standard alarm system

Started by chocolatelustboy, April 27, 2005, 07:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocolatelustboy

Next question about the new wagon...

I was told that it comes with a Grade 3 (NZ standards) immobiliser and alarm, so I haven't bothered fitting one. Plus I have the 'flicky key fob thing' so it would be nice not to have another immobiliser doofer on the key-ring.

But I'm uncertain as to whether or not there really is an alarm fitted as there are no flashing lights etc.,...
There is however a little red light next to the internal door lock buttons that looks suspiciously like it should flash to say 'don't bother trying to steal me.'
But it doesn't flash and I haven't ever seen it light up - should it?

old4130

When you lock the car with the key, turn to lock, & hold the key in the lock position for a few secs.

Does the LED flash then ?
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

chocolatelustboy

Tried that this morning and the light did nothing. However, I did notice that the light was flashing - so not sure if it's a time-delay thing or if it was because I accidentally hit the 'lock' button instead of the 'unlock' button and so enabled something?

This last comment might seem silly but I've noticed that depending on how long I hold down the lock / unlock buttons sometimes it activates the front doors, sometimes all of the doors and sometimes all except the boot. If I do it naked under a full moon while thrashing myself with birch then the car hovers...

I'll check when I go back to my car later today to see if the light is flashing again.

dimistyle

David, as far as the Jap 1999 Passats go for standard alarm, they are installed with the immobiliser ONLY, the US models had alarms and with VAGCom you can enable the horn and indicator lights to flash with the locking and unlocking of the doors. I have tried re-programming 2 other 1999 Passats with no luck on the horn or flashing lights. ???

With the doors acting funny, can you confirm what actually happens, because you could have selective locking turned on which when you first press the button on the switch blade only the drivers door unlocks, 2nd time all other doors unlock. Otherwise you might have some dodgy microswitches in the doors. Check all doors unlock and that the lights on the bottom of the doors turn on when open this is a hint that they are actually working correctly. Also try using the all door lock button on the Drivers door handle and see if all the doors lock, any double pulsing of the door switches indicates faulty microswitches. >:(

Should be covered under extended warrantee as they are $400 each door for parts only. :o

chocolatelustboy

I'm learning more about my car all the time!

The lights already flash when I lock / unlock.

I'll work out the pattern later this evening re. front vs passenger vs all door activation. What do you mean by 'double pulsing?' I've noticed that usually when all the doors are unlocking I hear one set of doors unlock before the next set (again - I'll check what order this happens in later tonight).

So do you have the VAGCom gear?

chocolatelustboy

If I lock the car and then press the lock button a second time then the red light starts flashing. But the second press has to be a quick one - if I do an extended press then nothing happens (other than you can locks trying to engage).

Unlocking the car sometimes unlocks just the rear passenger doors and I even managed to do just the boot but haven't yet been able to work out the sequence or how!   ???

dimistyle

Yep I've got VAGCom, and your locking system does not sound like it is operating correctly.

BUT first check that locking with you key in to lock actually locks and unlocks the doors, and also that the internal door lock switch locks and unlocks all the doors ???

Double pulsing - well thats what I call it, when locking the doors the plungers go down BUT ten pop back up again, so door is left unlocked ???

Flashing LED seems random on mine as far as time between locking the doors and when it starts flashing. ???

I can scan for fault codes, and possible reprogramme if it has been set up wrong..back to http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/passatb5.html for more info..... ::)

chocolatelustboy

hi Dimitrios,

ok - she's not double-pulsing, just locks the back doors before the front doors (or vice-versa, can't remember).

do you know the pin-outs for that VAGCom cable of yours? serial or USB?

Stereo still working a treat. Will be in town later this evening - will call you to see about making a possible delivery of beer for your stirling efforts!

dimistyle

I've got the serial cable model works well for me :D

I'll scan you car next week, just remind me to bring it into work....