A2 progress

Started by hemihead, March 15, 2008, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemihead

i havn't done it yet, but i will probably make up some simple ali L-shaped brackets and glass them onto the inside of the bumper

BB

Nice spit roaster ;) With the cost of a couple of engine stands these days its a no brainer!!!
I love to see good simple ideas like that.
Can you show more photos of the bars holding onto the car and how do you get it up onto it and off?
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

hemihead

every car would be different but i just spanned between the two front chassis rails (theres even some M8 captivated nuts to bolt up to) and picked up off the rear bumper mounts. I was worried about the rear end being stiff enough, especially as i have cut away alot of sheet metal so i built a big cross in the boot bolting up to the rear seat belt points on the turrets and the inside of the bumper mounts. It's plenty strong enough and allows me to fit the rear subframe if i want. I got it up by jacking then chocking then jacking then chocking until it got to the right height. heres some pics of the spit roaster, balance bar, steering shortener, and a few of my mighty val for good luck!

hemihead

!

hemihead

!

hemihead

!

hemihead

!

BB

good skills there mate ;)

blue 20v

how goes the build, did your parts turn up from euro?

1986 20vt UR quattro

hemihead

hey, i have some updates soon but first can anyone put me i contact with andrew hawkeswood, i have a few questions i'd like to ask him!

hemihead

well time for an update, i've made some changes over the last few months, the largest being i'm ditching the 016 quattro gearbox, centre and rear diff in favour of a subaru type r 5 speed drivetrain  (runs for cover :D) now i know what some of you will be saying but from a driveability point of view its the only way to go. It gives me a modern close ratio gearbox that has an LSD front diff, digitally controlled variable centre LSD (DCCD) and a plated LSD rear diff all of which i can get tons of good bits for, once i'm happy with my ratios i intend to look at dog engagement gears for it. So far i have the subaru box, diff, driveshaft, axles, have bought a fancy new subaru clutch. The flywheel will be the a custom made jobby which i have already designed and am waiting to get back from the CNC guys. Then i need to make an adaptor plate for between the audi motor and subaru box. Once i have them bolted together i can start making all the diff mounts, gearbox mounts, and hopefully i can move my motor back a bit in the car which will aid in handling, finally i'll need to make 4 new axles. I am offically the go-to guy if you need to know anything about clutch slave cylinders! i spent days researching what you can buy before settling on a willwood pull cylinder which will hopefully work! Otherwise i have also entirely stripped the bottom of the car of underseal (not a job i want to do again in a hurry!) Earlier this year i got my package from sweden, this turned out to be a bit of a nightmare but thats a different storey. I pulled the car off its spit-roast today so i can take it to work for a while to do some serious work on it and i just couldn't help throwing the seats and some of the panels on for a bit of a mock-up heres some pics for ya.

btw. does anyone know where i could get a pair of ur indicators (lens and housing)?

hemihead

hemihead

omad

nice, looking good!!
1999 Golf GTI ABT
2009 Suzuki Jimny, 19.9% VAG and 1300cc's of off-road goodness...

Salty

Good on ya mate - keep the dream alive. Love how the A2 moulds have just made her look like a scary predator.
Now in air cooled. '70 fastback 1835 turbo
2012 VW Golf Gti MKVI
2013 Triumph Street triple R

BB

Can't wait to see this car!
I thought Hemi was some old rich racer building such a special car! But no he is a young fulla with tons of ability.
The subbie parts are the way to go.
What an achivement this will be.

slowburn

bro, those A2 moulds are the bizzle!!

my hats off to you mate as this car isn't even finished and I think its the HAWTness, dude easily the most pleasing thing I've laid eyes on {Auto wise} in a while......

NICE

ps,do you think you could post up a link as to where you got them and how much? or is that too revealing? >:D
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

hemihead

cheers guys, i got the guards locally and the bonnet bumper,grill and wing from sweden the whole lot ows me $5-6000 before i have even thought about fitting them. I do this sort of thing for a living and this has me scratching my head i places. I wouldn't like to think what it would cost to pay someone to do it. I'm going to make a few moulds at some stage so things may become available to purchase.

graeme

loving the grill and rear spoiler,any chance you wanting to take moulds from them to make panels?
I've just had a second mould made By Brian for a de-tuned S1 bonnet for my A2.Whats the plan for the escape hatch in the roof,large NACA duct for the radiator?