Friends Car Needs Help

Started by Angle, February 04, 2008, 04:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angle

A co-worker needs help with her car. She own's a '99, A3, Auto and Midas has diagnosed the car as having something wrong with the throttle body based on the fault code that came up - 17916.

The car is not idling properly is the only known symptom at this time, but there was talk of checking the high tension leads & plugs, etc. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

mark2 golf

have they checked the coils and plug these are the most common things to start playing up. and maf will make it idle rough. but i haven't heard or the throttle body. are these electronic or cable.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

uero-jet

mums mk4 tdi also had a throttle error code come up a few months back.plugged in the scan tool.ended  up it was a broken wire about 10cm from throttle body.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on February 04, 2008, 04:10:17 PM
A co-worker needs help with her car. She own's a '99, A3, Auto and Midas has diagnosed the car as having something wrong with the throttle body based on the fault code that came up - 17916.

The car is not idling properly is the only known symptom at this time, but there was talk of checking the high tension leads & plugs, etc. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Why doesnt she just take it to a VAG dealership instead of Midas?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Angle

The Midas shop charged her $85 + GST for the privilege of scanning her car, so before I advised her heading off to the dealership, getting a better idea of the problem seemed in order.

old4130

Quote from: AngleBox on February 05, 2008, 08:47:29 AM
The Midas shop charged her $85 + GST for the privilege of scanning her car, so before I advised her heading off to the dealership, getting a better idea of the problem seemed in order.

Good idea

Or the delership will scan.. readout says this part is faulty, so just replace this part, say its fixed, & charge an absolute fortune, in parts & labour
& probably the car will go back with the same symptoms  >:D

Well in my experience of Dealerships, thats what happens.. even when you say exactly what is wrong, & a good idea of what needs replacing.. after 4 attempts they replace what you said it was, & hey bingo your car is all good again

Maybe I am just getting cynical  ::)
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

rambo_005

Z-One in Palmerston North scanned my car for nothing when the ABS light came on...

BB

It will be what euro-jet says, the error codes don't usually lie ::) If its not getting its signal from the throttle body its not getting its signal from the throttle body.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

rambo_005

It might just need a throttle body alignment? My Bora came up with a throttle body fault... and the alignment fixed it.

BB

How do you do that? Dont you just start them and leave them idling for about 15 mins?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

qta4

VAG-COM, read fault codes then delete codes,but save for future ref.
Do throttle body adaption with vag-com.

Run for week and re-check fault codes.
Throttle body errors can be caused by low battery voltage,among other non-fatal things
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.