Golf gti starting problems.

Started by Zero, November 17, 2007, 05:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Ive got a 1998 golf gti here and its having trouble starting. Ive checked for spark and it seems to be getting spark to all cylinders. crank it over a few time pumping the gas for a few minutes and eventually it starts and idles fine. Let it run for abit no problems. Try starting it the next day and same thing all over again, it just doesnt want to start. Im thinking it might be a fuel related issue but cant be sure. Anyone got any ideas?

old4130

If MFA & the clock resets itself,.. its the battery

If not, its prob what I had a few months ago.. either crank angle sensor &/or #30 relay.

Mine was detonating, & missing on start up, until engine registered 50deg oil temp on MFA

Try dubshack, or Qualitat for parts, not the dealers, their prices are 3x as much for those parts
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

Zero

Thanks for that, where abouts is the #30 relay located? (This is my mothers car so im not too familiar with it.) And the MFA not too sure what that is?

old4130

Quote from: Zero on November 18, 2007, 01:04:32 PM
Thanks for that, where abouts is the #30 relay located? (This is my mothers car so im not too familiar with it.) And the MFA not too sure what that is?

Under the steering wheel, remove the panel, & its in the middle of the upper row of relays.
MFA is the trip computer thing, does l/100km, oil temp, distance, ave speed etc.. button at the end of the wiper stalk.

vert1 or bsting may have other ideas on whats wrong. But they both gave me that advice when mine did the same, & they were bang on.

thread on my similar issue:
http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,7317.0.html

2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

Rocketscott

Quote from: Zero on November 17, 2007, 05:35:46 PM
Ive got a 1998 golf gti here and its having trouble starting. Ive checked for spark and it seems to be getting spark to all cylinders. crank it over a few time pumping the gas for a few minutes and eventually it starts and idles fine. Let it run for abit no problems. Try starting it the next day and same thing all over again, it just doesnt want to start. Im thinking it might be a fuel related issue but cant be sure. Anyone got any ideas?
i had the same problem with my old Vento and it turned out to be dry solder joints on the Fuel Pump control relay seems to be famous on the good old mk3s