Clutch repair

Started by vance, November 21, 2007, 11:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vance

Hi

I've got a 2001 s3 which needs the clutch replaced. I phoned Continental and Giltraps and they both quoted $2000. I also phoned a couple of european car mechanics and they were alot cheaper at around $1100 to $1300 but they didn't sound that clued up.

Does any one have any recommendations?

ps I previously used the username VB  :)

robh

I haven't used them but I think someone here has used Motorscience.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

djrisk

yeah give motorscience a buzz, i dont think they will be that much cheaper than contys but they are clued up for sure. Turbo had his cambelt done and said they were tops. www.motorscience.co.nz
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Trofeo

mine is being replaced at the moment, although i've gone for a heavy duty unit as both the stock clutch and dual-mass flywheel were toast thanks to being chipped. as for cost... it's going to be around $2K for the parts plus $800 for labour. It started out as $500 for a stock unit, or $1000 for a heavy duty one. I thought let's do it right and chose the HD unit. Then i was told that the flywheel was knackered, so Autoclutch are making up a new solid flywheel too. Should be back today or tomorrow (5 weeks so far....).
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

vance

Thanks for the advice guys. I will give motor science a call. Good luck with your clutch rebuild MTMS3 hope it goes well for you.

:)

veedubman

I have a R32 Clutch and Pressure plate sitting at home in my garage..