Needed 200 quattro speedo transponder

Started by BB, October 16, 2007, 07:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

A speedo drive for a 200 5 speed manual quattro, called the electronic transponder.
my one is working but the plastic gears have worn down, I have auto ones but no quattro ones :-[
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

BB

Bump Please help, I have rung Giltrap and this part is no longer available :( :'( I have got euroline looking for me.

Can anyone find or know how I can get hold of that 200 quattro that was for sale in bits on trade me?

wilco

Jem it should be the same as any other electronic 100/200 speedo pickup.  I have one trans left at home so I'll have a look tonight.  Its from an '86 100CS quattro trans so might be what you're looking for.

Steve.

Pushbutton_auto

My guess is the Te Puke / Tauranga wrecker (Sailorman) ? , picked it up.

He has grabbed most of them last 3 years.
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

BB

Thanks wilco and thanks pushbutton.
Its an electronic part and most 100s had a cable driven speedo but maybe the 100 quattro is different? As I say I have 200 auto ones but the gear drive is different.
Do you know the name of this wreaker or ph no pushbutton?

wilco

OK I checked and the electronic bit has gone.  However I recall that while the drive is different from auto to manual the thread and square drive are the same which is why the cable and electronic pickups run on the same drives.  It's a bit blurred but I remember swapping transmissions once and could unscrew the electronic pickup and screw in a cable and vice-versa.  Pretty sure its not a unique part but maybe I'm wrong. Its just the bit outside the trans, not the shaft going into the final drive casing.  I recall unscrewing it to avoid smashing it while dropping the trans.
Sorry I can't help further.
W.

BB

Yes the transponder can be split into several differnt parts, and yes the electronic parts are the same but the shafts and drives are differnt. i dont really want to change it to cable and would still have to find a suitable cable drive end.
Its the sort of part you may have to get made on a lathe out of special plastic. A model lathe master could do it, who is one?

John Stone

Jem, try the quattroforum website. There have been a number of people on there looking for speedo drives recently. Or if you like, I'll put up a post seeings as how I'm a regular........

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

That would be great John, but sounds like i would be the last in a line already :P Will the 200 die because of a plastic speedo gear? :'(

BB

typ53

Is part #14 what you're after jem?

If so, I think it's what just fell off my Diff.  Autohausaz sell them for about $20 USD.  Might be time to put an order in?

OTT for a moment, does the Diff share it's oil with the auto transmission?
The Fleet:
Orange Roughy:'90 16v Corrado
'89 Carrera 4. 
'12 330d Touring
Still trying to figure out how to get 'em all to fit in a single garage....

BB

No mine is a 5 speed manual quattro box.