Import help

Started by RS ZWEI, April 15, 2005, 11:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS ZWEI

A mate of mine has imported a 1996 Golf GTI 16V, it has twin airbags, ABS etc but the LTSA say that you cant regester in NZ.
What is the rules with this?
Wasnt there someone  on VASK who imported a pre 97 GTI of this forum though some agent and got it on the road?

Any help will be greatful.

Cheers
Nik
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

wilco

Hi Nik, take a look in the LTSA website it has a comprehensive list of vehicles/ages that are or are not allowed into enzed.

The '96 might be just on the limit as from memory around '97-'98 might be the current cutoff.? All to do with frontal impact regs.? A mate imported a couple of Polo's and they were basically as late as he could afford/justify so there was no arguement with the feds.

Yeah I know its stoopid when you can see exactly the same car on the street but cant import the one you have.? I get the feeling reality rules sometimes though if one should decide to "reshell" a previously reg'd car with "a few bits" from the import.? Extrapolate that to logical conclusion if you will..? ;)

Don't even start me on importing older classics!
Good luck.

robh

The LTSA rules for VW are based on chassis numbers provided by VW relating to which of their vehicles have passed a specific frontal impact test.  Basically if your 1997 on I think you are safe, even though the 1996 model may be the same VW hadn't put that model year through the test so they can't say it complies.

Basically he is screwed!  Hope he didn't pay too much for it?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

bsting

If its a 3dr - ill take it !!
No chance a :'(

RS ZWEI

Quote from: BSTING on April 15, 2005, 12:10:07 PM
If its a 3dr - ill take it !!
No chance a :'(

Its a 5 door.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Pushbutton_auto

Whats the rule with 100, 200s, urqs ?
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

mk3 gti

I Imported the 97GTi but the importer I used did all the cheacks before I went ahead with the auction
Bassically it comes down to the fact that the 96 cars had no paper work on frontal impact
but the late 97 cars did. Thats why I used someone who new the rules.

sorry to hear about your mates problem 

JBOB

Sorry to jump in on this thread BUT........My g/f and are going to move out to NZ from the UK in a few years. Ive got a '90 Corrado and was planning on bringing out with me. Am i gonna be able to reg it in NZ, not sure yet be it might be over 20years old by the time we come down there !!!!!!!!!!

I havent looked into all of this as yet because as i say its gonna be a few years away  >:(

bigbumper

Quote from: urq20v on April 16, 2005, 07:46:36 AM
Or you turn it into a race car and go thru the full LTNZ cert process and get it MANZ approved.

How exactly does the LTNZ cert process work?? Do you have to put it through a low volume cert as you would with a home-built or kit car??

I've been told that if you put a roll-cage in a non-complying car and get a MANZ log book you can apply for a special class of registration which allows limited road use (i.e. to/from/during MANZ events) - does anyone know if this is true?? I've heard some of the Targa competitors use this loop-hole.? Of course, if you got pulled over while driving to work in the morning you might have some explaining to do....? ?;D

bigbumper

Quote from: JBOB on April 17, 2005, 01:33:35 PM
Sorry to jump in on this thread BUT........My g/f and are going to move out to NZ from the UK in a few years. Ive got a '90 Corrado and was planning on bringing out with me. Am i gonna be able to reg it in NZ, not sure yet be it might be over 20years old by the time we come down there !!!!!!!!!!

I havent looked into all of this as yet because as i say its gonna be a few years away? >:(

Welcome JBOB
It used to be that if you emigrated you could bring your car with you, and you got a reduced import tariff depending on how long you'd owned it overseas (up to 4 years).? Certainly that's how my Golf ended up here.? But the authorities keep moving the goalposts to the point where no-one's really sure any more and when you speak to them, different people at LTSA tell you different things!

This link may (or may not!) be of some help
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/importing/index.html

How about a bit more info about your Corrado?? It doesn't look stock-standard....? ;)

bigbumper

Quote from: bigbumper on April 17, 2005, 05:23:24 PM

How about a bit more info about your Corrado?? It doesn't look stock-standard....? ;)

Ok ignore me, just seen your other post...?

JBOB

Quote from: bigbumper on April 17, 2005, 05:26:42 PM
Quote from: bigbumper on April 17, 2005, 05:23:24 PM

Ok ignore me, just seen your other post...?

Thats ok mate it isnt really standard is it  ;D

Looks like ill be ok at the minute..........but as you say they keep changing the rules  ::)

Ownership flowchart
This flowchart applies to passenger cars (Class MA vehicles) imported from Europe. Either:

the car is over 20 years old, or
you have proof that the car complies with the required standards.
Follow the steps in the flowchart. Steps marked with a letter in a circle have supporting notes that you need to read.

Ownership flowchart notes:
G: START: Can you prove the vehicle is legally yours?
You will need evidence that you're legally entitled to the vehicle. You must have original documents that establish an ownership trail back to the last registered owner in Europe (eg deregistration or change of ownership papers) and invoices, bills of sale, receipts etc. You must have certified translations of any documents that aren't in English.

H: STOP
Don't ship the vehicle to New Zealand. If you can't prove that the vehicle is legally yours, you won't be able to register it for use on New Zealand roads.

robh

Quote from: JBOB on April 17, 2005, 10:22:31 PM

the second line is the key here, you will not be able to prove that a 1990 Corrado complies to the required standard, more specifically there is a frontal impact test that it must comply with, VW didn't put any of their cars through this test until 1997, so you have no way of proving it complies unless you want to crash it yourself :)

JBOB

Quote from: robh on April 18, 2005, 07:35:22 AM
Quote from: JBOB on April 17, 2005, 10:22:31 PM

the second line is the key here, you will not be able to prove that a 1990 Corrado complies to the required standard, more specifically there is a frontal impact test that it must comply with, VW didn't put any of their cars through this test until 1997, so you have no way of proving it complies unless you want to crash it yourself :)

Its an "OR" statement..............The car has to be either 20yrs old "OR" have the frontal impact test.
Thats the way i read it anyhow  ???

robh

yes, your right it is an "or" statement, 5 years is a long time to wait......

JBOB

We dont plan on moving for at least 5 years  >:( But that should give us enough time to get everything sorted  :)