Mk3 windows

Started by coons, November 23, 2007, 06:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coons

So yea, the dreaded Mk3 windows. I've been searching and asking and I am possibly now more confussed then when I started. I have a couple of questions:

What exactly is the regulator, I thought it was something electrical, but from what I've read it sounds mechanical? And I read it's possible to do a DIY?
If the window doesn't work, is it likely to be just the regulator, or the motor too? And/or any other parts?
And what does it mean if the window makes noise when you try to put it up/down, and what does it mean if it doesn't?

:)

mark2 golf

the regulator is the mechanical mechanism that lifts the window up normally bay or cables and brackets. if you can here the Motor it is probable the regulator pull the door card off and have a look
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

qta4

Google should be able to answer your questions, but this is what i understand.

The window regulator, in a non electric window car, is the mechanism that raises and lowers the window glass.

With the electric version, regulator means the whole assy, including motor and drive.

If electric version makes noise when activated but does not move glass, suggests mechanical fault, maybe broken pulley,cable or something jammed.

When window is operated in up direction ,the motor is supplied with voltage + and - to terminal A and B.
When operated in the down direction ,motor polarity is simply reversed.

We have a 97 Mk3 GTI and found after owning car for a few months that rear passenger window did not work.
I checked switch for voltage ,all OK.
Removed door panel and found window jammed in the up position with a piece of wood.
No regulator,motor assy fitted. Just goes to show how often we use rear seats.
I refitted panel and ignored it. ;D
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

80 Vert

If it clicks when you try up or down its most likely jammed due to  broken clips on the regulator. If there's no sound at all its most likely the motor assy thats at fault.
If it makes a horrible crunching noise then the regulator is toast completely as the metal cable bunches up and jams.
Super common problem on MK3's. There's a few components that commonly fail on them, I repair most myself purely because I can and would otherwise have to replace a LOT of regulators on the cars we bring in.
The other problem being that if the window is up and jammed they are very difficult to disasemble as you can't access the bolts holding the window sash to the glass.
Hope this helps you.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

SOFTLAD

I'LL PROBABLY GET SHOT FOR RELEASING THIS TRADE SECRET AGAIN.

On the mk3 the windows are lifted and lowered by a cable loop that has a grommet or locater ball on the loop, this locater clips into a guide that slides up and down a track that makes the whole mechanism move smoothly.
It appears from when I had to sort mine there is tremendous force exerted on the locating clip when the window is in operation and basically the locater breaks the clip.
This means your window has no secure fixing other than the window seals around the edge and depending how tight these are depends how long your window remains up, what I found that during a journey the window would work it's way down and at journey end I just had to subtly slide it back up.
The parts people will charge you about $135 for what they call the regulator, thats each side not for a pair, however, what I was told is that by drilling a small hole either side  of where the locating clip is broken you can put the locater back in the broken clip and fix permanently in place with a small cable tie looped round through the 2 holes.
it took me 20mins to do one side the betwen 10 and 15 to do the other once I realised what to do & that includes removing the door panel.
IF ANYONE ASKS YOU DIDN'T HEAR THIS FROM ME >:D THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF DESTRUCT 10 SECONDS AFTER READING, AND IT'S BAD LUCK TO CHECK IF IT'S STILL HEAR AFTER READING ;D

qta4

Quote from: SOFTLAD on November 23, 2007, 09:15:06 PM
I'LL PROBABLY GET SHOT FOR RELEASING THIS TRADE SECRET AGAIN.

On the mk3 the windows are lifted and lowered by a cable loop that has a grommet or locater ball on the loop, this locater clips into a guide that slides up and down a track that makes the whole mechanism move smoothly.
It appears from when I had to sort mine there is tremendous force exerted on the locating clip when the window is in operation and basically the locater breaks the clip.
This means your window has no secure fixing other than the window seals around the edge and depending how tight these are depends how long your window remains up, what I found that during a journey the window would work it's way down and at journey end I just had to subtly slide it back up.
The parts people will charge you about $135 for what they call the regulator, thats each side not for a pair, however, what I was told is that by drilling a small hole either side  of where the locating clip is broken you can put the locater back in the broken clip and fix permanently in place with a small cable tie looped round through the 2 holes.
it took me 20mins to do one side the betwen 10 and 15 to do the other once I realised what to do & that includes removing the door panel.
IF ANYONE ASKS YOU DIDN'T HEAR THIS FROM ME >:D THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF DESTRUCT 10 SECONDS AFTER READING, AND IT'S BAD LUCK TO CHECK IF IT'S STILL HEAR AFTER READING ;D

I copied to a reply. you cannot  delete my reply >:D
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

80 Vert

That works fine for the rear regulator, front is a whole different story.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

gti vr6

my rear one wouldnt go up and made some really bad grinding/crunching noise so Qualitat fixed it in exchange for a bodily part...  :o
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

SteveC

I printed it and you can't delete that!

SOFTLAD

OK I'm in the preverbial s**t now for giving out trade secrets, on your heads be it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

dubsub

Is the '93 Mk3 golf window motor, regulator etc the same as a '91 Passat GT??
My mechanic told me "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder".

coons

Quote from: vert1 on November 23, 2007, 07:40:37 PM
The other problem being that if the window is up and jammed they are very difficult to disasemble as you can't access the bolts holding the window sash to the glass.

Your not wrong... any pointers here?
I've had the parts for ages and decided to give it a crack, and I'm currently stuck at these two bolts because I can't get at them.
I have previously got around this problem by pulling out the window seals and then pulling out the glass from the top, however that was on a car at pick-a-part haha, not too keen to do that on my own car.

rambo_005

Quote from: coons88 on February 24, 2008, 07:21:14 PM
Your not wrong... any pointers here?
I've had the parts for ages and decided to give it a crack, and I'm currently stuck at these two bolts because I can't get at them.
I have previously got around this problem by pulling out the window seals and then pulling out the glass from the top, however that was on a car at pick-a-part haha, not too keen to do that on my own car.

I was removing a working motor/regulator from a spare door today (not on a car) and encountered this problem. Seemed impossible to get window off, but found a solution: lay door on a sheet, smash window with hammer. Regulator comes free - simple! But not going to help you much is it? Sorry ;D

coons

Haha no not really..
However with a bit more fidling around just then, I've discovered that the problem is not the motor/regulator, it is something electrical to do with that door/switch. Because I plugged in the replacement motor and regulator (which works on my other doors) and it worked going up, but once the cable had reached the top, it obviously doesn't go up any further, it just clicks (as does the one thats already in there), and when you push down, nothing happens. So I thought maybe its the switch and tried the switch off the other back door, but same deal, it works going up but not down. So there is obviously some electrical problem. I sprayed out all the terminals and plugs in the door with contact cleaner, no joy there.
Any ideas on what this problem could be?

Edit: Ok so I've concluded it is deffinetly an electrical problem. Because it now works from the front switch, up and down, but only works up from the rear switch. I might take it to an auto electrician tomorrow, unless anyone else has any ideas? Atleast it's working now, and I have another spare working regulatr and motor  :)

DubMan

i had a problem with one of my back windows where i put it down then later in the day i went to put it back up but no movement motor sounds and so on but no movement......its a litle plastic clip thing that holds the cable (that moves the window up and dpown)in place, calld vw and they only sell the whole unit but a kwick fix with a couple of cable ties to hold it inplace and she's all good ......