RS4 mods on the way!

Started by R32 Simon, October 16, 2007, 09:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeker

Quote from: le mans on April 28, 2008, 10:36:07 AM
Hmmm, ok, must be quite pricey then? Have you had any issues with the lower ride height of the GmbH suspension? I've also seen comments about more intervention from ESP with the firmer set-up.

H&R. I know there is two kits, the basic, and the fully adjustbale. The basic wasnt far off the audi factory kit, but the adjustable was more than double the $$

Lower height, Not really, not if you are careful. The B6 A4 with bodykit is worse.

As for ESP intervention, its gonna happen any time. You only really notice it when you stab the throttle too soon on exit or on really bumpy roads.

14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

5-pot

?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

djrisk

Quote from: 5-pot on April 28, 2008, 09:00:03 PM
turn the ESP off  >:D  :police:
I made that mistake, now i drive a different car ::)
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

djrisk

Quote from: beeker on April 28, 2008, 06:01:01 PM
H&R. I know there is two kits, the basic, and the fully adjustbale. The basic wasnt far off the audi factory kit, but the adjustable was more than double the $$

Lower height, Not really, not if you are careful. The B6 A4 with bodykit is worse.

As for ESP intervention, its gonna happen any time. You only really notice it when you stab the throttle too soon on exit or on really bumpy roads.

Do you know of any GMBH or similar kits for the S4??? Im guessing maybe a RS4 sway bar should fit on the S4??
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

le mans

QuoteH&R. I know there is two kits, the basic, and the fully adjustbale.

Some RS4 owners in the UK have fitted H&R sway bars only (front and back), leaving the original standard springs and shocks, and reckon the handling is transformed with a tenancy towards over steer rather than under steer.

Anyhow I've got Simon at Giltraps seeing if he can get hold of GmbH suspension for me. I let him know about your order, Beeker, through CCS (around 4 years ago?) so that might help him track it down. Seems quite a hard kit to get hold of but then again the car isn't exactly a new model now.

Is there anyone here that has just replaced the sway bars on their car? Would be interested to hear how you got on. B5 RS4 owners in the UK tend to go for the H&R bars by the looks of it. Not sure about the S4, djrsk, I wasn't specifically researching that model.

Trofeo

I've replaced my rear bar with a whiteline adjustable unit, set it on the medium setting and virtually eliminated the understeer. It really transformed the car. It will now power oversteer which can be a lot of fun... All for a couple of hundred bucks. Whether it makes the car actually perform any better is unknown, as not always what feels better is faster.. been there before on the race track numerous times.

I agree that the full kit that has had a load of development go into it would be the best way to go, but how much are you looking at for that? i suspect 4-5K??
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

beeker

Quote from: MTMS3 on May 01, 2008, 04:42:46 PM
I agree that the full kit that has had a load of development go into it would be the best way to go, but how much are you looking at for that? i suspect 4-5K??

The full adjustable one is like $3k pounds. maybe wrong..
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback

djrisk

Quote from: le mans on May 01, 2008, 04:03:58 PM
Some RS4 owners in the UK have fitted H&R sway bars only (front and back), leaving the original standard springs and shocks, and reckon the handling is transformed with a tenancy towards over steer rather than under steer.

Anyhow I've got Simon at Giltraps seeing if he can get hold of GmbH suspension for me. I let him know about your order, Beeker, through CCS (around 4 years ago?) so that might help him track it down. Seems quite a hard kit to get hold of but then again the car isn't exactly a new model now.

Is there anyone here that has just replaced the sway bars on their car? Would be interested to hear how you got on. B5 RS4 owners in the UK tend to go for the H&R bars by the looks of it. Not sure about the S4, djrsk, I wasn't specifically researching that model.

Im sure the sway bars would fit, they are effectively the same car
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

djrisk

Quote from: MTMS3 on May 01, 2008, 04:42:46 PM
I've replaced my rear bar with a whiteline adjustable unit, set it on the medium setting and virtually eliminated the understeer. It really transformed the car. It will now power oversteer which can be a lot of fun... All for a couple of hundred bucks. Whether it makes the car actually perform any better is unknown, as not always what feels better is faster.. been there before on the race track numerous times.
You could also get the Haldex controller, which distributes more torque to the rear for even more oversteery goodness
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

5-pot

RS4s have a mechanical torsen centre diff with cogs rather than a clutch-pack/haldex type electronic one and have no controller for them!
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

vaudiw

QuoteRS4s have a mechanical torsen centre diff with cogs rather than a clutch-pack/haldex type electronic one and have no controller for them!

So do S4's, I think DJRisk was referring to MTMS3's comments re his S3.

5-pot

yeah but this is a RS4 thread  ;D. All the longitudinal engined audis are mechanical torsen and the transverse are haldex type.

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

5-pot

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

djrisk

Quote from: 5-pot on May 02, 2008, 04:04:35 PM
yeah but this is a RS4 thread  ;D. All the longitudinal engined audis are mechanical torsen and the transverse are haldex type.
Yes i know this :D, i was referring to his S3 hence the quote.

R8 is haldex is it?? what about the new RS6??
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

5-pot

oh sorry.  not reading properly again.  Friday-itis eh?  :-[ :P

Yeah, apparently the R8 is haldex as well, something like 30-70 F-R max torque split  ???

- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

rambo_005

Quote from: djrisk on May 02, 2008, 04:12:46 PM
R8 is haldex is it?? what about the new RS6??

The RS6 will still use Torsen, as that is what that A6 generation uses.

The R8 uses neither Haldex or Torsen, it has a viscous coupling which is more than likely a Lamborghini design from the Gallardo (which the R8 is based off)

vaudiw

I didn't think the Haldex could handle the potential power outputs of the S4,RS4 etc, which is why they are mechancial 4WD. Or am I wrong?

rambo_005

Quote from: vaudiw on May 02, 2008, 05:45:36 PM
I didn't think the Haldex could handle the potential power outputs of the S4,RS4 etc, which is why they are mechancial 4WD. Or am I wrong?

They are all Torsen, as that is what the A4/A6/A8 series of car use for the quattro variants. The system may be uprated for higher output versions like the RS4, but overall is the same.

slayer00

A torsen drive line is bullet proof