PROJECT: Red Rabbit

Started by Angle, September 07, 2007, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angle

Spoke to the panel beater again and I should have it back by the end if January, dressed in the interim red. Thinking about painting it another colour, just because I love it. Never was a GTI colour, and will need to see a sample next to the seats, but could be great looking.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/143/367144568_20251a5981_o.jpg

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on December 18, 2011, 10:28:30 AM
Spoke to the panel beater again and I should have it back by the end if January, dressed in the interim red. Thinking about painting it another colour, just because I love it. Never was a GTI colour, and will need to see a sample next to the seats, but could be great looking.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/143/367144568_20251a5981_o.jpg

Your car Dennis, do what you like, but it will devalue it compared to it being its originial colour.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Angle

Quote from: RS ZWEI on December 18, 2011, 12:09:10 PM
Your car Dennis, do what you like, but it will devalue it compared to it being its originial colour.

I know - but in NZ what is the real value? It owes me far more than I can imagine selling it for. I have wrestled with this for some time, and just dont see the NZ market being strong enough. Perhaps you have some insight into the foreign market interest? I'm not even proposing a GTI color, so hence bringing it up. Was going to ensure I retained all the original stickers, etc so they will continue to say Mars Red!!

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on December 18, 2011, 01:27:27 PM
I know - but in NZ what is the real value? It owes me far more than I can imagine selling it for. I have wrestled with this for some time, and just dont see the NZ market being strong enough. Perhaps you have some insight into the foreign market interest? I'm not even proposing a GTI color, so hence bringing it up. Was going to ensure I retained all the original stickers, etc so they will continue to say Mars Red!!

Well I think the low km sliver Mk1 GTI 1800 sold for around 20K last time. If it wasnt the proper colour it would have been worth less than half of that.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Angle

Quote from: RS ZWEI on December 18, 2011, 03:15:48 PM
Well I think the low km sliver Mk1 GTI 1800 sold for around 20K last time. If it wasnt the proper colour it would have been worth less than half of that.

Good to know there is a market. Something to think about. Thanks

spooln

I kinda agree with an original color, especially after the work you have done in other areas. I also agree that the market here is not what you could find overseas, but thats great when you a buyer.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

vwrally

Hi Dennis

I agree keep original colour especially if you have a matching numbers car, market may be not so strong now but what will it be in 5 yrs??  10 yrs??

The H block I am pretty sure you will find is still 1.6. I have had the same situation as this in the past and found by measuring the crank, that it was 1.6.

The H block is meant to be the best block to rebuild (for reasons i cant really remember, pretty sure its stronger at the bottom of the bores) The same block was also used by chrysler for one of there cars in the states. You can do the 1.7 upgrade essentially using 1.8 crank and rods and 1.6 pistons and a whole lot of mucking about with gudgeons etc

BB

A whole bunch of mucking around for not much gain as usual with the VW 8v's
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

vwrally

Bb I hope you get some positive pills for new year.  I enjoy the challenge of getting the most out of small engines as I am sure do others. If not all the Anglias in the country would be 16v turbo efi mega squirt etcetc but to me there is no challenge in that

BB

A whole bunch of mucking around for not much.
Some enjoy doing that though. Good on them.
Got nothing to do with positivity or negativity.
Facts.

vwrally

Sorry to hijack your thread Dennis BUT.. 

Some FACTS on k jet 8V Golfs in NZ (just the ones we own) given that these aren't overly modified (read mucked around with) I can't see any issue with 8Vs and k-jet. I will guarantee I can get an 8V kjet to run better in a mk1 golf than the mucking around required to fit a 16V and as for kjet being dangerous due to pressure I have never heard of anything running kjet catching fire due to fuel leaks. If you use the correct fittings correctly there is no issue.

In fact the only motor that is not within factory tolerances including porting is the 165BHP one

Flying 1/4 mile speed for a 1.6 8V balanced and blueprinted only 123 mph timed electronically

BHP of good motor 165BHP not a hand grenade running k-jet and street drivable

Not Sure how the 16Vs (non turbo) compare to those figures

1st and 2nd B&H 500 1979

1st outright in the Bay Park (?) round of the 1981 B&H Series (When the V8s had returned, but it was raining)

1st South Island Production Series 1982 and 1983

14th outright in Targa

14th outright in Silver Fern Maraton Rally

138 competitive outings 1 DNF for mechanical reasons, (camshaft pulley came off 3A motor in rally car)

00quattro00

Quote from: vwrally on January 03, 2012, 01:19:53 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread Dennis BUT.. 

Some FACTS on k jet 8V Golfs in NZ (just the ones we own) given that these aren't overly modified (read mucked around with) I can't see any issue with 8Vs and k-jet. I will guarantee I can get an 8V kjet to run better in a mk1 golf than the mucking around required to fit a 16V and as for kjet being dangerous due to pressure I have never heard of anything running kjet catching fire due to fuel leaks. If you use the correct fittings correctly there is no issue.

