PROJECT CAR: Mk2 Jetta ABF Conversion

Started by Angle, March 30, 2008, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angle

I'm looking for a few good parts, and I thought posting my build might help. I'm starting with a clean Jetta shell, and want to upgrade the engine, transmission and interior. I'm looking for good seats, doorcards, rear parcel tray, A, B & C pillar covers in black or gray.

If you like the blue interior, make me an offer. Also, if you need the Auto box it's also for sale, as is the engine and stock suspension. PM me for additional details. Here's the starting point:

gti vr6

Are you on a life style block Dennis?
That blue dash is hawt as  :D
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

Angle

Yeah, that pile of trees behind the car is a weekend's worth of work. We needed to move the shelter belt over, so new trees will get planted once it starts to rain.

80 Vert

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Angle

This is one of my favorite Jetta's.

But, wanting to stay happily married (a complete strip and re-spray won't go down too well at this point), this is where my project is headed, although I may still keep the Jetta front.

Filx

Quote from: AngleBox on March 30, 2008, 11:06:07 PM
I'm looking for a few good parts, and I thought posting my build might help. I'm starting with a clean Jetta shell, and want to upgrade the engine, transmission and interior. I'm looking for good seats, doorcards, rear parcel tray, A, B & C pillar covers in black or gray.

If you like the blue interior, make me an offer. Also, if you need the Auto box it's also for sale, as is the engine and stock suspension. PM me for additional details. Here's the starting point:

Dang - that Jetta looks really familiar  :-\  :laugh:  Great work Dennis - fantastic to see another cool VASK project in the making. Please keep the Jetta face - maybe just with an eyebrow spoiler? The square lights are so much less common of a sight in NZ.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Angle

I hate eyebrow spoilers! I can't find new headlights, hence considering an alternative face.

spooln

That jetta looks super straigt. Good luck with the project. Flix, what are you driving now?
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

Angle

It's the shape of the body that convinced me to do this up rather than the Golf. It's got a few bits of rust and a couple of dings, but no-respray required.

gti vr6

I like the look of the silver one with the Golf face. Good buying Dennis. All the best with the project.
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

Period_Correct_

nice 1 Dennis. good to see another jetta project...  ;)
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

Angle

Does anyone know where to buy a rear spoiler? I've looked for a few nights and come up blank. I don't want to buy private from overseas, but a company is fine.

Vert and I talked about what I wanted to do, and as a result, he's going to get involved in transforming the Mk2 into a Mk3 hybrid. Essentially I should end up with a Mk2 Jetta shell wrapped around a Mk3. I'm grateful Vert has some time to help me with this.

I've called around looking for good door cards, and Brendon seems to be the only person with some that may suit? Black or grey are fine. I've found a grey carpet. I've asked Platinum to look for doorcards for me, and I'm guessing that if they get a Mk2 with good door cards in, I'll be able to grab the A,B & C pillar caps as well.

I'm also looking for a grey rear parcel tray, so any help there would be appreciated. I've condensed all this in the classified sections. By the way, the blue interior is in great shape if anyone wants to convert their car to blue ;). I won't need any Mk2 interior bits other than what I've described, so you could put together your own Smurf machine.

qta4

Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Angle

Quote from: qta4 on April 03, 2008, 10:42:58 PM
Angleblingbox ;D

I'm with you on this one. No bling, just neat and tidy.

Angle

I'm looking at suspension with 300# Fr 280# rear spring rates. Bildon have advised to go up to 500 fr / 450 rear. Any thoughts?

GLIDN

on suspension i cannot comment, as for rear parcel shelf, we could always recarpet it with black or grey??
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

robh

Quote from: AngleBox on April 04, 2008, 05:17:36 PM
I'm looking at suspension with 300# Fr 280# rear spring rates. Bildon have advised to go up to 500 fr / 450 rear. Any thoughts?

500/450 sounds like a pretty high spring rate for a road car to me.

I'm running 350 in the front with a big old heavy VR6 and it's fairly stiff on the road, still rolls a bit on the track.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

80 Vert

Def too heavy. If you do the same as Robh, even then I think you will find them too stiff with quite a bit less weight over the front.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Angle

Quote from: dubbed on April 04, 2008, 05:27:13 PM
on suspension i cannot comment, as for rear parcel shelf, we could always recarpet it with black or grey??

Good idea. I like a factory look, so I'll keep an eye peeled for the right carpet. Your VR6 seats look grey?

Angle

Quote from: robh on April 04, 2008, 05:58:15 PM
500/450 sounds like a pretty high spring rate for a road car to me.

I'm running 350 in the front with a big old heavy VR6 and it's fairly stiff on the road, still rolls a bit on the track.

I'm running 350# with the Anglia and really like the ride, although it is probably not as intrusive as a result of the overall car not being very refined. I thought 300 sounded right, so thanks for confirming. Noel, how about that! Stiffer front than rear, just as you've set up; were you watching the US boys?