034 Motorsport top mounts.

Started by urq20v, November 20, 2007, 02:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urq20v

I have just received 4 new suspension top mounts for my urquattro.They are the street density mounts from 034 Motorsport.Anyone who owns a type 85 or type 89 will know how inadequate the standard Audi top mounts are,regardless of whether they are the black,green or blue variety.I have heard reports of the blue mounts (surpposedly Audi best) lasting less than a month.No doubt that was with very hard use,but none the less,a very short lifespan.I know mine have been in need of replacement for a long time now,even though they did pass a WOF/MOT in NZ and the UK..
Looking at the mounts from 034,the first thing you notice is a far more substantial amount of rubber around the top rim,the point where the standard Audi mounts always collapse causing the excessive up down movement seen in most type 85/89 cars.The rubber used in these mounts is around 10% stiffer than the standard Audi items,but due to the design,offer and overall increased stiffness of around 25%.According to 034,these still offer a reasonable ride quality,something you would not get from their track density option.
The centre bearing looks of similar desigh to the Audi original but seems more securely mounted in the rubber surround.The centre bearing is another failure point in the original Audi design,hopefully the 034 design is much stronger.Time will tell.
At US$25.00 each plus postage,for me,the price was very reasonable.From memory,the blue Audi mounts,if you can buy them,were over NZ$70.00 each,and in a hard driven car would only last about a year.
I will fit these over the winter here,as soon the snow will arrive and I probably wont want to drive the quattro that often with salt on the roads.Once they are fitted I will write another post with my impressions on the car.

http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_66_67&products_id=987

034 mount on the left.

GlenT

Great, thanks for that. Look forward to your results.
I will need to replace mine in the very near future too, along with new dampers.
Can't wait actually, as I already have the quattro GmbH alloy bushes.
So with new wishbone bushes it will be a wonderfull experience.
I've only ever had the blue top mounts and had no problems with them ,but I usually drive like an old lady so...
I remember replacing all the bushes and dampers (with OEM) in my old black Ur, and man what a superb feeling. I will never forget how well she handled.

5-pot

What was the freight from the USA, if you don't mind my asking?  Some of the stuff on 034 looks like really good quality and I'm doing a bit of planning for a turbo swap into my 90q.  Doing suspension work first and just touching up bits like the brakes, etc for now but turbo swap and targa in the long run, on the cards.
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

urq20v

My postal cost was to Europe,but I guess it might be a similar cost to NZ from the USA.It cost US$50.00 p&p.Four top mounts,total cost US$150.00=NZ$200.00.Thats NZ$50.00 per mount(no tax or gst payable).From memory,quite a bit cheaper than buying the blue Audi OEM mounts in NZ.You can work out the total cost including postage on the 034 site before committing to buy.
In NZ, I think the first $50.00 of collectable GST is free on imported goods.After that you do stand a good chance of being charged.
Ive just ordered 034's street density engine mounts and gearbox/diff mounts.Ive spent a bit more this time so it will be interesting to see if I get charged IVA (GST).

GlenT

That price seems very reasonable.
Even if it costs a tad more to get them to NZ.
I hope they work out great for you. They might be the only option for some of us, as quite often as you mentioned the blue OEM ones are rarer than rocking horse droppings.
Let us know how they stack up over all.

wilco

Hey Glen, do you want to get a set as I'm in for about 6. We could split shipping etc..   Anyone else too???

Steve.

5-pot

the suspension top mounts?  I could be keen but not right now.  Gotta wait for my next payday :P
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

BB

How are those mounts performing Rex?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

urq20v

Hey Jem,havnt fitted them yet.My ramps have only just arrived two days before Christmas so its a job for the New Year now,along with the 034 gearbox/diff mounts.Ive also bought the correct tool for removing the slotted top suspension nut.That should arrive any day now.

BB

You wont be able to use ramps to do that job will you?
Look forward to hearing about those strut tops, Do they make any for the mk1 golf as mine are crapping out already again, just did the ones on the jetta, makes a big difference.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?