stereo system in a 1999 v6 Syncro stationwagon

Started by chocolatelustboy, April 18, 2005, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocolatelustboy

Have just bought this car and the stereo appears to be faulty: it has a Minidisc head unit and basically you can turn it on and listen to radio or pop in a minidisc and it will play that fine. However, regardless of whether you're listening to radio or minidisc - the buttons don't work - you can't change the bass, treble, skip tracks, hunt for other stations, change station etc.,... It did come right of its own accord one day (about 1 1/2 weeks ago) but only for about 1 day and then there was a beep noise and it returned to normal non-functionality.

I've noticed that you also seem to need to press the power button twice before it will come on.

I don't really want to replace the unit with a different head-unit - it's nice to have all the lights in the cockpit the same (i.e. red and blue).

Anybody know of the potential problem (and solution) / possible source of a replacement / someone who might be able to fix this thing? Also wonder if anybody knows how to remove this head unit so that I can check for any loose connections etc.,...

Cheers.

chocolatelustboy

Yep - has the VW logo on the unit and I've seen it in another car that I was test-driving. Spoke with Giltrap and the guy was clueless and suspected that it might have been something specific to the Asian market? But all of the lettering is in English so that doesn't seem right?

tempq18t

Oddly enough lots of stereo's in ex japan cars have english writing on them - go figure.
Is the face removable ?
Sometimes with removable face ones particularly in cars that don't get cleaned too often the dust clogs the terminals where the face connects and causes the issues you mentioned. Best thing to clean it is white spirits.
If not then sorry

tempq18t

Sometimes with removable face ones particularly in cars that don't get cleaned too often the dust clogs the terminals where the face connects and causes the issues you mentioned.

I wasn't trying to say you didn't clean your car, I was finger pointing at previous overseas owners

dubstar

You could go to a wreckers and get a stereo from a NZ new passat.  That way you'll have a working stereo with the same colour lights.  Although it may pay to find out if you need a special coded  unit first.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

dimistyle

Hey chocolatefish , It will probably be a SONY that looks like the factory BLUAPUNKT.

Attach a photo if you can or a part number, If its the same as the one I pulled from my 1999 Passat, you can have mine its just sitting in a box in my garage.

You will need a band expander for the NZ radio stations and antenna injector to power up the roof mounted antenna, and keeps the original dash look.

I replaced my stereo with a Panasonic blue and red buttons, but no illumination control. works well and looks great.

PM me for contact details

tempq18t

Dimistyle, has the stereo got no illumination control or have you not hooked it up ?, Just being nosy cos I like mucking around with installations so it could be something for me to read up on.

chocolatelustboy

Wow! Thanks for all the response people - I'll check and send photos later this evening.

dimistyle

Mike, I ended up buying a Panasonic CD player with a changer, I should have bought the  next model up that also played Windows Media. Also it does not have audio mute when the mobile rings, so had to hook a relay to switch the unit off when the mobiles in use. :(

And no it does not have a illumination control wire, so I couldn't hook it up. >:(

I was going to open her up to look for control point for the lighting, but I got lazy.... :o

chocolatelustboy

Hey dimistyle - how did you remove your original unit? last car was an Isuzu Bighorn - no clever European engineering there - just big ol' screws holding the dash in place!

tempq18t

It is odd how they don't seem to take your best interests into mind when designing these things eh.
Is the mobile relay running off a car-kit ?

dimistyle

Yes, carkit mute wire is connected to the relay, other connection is stereo power, all hidden behind the dash. :D

My relay is pretty noisey, so try find a well insulated one or cover it well with foam etc to reduce the relay clicking... :o

chocolatelustboy

hi dimistyle - here's the minidisc player from the car - is this the same as the one you removed from your car?

[attachment deleted by admin]

dimistyle

RS ZWEI

Quote from: chocolatelustboy on April 19, 2005, 11:57:23 PM
hi dimistyle - here's the minidisc player from the car - is this the same as the one you removed from your car?

Al the jap import Mk4 GTIs Ive seen with standard radios in it are like that. Even one of the girls at work here has that same radio in her Mk4.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

chocolatelustboy

Swapped the unit out today with Dimistyle. Thanks to Dimistyle for his generousity and wads of helpful information. Really nice guy and very helpful.
:D

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

dimistyle

No coding problems what so ever as the head unit does not have a security pin, straight swap plus connect the band expander cable that must have fallen off. :o

I suspect the V1 radar detector install disturbed the cabling. :o

We will see if the unit continues to work as its supposed to, may need to power the active antenna to get better reception, but chocolatelustboy is happy for now. 8)

Great lookin' Passat David, black with an aftermarket front bumper and 17" ROH's and tints 8)

chocolatelustboy

Chocolatelustboy is very happy just now - it's the simple pleasures in life... like being able to change radio station or tracks on the minidisk!

Posting my next question... ::)