A2 progress

Started by hemihead, March 15, 2008, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graeme

while your in the engine bay have a look at the bracket the power steering rack push's on,the welds on mine looked a bit suspect i fully welded it with the thought of loading's with big wheels and tires.

graeme

out of interest I have just had a email my contact in UK,he has left QRsport and is doing his own thing.he has a set of A2 moulds and is making panels,will enquire about bumpers,spoilers,grills etc.

hemihead

yeah, ask him i could be interested

hemihead

heres a few more pics of my rear radiator and my fuel tank

hemihead

the steel frame supports the radiator and will be panelled in with ali. The radiator exhaust will be big holes in the boot and possibly the rear bumper. The frame has a flange which will take a mesh screen to prevent stones being flicked up from the rear wheels from hitting the radiator. There will also be a bit of a scoop or "pick-up" to direct a bit more air into the chute. You can see in the pics of the tank that the bottom tapers up on the passenger side of the car, this is the encourage the fuel to hang around the pick-up (in the little sump on the drivers side) and to give me some room to pass the radiator pipes under the tank and into the cabin.

hemihead

heres some of the radiator in position

graeme

tryed to email but would'nt work,bonnet is 15-20mm longer than the A2 guards,I was going to just trim the back edge to pull the whole thing back.Other wise the width and rear radius are fine.

hemihead

cool, i'm currently trying to import some from sweden and it may work out a whole lot cheaper to source a bonnet here so i'll get back to you asap. While i'm on the topic are there any vaskers who work in shipping and may be able to help me out?

HaNs

Quote from: hemihead on September 29, 2008, 06:21:58 PM
cool, i'm currently trying to import some from sweden and it may work out a whole lot cheaper to source a bonnet here so i'll get back to you asap. While i'm on the topic are there any vaskers who work in shipping and may be able to help me out?

How many cubic meters of gear?

ritmo

Awesome work moparman.

did you do the tigwelding also? Not bad at all.

Are the hoses/pipes from rad to engine going under the car or thru the cabin?

And what is the deal with fueltank in back of hatchback? Legal? I assume if sectioned off it is.

hemihead

i'm looking at importing a rear wing (1400x300x300), front bumber (1400x350x300), grill (1350x250x300) and possibly a bonnet (1400x1200x200) all approximate sizes then it will be packaged so about that big ;D

Yeah i did the tig as well, the boot will be sectioned off with aliuminium so it will be sealed off from the cockpit. The rad pipes will run through the cabin down the pass side.

GroupbA2rob

Hey there guys,

Im doing the same as you are, ie A2 replica, am I hearing you right the A2 front guards are shorter than the existing guards and bonnet, and there is a 10 - 20mm over hang?

Cheers Rob

graeme

that makes sense,as my S1 bonnet was started from a plug made from of my std. Quattro road car bonnet.This would back up what your saying that the guards are shorter for some reason conpeared to both the std quattro and S1.

hemihead

i'm pretty sure the A2 and standard quattro are the same length, the S1 is longer. I started fitting my rear panels on saturday and have also converted to dual maste cylinders and a more "sensible" clutch master cylinder, i'll post some photos of the balance bar brake arrangement when i get a chance

Angle

This thing looks awesome. How could you possibly put it on the track??  ;D

GroupbA2rob

Welldone!! - shes taking shape, are you chopping the rear existing body panels or glueing the new ones over the top?

As for the skirting below the doors is this going to be a "get fabricated jobby"?

These are questions Im going to be coming across when I get my act together!! ;D

hemihead

i'm building her to use it ;D so i'll be hitting the track as much as possible!

yeah i'm chopping out the existing rear guards and re-tubbing the outer half of the inner guards ;D and will cut the old sills out and make new ones

BB

The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

hemihead

I've spent the last week or two building a spit roast, and i have to say, now that its done, i should have done this a long time ago! i'm getting it ready to go to the sandblasters cause i'm sick of the smell of burning underseal! i have bought a 1.5:1 steering quickener to effectively shorten the rack from 3.3 to 2.2 turns lock to lock! oh and my sportquattro bonnet, grill, front bumper and rear wing are due to arrive on these shores on the 5th of january - santa must think i've been a good lad this year!

tcorey

Hemihead,

Can you tell me or send photos of how you attached the composite rear bumper to the back of the car?

Are you using standard coupe brackets?

Todd