*&%! idiots!

Started by 89Golfer, October 27, 2007, 11:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subverse

Quote from: Natesgti on October 29, 2007, 06:21:26 PM
Good idea on the grommets bro, did you put an aftermarket set of doorlock poppers in as well?

Yep, A Dick Smith special. I got the 4 door lock kit a couple of years back, then upgraded to the remote kit, from Jaycar, later on. The good thing was that the remote relay unit had the same pinout as the first kit so it just plugged in to the loom I'd already installed.

Fizz

Subverse that is a mint setup, I love it!  :)

qta4

Stealth is good,bling is bad, Daves car is the way to still enjoy music but give no external signs to the low life traders who swap good stuff into "P".

The same goes for the appearance of your car, the more you invest in your car to make it look "COOL" the more attention you get from those who may notice, but also those who want to cash it up.

Shiney wheels are the first no no,as a daily driver, fit them for your trip,when you are with the car, but never park it on the side of the road.

I would hate to live in the city with the stealers on the hunt constantly.

The insurance companies have more claims for bling than normal cars.
But you can have your car full of cool stuff, just dont advertise it.
Just my gray haired 2c worth
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Natesgti

Heres my vent!

Some dickhead was obviously walking down my street last night looking for trouble, threw a rock at my windscreen causing a big round crack :-( I got off luckier than the guy who was parked up from my house on the road tho, his back screen fully shattered and two windows!

Heres my crack.. :- (

and the other poor bloke..

Anyone know how much a windscreen is?

Hoff

im just geting mine done at the mo but it is  thru insurance. ill ask wen i get it back
1985 Mk2 Golf GTI
1900 High comp race engine, Advanti magswrapped in F1's,Nardi wheel,Samco Coolant Hoses,KW Varient 2 Coilovers,OMP front strut brace,256mm brake upgrade
Mk1 Golf Project
MK2 Project

BB

You windscreen will fail a wof now Nate >:(
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Natesgti

Quote from: BB on October 30, 2007, 08:27:19 PM
You windscreen will fail a wof now Nate >:(

yeah, i know ;- ( lucky that aint till april next year :- ) but still i wanna get it fixed by then! Anyone know how easy it is to replace yourself? Pickapart sells windscreens for 20$... that is, if you can get them out without cracking!

GTI's

Quote from: Natesgti on October 30, 2007, 10:39:26 PM
yeah, i know ;- ( lucky that aint till april next year :- ) but still i wanna get it fixed by then! Anyone know how easy it is to replace yourself? Pickapart sells windscreens for 20$... that is, if you can get them out without cracking!

Cut them out with a Bin Laden knife.

gti vr6

Great install there Subverse. Good thinking.
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

veedubman

subverse have you had any cooling issues with the amplifier..

i wanted to invert mount mine but i was told the alloycasing acts as a heatsync (sp?) so inverting it would only cause it to heat itself

subverse

Quote from: ?iva on October 31, 2007, 03:38:38 PM
subverse have you had any cooling issues with the amplifier..

i wanted to invert mount mine but i was told the alloycasing acts as a heatsync (sp?) so inverting it would only cause it to heat itself

Nope, no probs. I'm not running the amp at peak power outputs though, it's just driving a couple of 7x10's (the wife usually complains before the amp does). I've never come across a "heatsink orientation" section in a data sheet before. I guess that, yeah, heat rises so it would radiate heat onto the PCB etc.

I had an Electronics tutor tell me once that he worked on a project that had over heating problems. He put a fan on the heatsink to blow away the heat and introduce colder air and this worked so he upped the fan speed and it worked a bit better so he upped the fan speed and it worked a bit better so he upped the fan speed again only to find that the temperature of the heatsink increased. He had found the point where the air was moving so fast over the heatsink that it was unable to absorb the heat, or maybe became rarefied, (or he'd been drinking).

DISCLAIMER: Don't put your amp upside down unless you want to burn your fingers or nuts or whatever and melt your ICE.  ;D

subverse

Quote from: Fizz on October 29, 2007, 07:16:23 PM
Subverse that is a mint setup, I love it!  :)

Quote from: gti vr6 on October 31, 2007, 06:11:16 AM
Great install there Subverse. Good thinking.

Cheers Guys  ;D ;D (how did you know praise was my favorite)

BB

Yea I agree wickedly good way to stop thieves, excellent example of how to do it ;)
I totally understand what Ziva is saying re the heat sinks wanting to radiate their heat upwards but I also understand that its not overheating for you as there would be plenty of air and it would radiate out and around as well. Not Ideal tho.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

veedubman

Quote from: subverse on October 31, 2007, 04:36:36 PM
Nope, no probs. I'm not running the amp at peak power outputs though, it's just driving a couple of 7x10's (the wife usually complains before the amp does). I've never come across a "heatsink orientation" section in a data sheet before. I guess that, yeah, heat rises so it would radiate heat onto the PCB etc.

I had an Electronics tutor tell me once that he worked on a project that had over heating problems. He put a fan on the heatsink to blow away the heat and introduce colder air and this worked so he upped the fan speed and it worked a bit better so he upped the fan speed and it worked a bit better so he upped the fan speed again only to find that the temperature of the heatsink increased. He had found the point where the air was moving so fast over the heatsink that it was unable to absorb the heat, or maybe became rarefied, (or he'd been drinking).

DISCLAIMER: Don't put your amp upside down unless you want to burn your fingers or nuts or whatever and melt your ICE.  ;D

its a awesome install nonetheless

no way in heck i could put my monster upside down

its a 5 Channel

and im already driving all the Components (4 x 110wrms each (115wrms each available)

Natesgti

smith and smith glass quoted 550$ for a new windscreen and refitting cost! Jeeeeeesus...

They said that theyd charge 146$ to fit a second hand windscreen that i supplied! even that is ridiculously high as they dont give a warranty on their install or anything if its secondhand..

I think ill be visiting pickapart...

GTI's

If your patient they are easy to fit. top goes in first.
I have a spare one here in Akl? can have it for pick a part prices.

slowmo

that sucks.

is there an insurance company that covers the windows/windscreen/rear screen if you're on 3rd party?

also, out of interest, if you've got full comprehensive cover. i know the windscreen is a no-claims repair (i.e. no excess to get replaced/fixed). does this apply to the side windows?

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

slayer00

With my insurance it covers all windows with no excess, no-claims.

Are golf windscreens glued on or rubber mounted?

slowmo

i better ask then. thanks!

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

slowmo

just confirmed..

Quoteno claims-no excess cover for "..any glass that forms part of the vehicle: windows, sunroofs, windscreen, rearscreen.."

so i'm happy  ;D