In fact the only motor that is not within factory tolerances including porting is the 165BHP one

Flying 1/4 mile speed for a 1.6 8V balanced and blueprinted only 123 mph timed electronically

BHP of good motor 165BHP not a hand grenade running k-jet and street drivable

Not Sure how the 16Vs (non turbo) compare to those figures

1st and 2nd B&H 500 1979

1st outright in the Bay Park (?) round of the 1981 B&H Series (When the V8s had returned, but it was raining)

1st South Island Production Series 1982 and 1983

14th outright in Targa

14th outright in Silver Fern Maraton Rally

138 competitive outings 1 DNF for mechanical reasons, (camshaft pulley came off 3A motor in rally car)

What are the specs on the 165hp engine? Is that 165hp at the wheels?

Also with the right bits a 16v will bolt straight into a mk1 with no need to move anything other than the brake fluid res
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

Sorry to wind you up so much Jeremy :)

Hey that's all great! I think 8v golf motors are the ducks nuts too and your right if all the correct fittings are used then there is no real problem with a k-jet car. No more dangerous than any petrol car really tho I personally hate to much around with most fuel systems and I really hate the rear under car fuel pumps on k jets as the adapter bit often loosens at the pump rather than unbolting from the banjo......I'm sure you will know what I'm talking about Mr VWRally >:D :)

If were talking about a certain person Im sure they wish they just had there good old 8v that went and went back in there too :-\ But that's life.

I think if you go to the lengths you were saying in the post I made comment regarding mucking around that all the gudgeon stuff is almost at the far end of mucking around .....but sure if you know what your doing and have the bits and the money why not.

You say you have a 165hp 8v 1.8 is it or a 1.6? I think Ive heard its a 1.6 from past discussions. Well factory they are 110hp as we all know and not that much torque but ok. So what have you done to get a hell of a lot more from this car?

I have as you know had a very quick 8v motor which you now own, but in gutless 1.6 form. And it was gutless compared to when it had 2l of Ross race pistons in it. A fail, I should have known.
Then I got Noels 8v race motor, may have gone well on race gas but was dreadful on pump gas no power at all.
I have fitted a 1.8 gti motor too the yellow mk1 sold buy young Audio now owned by new member dave. Well that one was one out of a box that thing honks.
But my ABF with a chipped ECU goes the best by quite a margin and it will run and run with no probs and is very fuel efficient. Nearly all the mk3 gtis still go well even in the 280k range.
It is simple and it is light and it fits easy as pie.
Still has that bloody annoying fuel pump from the k-jet as well :-\

Its up to what people want, many on here scream for the 1.8t as being the best but i don't need that level of power or complication and more to the point I can't afford to do one!

But what I say is that there can be a lot of mucking around for not so much over all gain. If you are going to have an 8v then just leave it as it is and thrash the hell out of it and have a replacement block to fit.
Or if your a guru like you Jeremy do what you know works and have fun.

Angle

I'll look to post up a photo later today, but the old girl is back in the shed .... not painted. The bodyshop pretty much just stored her at the end of the day. I expect the panel work will all be finished in another month. I've got a mate who is coming over to do the panel beating on the odd night. Front guards are done, now it's onto the doors. Once they are complete, some hammer work on a few spots in the roof, and then a light skim it's ready for paint. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish this car or not. Suzannah just doesn't love the VW, and we have a few other cars we both like - so I may end up air-cooled or something else entirely from the Ford family.

So if someone wants to pick up a great project, with finished panel work, drop me a line. I've got about $4k-$5k in new parts, plus the reconditioned seats, etc. I would consider offers around $10k. Otherwise, I'll end up finishing the panel and paint, and then selling her finished. It's a little bit sad, but I can live with it.

Angle

Finally got my mate into the shed. Panel work will be finished this week, and off to the painters shortly after. Quite interesting to watch him heat the panel up and then shrink it with water. Where the fender is 'full' it flattens it back out. Onto the doors tomorrow, then I think we're done except for cleaning up the lower valance where the spoiler attaches - the original owner knocked it about a bit.

Also spent a fair bit of time cleaning up nearly 6 years of dust. Engine bay is the next thing to attack.

slowburn

that yellow Mk1 with the 1800 now lives in welly,owned by a mate here @ weta
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Angle

Driver's side door all shrunk, filed, skimmed and epoxied.

Passenger door shrunk and partially skimmed - was quite a cool process although I was very nervous running the torch, Brett was the brains and told me how to hold and for how long.

Passenger guard partially skimmed - still a bit more panel beating to do in order to get all gaps / edges to be in plane and equal.

sifty

Quote from: AngleBox on September 09, 2007, 01:31:38 PM
Just got back from a spin. What a blast. Once the suspension, brakes, tranny and clutch work correctly, I'm going to be in heaven. With the 4spd this is the RPM's at different speeds in top gear as tested on a private road. How does it compare to the 5 speed?

100kmh    3100 or 3200 RPM
120kmh    3900 RPM
140kmh    4400 RPM

Ok, I know I'm 6 years late on the reply  ;D  But it didn't look like anyone answered this question, mine is pulling 3400 RPM at 100 km in 5th.    :o

Angle

Quote from: sifty on September 16, 2013, 07:50:23 AM
Ok, I know I'm 6 years late on the reply  ;D  But it didn't look like anyone answered this question, mine is pulling 3400 RPM at 100 km in 5th.    :o

Wow! That seems odd .... I'll have to look at a gear chart again, but I would have thought 5th would be a higher final drive than the 4 speed.

Angle

Panel work should all be done on Wednesday .... then off to the painters.