PROJECT: Red Rabbit

Started by Angle, September 07, 2007, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angle

I'm a Yank, hence the Red Rabbit. I've got a big box of parts coming from the States for the Rabbit as well. Are you worried about my Rabbit taking out your Golf?

rambo_005

Quote from: AngleBox on September 15, 2007, 05:35:04 PM
I'm a Yank, hence the Red Rabbit. I've got a big box of parts coming from the States for the Rabbit as well. Are you worried about my Rabbit taking out your Golf?

My Golf has flattened a few rabbits in it's time ;) ;D

Angle

Quote from: rambo_005 on September 15, 2007, 07:04:37 PM
My Golf has flattened a few rabbits in it's time ;) ;D

They must have been parked ;D

rambo_005

Quote from: AngleBox on September 15, 2007, 07:19:25 PM
They must have been parked ;D

Well, you could say they were parked (and dead) after they went under my wheels :o Poor bunnies.

qta4

Quote from: AngleBox on September 08, 2007, 06:49:55 PM
This is the end result I'm aiming for. If I get lucky I'll have a few dollars to spend on the engine, but I think I'll find it will take all my funds to re-spray and get the mechanicals sorted out. I'm hoping to have the car complete in 30 days. Thank goodness John has stuck up his hand and offered his help. Seems the clutch will need replacing as well .... :-\

Does anyone have 3 more of these lying around? It's a start, as I don't recognise the steelies on the car above.

is the result you are trying to achieve?
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Angle

Quote from: qta4 on September 15, 2007, 08:01:17 PM
is the result you are trying to achieve?

Yes. I haven't located an 'original' chin spoiler yet (in the States), so I've got a 1 piece on order. I believe a guy on vwvortex may still have some for sale, but I haven't tracked him down again, as there was an odd comment in his for sale thread. Why do you ask? Have you got some bits?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 15, 2007, 09:34:23 PM
Yes. I haven't located an 'original' chin spoiler yet, so I've got a 1 piece on order. I believe a guy on vwvortex may still have some for sale, but I haven't tracked him down again, as there was an odd comment in his for sale thread. Why do you ask? Have you got some bits?

The GTI spoiler isnt hard to find, Ive purchased a few in the UK.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

SOFTLAD

I always thought from stuff I'd read that for the MK1 the UK
SuperSprint system was the exhaust system to have.
It's the one thing regarding exhausts and mk1 golfs that seems to have stuck in my mind.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Angle

Supersprint headers: $534.00 + Shipping would put the exhaust at close to $900. No RRP for headers, at a guess would put them at another $700 or so + shipping. Too rich for my blood.

Angle

Started taking her apart tonight. Most of the evening went to creating garage space and getting the Anglia back on four wheels first. She's squeezed in, and had to turn the fridge so the door wouldn't open up on her.

After removing the rear fender flare I discovered this

GB666 - Do you know what the colors of these stripes are - they look to be Mars Red & Red

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 18, 2007, 10:38:36 PM
Started taking her apart tonight. Most of the evening went to creating garage space and getting the Anglia back on four wheels first. She's squeezed in, and had to turn the fridge so the door wouldn't open up on her.

After removing the rear fender flare I discovered this

GB666 - Do you know what the colors of these stripes are - they look to be Mars Red & Red

Those stripes arent factory, well Ive never seen then before.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Angle

I see some folks have painted the red on the GTI grille Mars Red 02 - and apparently there is a Mars Red 01. What colour is yours?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 19, 2007, 06:50:55 PM
I see some folks have painted the red on the GTI grille Mars Red 02 - and apparently there is a Mars Red 01. What colour is yours?

The red on the grill surround is factory for a GTI.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Angle

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on September 19, 2007, 09:17:52 PM
The red on the grill surround is factory for a GTI.

Correct, but what color is it? Some forums discuss a Mars Red 02 vs 01 and I'm just looking to see. I was planning on painting it simply 'bright red' ;D

Angle

More progress tonight. Unfortunately I found some more rust as well  :'(

When taking out the front grille I discovered why it flapped around at the bottom. The outer two tabs have been broken off. Does anyone have the center of a 3 piece grille for sale?

Front is ready to have the wheels removed and front wings taken off. Any suggestions on the best removal technique when separating the panels?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on September 19, 2007, 11:42:56 PM
Correct, but what color is it? Some forums discuss a Mars Red 02 vs 01 and I'm just looking to see. I was planning on painting it simply 'bright red' ;D

I wouldnt loose any sleep over it, when I repaint mine I just get a can of red paint from Repco.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

Angle

NEED HELP ! ! ! !  >:( The $%#^ing door cards won't come off. The interior handle seems 'stuck' but there is no screw or any other obvious item to remove. I've tried to rotate the panel, but it doesn't want to go, and the handle doesn't appear to release it's hold.....

VW Vortex to the rescue! Remove the interior 'finger guard' inside the interior plastic door opener pull, and presto - screw head exposed!

Angle

I'm exhausted. The first door took me over an hour to strip and the second less than 20 minutes. Only 2 guards to remove and the car will head to panel beaters. Has anyone swapped a GTI rear lid w/ a non-GTI lid, and transferred over all the parts? Looking at it closer tonight, it seems to be a mission.

Fizz