brake upgrades - 1999 2.8l v6 Passat syncro stationwagon

Started by chocolatelustboy, April 18, 2005, 05:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocolatelustboy

Hi there,

You'll see from my other post  that I've just bought this toy exquisite piece of European engineering. I've noticed that the front brakes suffer from quite a bit of fade.

They also sometimes make a horrible noise so suspect that there's a caliper not releasing properly? doesn't happen all the time - just occassionally and haven't been able to establish a pattern as to when it happens.

Also - has anybody done a brake replacement themselves? Any tips or is it purely a 'take it to the dealer' job? I have a pretty good garage and used to do all my own work on my last car but that was an Isuzu Bighorn - totally different car with none of the intricate European engineering!!! Plus I never got around to doing any work on the brakes.

Last question - what would you recommend as a maintenance guide / manual? I see that Haynes do one - anything else I should be considering?

cheers.

robh

Bentley manuals are very good, although they can be a bit US centric, I would get it on CD instead of paper and then just print out the sections you want so you don't ruin a decent manual...
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

chocolatelustboy

beeker

Quote from: robh on April 18, 2005, 10:02:00 PM
Bentley manuals are very good, although they can be a bit US centric, I would get it on CD instead of paper and then just print out the sections you want so you don't ruin a decent manual...

where is the best place to get these ?
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

robh

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/index.htm you can order online, but I doubt they are the cheapest.

Nigel at www.vwspares.co.nz has some Bentley manuals, not sure about CD's though.

of course www.amazon.com seems a good place, they list some below the retail price.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

dimistyle

I bought the Haynes manual, covers Audi A4 1998-2001, very US orientated and paper back ONLY ???

I had the front brakes done at New Years, Pads from Qualitat, Brembo disk from Brake and Trans, install by Auto Alignment Grey Lynn. ;D

If you want larger disk, you need Audi TT hangers for your calipers and TT disks, also need minimum 16" wheels.

As far as DIY, have a go..I ran out of time and it was New Years Eve and I was still in Auckland :o so I had a quick look before taking the passat up the road. Some none standard tool required to wind back the calipers to remove the old pads. ???

The brake pads are going to be the difficult parts as there are so many varieties, do you have brake pad wear sensors installed ??? as this also makes a difference in pad design.

I suggest look at the job yourself first.......