Yowsa, Ouch and Is there a plan B.....

Started by John Stone, November 29, 2007, 08:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stone

Got a reply from the JE agent in California today..........

John,
I am familiar with the early cars and engines. 79.5mm bore x 86.4mm stroke.

We do not have enough info in the system to make these without a sample. We have a particular customer that has purchased pistons for these engines but they were custom from a sample with many changes.

So, If you get us an original sample piston we can make these for you any way you want.
A Basic No Options set of 5 custom Audi WR JE 2618 Alloy forged pistons with wrist pins and JE Rings is $795 per set and takes approx 4-5 weeks to build. Any bore size or compression ratio you want...

Options: Items with * are recommended for Turbo, NOS, and High RPM Normally aspirated Endurance Racing use. See this page for description: http://www.racetep.com/jecustom.html#custopt

*Add $20 per piston for Total-Seal Gapless 2nd rings
*Add $35 per piston for Total-Seal Gapless Top rings (Extreme Turbo and NOS Use.)
*Add $40 per piston for High Heat Ceramic Coated crowns and Moly coated skirts
*Add $15 Per piston for Lightweight or Heavy Duty Wrist Pins
Add $22 Per piston for extreme lightening (Normally aspirated High RPM use only. Not for turbo or NOS)
Add $15 per piston for FSR Forgings. (Limited to certain bore sizes and applications only.)
Add $18 Per piston for Lateral Gas Ports (For Drag Race and High Compression enignes, also good for NOS use.)
*Add $8 per piston for Contact Reduction Grooves
Add $6 per piston for Accumulator grooves
Shipping is $89 by Global Express Mail (Tracked ) to NZ (5 Pistons + your sample returned)

It makes an ABY conversion appealing don't you think?

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

5-pot

Eek.  The hairs on the back of my neck just stood up on end.

I need more money...  :P
?The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.? - Thucydides (Ancient Greek historian and author, 460-404bc)

- 1990 Coupe quattro - R.I.P.
- 1988 90 quattro project... Sold
- 2005 Golf 2.0 TDI

RS ZWEI

So whats happened to your engine then John?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

wilco

John,
ABZ ABZ ABZ ABZ.... ;D ;D Only one sound better than a 5.!

qta4

John ,you should ring Ron and see what specs he used, JE still have his specs.

His custom made pistons were $1500 NZ for set landed here
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

slayer00

John Stone

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on November 29, 2007, 08:54:53 PM
So whats happened to your engine then John?
Until the head comes off, I'm not sure whether it will need new pistons or not, just doing a bit of forward planning in case I need to go down that route.
The head will be replaced with one I picked up from Jem, having some work done on that at the moment. Valves are all good, hardness, vacuum and pressure tests were all good, exhaust guides to be replaced and some work on an exhaust port and helicoils into the exhaust stud threads will make it like new :)Waiting on a pile of parts form Quattrocorner in the UK and then do the strip down.
Quote from: qta4 on November 30, 2007, 08:29:30 AM
John ,you should ring Ron and see what specs he used, JE still have his specs.

His custom made pistons were $1500 NZ for set landed here
I'll be giving him a call.....

Quote from: LOW-90 on November 30, 2007, 07:11:53 PM
Aby head on a 2.5l eurovan block >:D
Has that ever been done? I imagine you would still be looking for forged pistons though >:(

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

How about an up date john I hear things arnt so good in the head i sold you land sadly :-[
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

John Stone

Errr, well yes Jem, I still haven't gone to the engine builders and had a look. I'm guessing they are correct about the cracks, although a second opinion on having it welded may be worthwhile.
I guess I'd better start looking around again for another KG head......
Probably should start a new post and try all our resident 200 owners :'(
I do have one bit of good news though, which will be revealed within a week or so ;D

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

Excellent that you have some good news :) Will look forward to hearing it.

John Stone

Quote from: BB on December 29, 2007, 08:55:33 AM
Excellent that you have some good news :) Will look forward to hearing it.

It has the potential to turn the NLA Audi parts issue (and prices) upside down  ;)

John
86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

BB

Mike

Quote from: LOW-90 on November 30, 2007, 07:11:53 PM
Aby head on a 2.5l eurovan block >:D

That's a US name for a VW van with a 2.5 TDI? Not really suited to an engine that you want to rev freely; it's designed for low-down torque. There is a non-TDI crank with a similar capacity but more suited to revs I read about on a UK forum.

mik

Ha, you know i just read this thread and thought that price doesn't sound too bad...

I know theres a place in the UK that makes up sets for 600 pounds...