MegaSquirt a 5cylinder?

Started by 1oldAudi, May 03, 2005, 05:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1oldAudi

Does anyone know of someone in NZ who has converted the engine over to something a little more modern? Now i've done everything to my '89 100 2.2 EE it might be a good next project. I've been studying the www.megasquirt.com site now for a while and with a background in electronics it'd be a walk in a park. I can even machine parts because i have that kind of gear.

Since i've done so much to this car and its now more of a keeper than being sold for the standard $1000 they seem to go for, it sure could be a next bit of fun.

I know of a Yahoo group called MegaVAG where lots of folk have 'squirted their VASK engines. Any input from others would be appreciated.

veedubtom

Would it work on a K-Jet 190E 2.6?

orggti

I recon you should stick a blower on it as well as megasquirting it then it would be one hellava car 8)

veedubtom

Were you meaning me or 1oldaudi Jem?

OOOO

Quote from: urq20v on May 03, 2005, 05:17:16 PM
An EFI system used quite often for Audi K-Jet conversion is 034efi.Javed Shazdi from the USA is the man to talk to at 034efi,and he is an Audi Fanatic.034 efi is a well researched and developed system.
It is a bit more costly than Megasquirt I think.

Refer http://www.034efi.com
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

Duncan

034 is a good system, and Javad's pulling some *seriously* big preformance numbers, but it's just too darn pricey IMO. MegaSquirt is cheap, but has too many compromises (old hardware, needs separate board for ignition etc etc). UltraMegaSquirt will be better but isn't finished yet. My pick has been VEMS (Versatile Engine Management System) a.k.a. Genboard a.k.a. AVRMega.

Good hardware base, with good software as well. Only the documentation is a little lacking, but the group is starting to focus on that now. Uses the MegaSquirt tuning tools as well.
I am sitting at my desk soldering mine up now. It's going to go on an Audi 5 cyl NA ni the first place, but ultimate aim is to slap it on an Audi turbo and drop it into my CQ or 90Q...

Cost me about $1k for board and all the bits for a 5cyl. WBO2 sensor, EGT sensor, FET drivers for fuel and spark, MAP sensor etc etc.

I have very limited electronics experience, and relatively little programming experience, but the step b step guides seem to have come far enough now for me to stand a chance.

Come on and join in. It sounds like the best system for your project at the moment, and I could really do with a fellow audifan doing an EFI project locally!

Website is www.vems-group.org
It is Wiki based which is kinda scary 'til you get used to it, but there are step by step guides (with pics!) and good support from the developers. There is also an email list.

Hope to hear more on your project as it develops...

Duncan

OOOO

Quote from: Duncan on May 16, 2005, 10:32:23 PM
Hope to hear more on your project as it develops...

Would like to hear how you get on as well Duncan.  It is one of the many things I want to do to mine but 034 is too expensive.  Priced what I wanted at US$6,800 and that was just the parts without freight.  Admittedly I was going for everything  ;D
2014 Audi A8 4.2TDI
2013 VW Golf 2.0TDI
2009 Audi A3 quattro

dgacampbell

Hi there duncan,
I am in the process of trying to figure out how to convert my 2.3 NG to efi!
I know it has been a long time from this post, but any information on what you did, and how it worked out would really really be appreciated!
Many thanks
Dan.

slowburn

I've been sitting on this link for a while,it may be of some use?

http://www.toffnet.net/MS/audi.html
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

00quattro00

Quote from: dgacampbell on June 03, 2011, 05:08:31 AM
Hi there duncan,
I am in the process of trying to figure out how to convert my 2.3 NG to efi!
I know it has been a long time from this post, but any information on what you did, and how it worked out would really really be appreciated!
Many thanks
Dan.

Why do you want to go to efi?
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

00quattro00

Quote from: BB on June 03, 2011, 09:15:43 PM
Cause its better.

Not worth it on a standard engine, the ng had the best of the klet
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

BB

Depends on what you want Micheal.
He may simply enjoy doing that sort of work and like to be able to tinker with his setting to try different fuels etc.
His K-jet is old now.
He may not be after more power (which is all most seem to think means anything) he might get better economy in fact I'm sure he would.
Its an old post anyway I wonder if he did do it?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

dgacampbell

Hi folks,
The reason (no spitting and hissing please lol )
Well erm, i have been told that my airflow meter/ fuel metering head is on the way out for starters. loss of power on w.o.t :( Over ?500 new, no point in getting a second hand one somewhere and it maybe lasting 20 miles knowing my luck!
And i want to fit multipoint lpg kit also, cant be done without a standalone ecu as kjet system does not provide injector pulse for the lpg ecu to read,
so now its to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak!
Found this car with a genuine 52000 miles on the clock, full audi service history, previous owner was disabled, the most miles it has done in one year was just under 6000. if i had my way i'd leave it standard, but as it was 10 yrs from i last had one of these, and loved the car, would have still had it onlt someone decided to drive into it lol
its been diesels for the last 10yrs and i had for got how exspensive they are to run, either that or the fact that the price of fuel has more than doubled since my last one, lpg is the only long term solution to keep this car on the road!
Hence the need for EFI conversion.
Long winded excuse...... probably lol :P

slowburn

great stuff,that sounds like the perfect solution ;)
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Duncan

Heh! Sad to say my kit never quite made it into a car. Still sitting on the floor in my project room!
Vems still seems like a pretty useful starting point. I finally managed to get myself a 20 valve turbo too, in the form of a 1994 Audi S4, and vems actually do a plug and play kit for these, for sensible money.

Are you UK based, or here in NZ?

I was collecting parts for my upgrade, and got things like a toothed wheel for the crank pulley, fuel rail, fuel lines, injector adapters etc from Javad at 034EFI, and the EFI kit, OXS, LCD screen etc from the VEMS site.
Had also scavenged some injectors from a wreckers, and a throttle body with an analogue Throttle Position Sensor.

Think I have most of the bits at this stage, but never quite got there!

Maybe one day I'll get around to fitting it to the S4 in some form... but no one's going to be holding their breath at this stage!

Duncan

'94 Audi S4
'88 Audi 90Q
'86 Audi CQ
'90 Porsche 944 S2

dgacampbell

Hey Duncan,
Yeah i'm Uk based well Northern Ireland lol
Have most of it sorted out , well what i have to do and what i need, just need to sort out the cash to buy the stuff lol :P
There is a bit of debate as to weather the fuel rail from 034 will suit the NG engine i have, some say the injector spacing is different? i dunno, guess i'll cross that bridge when i get there, may have to be a custom job, no big deal in the great scheme of things!
Can i ask which car you got the injectors from? And was it a turbo 5 you where going to efi or a NA5??
Thanks
Dan.

Duncan

Dan,

Was going to do an NA first, just to get the hang of it, and then plan was to eventually put it on a 5cyl turbo.
Injectors, I just grabbed from a random car at a wreckers. Got them off a V6 jappa, and figured that since it was a larger cylinder size the injectors would be man enough for my little 2.2 na.

I'm still thinkjing about putting the 034 toothed wheel onto the crank when I next do the timing belt on my S4 (AAN). Remains to be seen if I actually get around to it though!

Duncan

stevenc1963

Megasquirt NZ say that they have provided for a number of 5cyl cars. Anyone got anything to report?
1985 Type 85 80 quattro
1989 Scirocco GT 2010 VW Nats, Best in Show, Water Cooled.
1990 100 quattro Avant
2000 Vespa PX150E