de-badged citigolf one instead.

Mike

Red paint has a lot of pigment in it and is particularly soft. It therefore oxidises easily and is a bit more vulnerable to stone chips/UV fading/pollution damage/bird poo than other colours. A clear coat will definitely be more durable and will require less attention to keep it shiny. 

However, I had a Tornado Red Coupe quattro for 5 years, and I stored it inside and kept top quality wax (mothers) on it (every couple of months) and I never had any problems. It did require consistent effort though.

On balance, since you are going to keep the car for ever, I'd pay the extra and go for the base + clear.

Angle

Thanks for your comment Mike.

Update on car history. The grandma purchased the car in 1987 with 118,000km on the dial. No prior history (think I'll pay the money to run the vin check). Amazing thing is, grandma only put 20,000km on the car in 20 years ownership! Garaged for that period of time. Panel beater agreed it had to be garaged in order to be in the shape it's in.

Angle

As the suspension in the GTI needs replacement I've been searching in and out of NZ for the best priced Bilstein / Spring combo. Is anyone aware of a cheaper price? This is from Awesome GTI Store UK

Bilstein Suspension Kit Special Offers

Full kit - 4 shocks/springs - note that the 2 front shocks are inserts only!

Title Awesome Part # Price 

Bilstein Streetline Kit Mk1 Golf SU-KIT-GO1-BIL-ST ?169 

BB

That sound pretty good i paid $700 just to get my ones rebuilt over here.

Angle

Yeah, I was quoted $1,200 for rebuilt shocks  ??? . The downside to the kit above is that is for a stock suspension. Will keep looking as I want to lower the car by 1.25 inches. Anyone have experience with Weitec? Panel beater came back with a price today only $150 over my budget!! ;D So now time to strip the car. I've got to make enough room in the garage for the Rabbit & the Anglia. Boy is my wife going to be impressed !

BB

Man finish one before starting the other..........or thats what im really really really trying to do now and i still hardly get anything done on my cars :P Drives me nuts.

Angle

;D Tell me about it. The Rabbit takes priority and will be back out of the garage in a week to the panel beaters. I'll drive the Anglia over to the panel beaters and leave it behind as 'fill' work for the shop. That will at least get it out of the garage for a month or so.

rambo_005

What's with all this Rabbit business? I thought it said Golf GTI >:D

BB

Quote from: rambo_005 on September 14, 2007, 09:47:07 PM
What's with all this Rabbit business? I thought it said Golf GTI >:D
Some people like to call em rabbits like they do in America. Wana fight about it Rambo ;D I'm not sacred just cause your called Rambo.

rambo_005

Quote from: BB on September 15, 2007, 09:34:43 AM
Some people like to call em rabbits like they do in America. Wana fight about it Rambo ;D I'm not sacred just cause your called Rambo.

Bring it on! I'm not scared of bogans ;D ;D

mark2 golf

89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

SteveC

children, children, play nicely!   :angel: