PROJECT CAR: Mk2 Jetta ABF Conversion

Started by Angle, March 30, 2008, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robh

There is a more accurate way to get the spring rate.

You need to measure the length of your existing springs while the car is on it wheels, then take them out and give them to Stocks workshop, they will measure the spring rate of your existing springs and compare that with the free length versus the compressed length.  They can then advise you how much weight they are supporting and what sort of spring rate would be suitable for your style of driving.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

RS ZWEI

Quote from: AngleBox on April 04, 2008, 05:17:36 PM
I'm looking at suspension with 300# Fr 280# rear spring rates. Bildon have advised to go up to 500 fr / 450 rear. Any thoughts?

Dennis, if its going to be your daily driver, why dont you buy an off the shelf suspension kit. I dont see why you want to reinvent the wheel?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Angle

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on April 07, 2008, 07:48:45 AM
Dennis, if its going to be your daily driver, why dont you buy an off the shelf suspension kit. I dont see why you want to reinvent the wheel?

Both of those are off the shelf kits, but their site didn't specify spring rates, hence asking Bildon what they were.

Angle

Going out with my boys today to do a bit of bowling, then bring the car into the garage and strip out the interior. A few parts arrived (water pump and thermostat). I bought some used rims on TM and went to the shop to see them yesterday. They are extremely light - I'd guess 15 pounds for 16" rims! Qta and I are doing a spring swap so the Jetta will end up with a lower stance.

The more exciting bits are still in a warehouse somewhere. I've ordered a new sway bar which bolts to the rear section and another 'typical' rear sway bar can be added later to fine tune the suspension. Camber adjustment bolts for the front end, a short shift kit, lightweight flywheel and performance clutch round out the new parts.

The Mk3 seats have been stripped and are having a subtle center panel inserted. I'm still struggling with door cards though. I want them to tie into the new interior but don't want to pay to have the panels re-covered. Vert1 has organised all the new little maintenance parts and steam cleaned/degreased the ABF engine.

We're due to strip the mechanicals on Tuesday. Can't wait to get this thing started. Still looking for a rear spoiler and I'd also like some 16v door side trim.

Period_Correct_

i might have all my interior for sale soon.. i'll keep you posted.
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

80 Vert

And so...... another project begins. The car has been gutted to within an inch of its life, everything forward of the rear axle has been stripped and most of it binned.
Anglebox played with some nasty chemicals last night and the results are quite surprising, just a good clean in the engine bay and the underside of the bonnet has made things look a whole lot better.

I had already degreased and steamcleaned the MK3 subframe and powersteer rack so that all got bolted up yesterday. I had intended to use the MK3 front crossmember but to make this fit was going to be too much effort so instead I'll use the MK2 one and modify the engine mount area so we can install a nice MK3 VF uprated one.

Todays progress was quite good, got the shifterbox mounted, brake booster mounted, pedals mounted, ABS pump and ecu mounted and also custom made most of the brake lines to suit.
The pump has all its brake lines connected and just waiting for the susp to go in.
I'm not that happy with the way the pedals sit in the car as it seems the brake booster is mounted higher in a MK2 body so i'm going to lengthen them both to suit.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Angle

Here a few pics from earlier in the day. John's a pretty speedy fellow  :laugh:.

Filx

Yeehaaaaaaaaaaa Mk2 projects are the shizzle! This and Brendan's are gonna be awesome! Plus all the existing ones - phwooar. Man there's some cool VASK cars that have come together in the last few years with no let up on the horizon! LOVE IT  ;D :o 8) :-* >:D
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Angle

Here's an idea as to how the inside will look!

Jetta CLI

you so lucky to have a jetta project  ;)

Filx

Sweet. Is that a Mk4 shift knob I see?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Angle

It is. Not certain I'll be as fortunate. Will need to see how the budget works out. So far, all projections are I have exactly $.43 left to spend.

gti vr6

Looking good guys!!

Will you run the air bags like in the car pictured?
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

Angle

Vert1 talked me into a full conversion. Airbags, ABS, full suspension, wiring loom, etc. Should be pretty nifty!

Period_Correct_

Quote from: AngleBox on May 10, 2008, 08:14:50 AM
Vert1 talked me into a full conversion. Airbags, ABS, full suspension, wiring loom, etc. Should be pretty nifty!

good stufff, that'll be the way to do it!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

gti vr6

Quote from: AngleBox on May 10, 2008, 08:14:50 AM

If you have it you might as well use it... Good one.
Like flix says its another awesome project. Look forward to seeing the car re-assembled and rejuvinated  8)
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

80 Vert

Haha you're a funny guy! Talked me into it, didn't take much then did it?  ;D

Angle

Quote from: vert1 on May 10, 2008, 06:27:21 PM
Haha you're a funny guy! Talked me into it, didn't take much then did it?  ;D

The official press documents state the following: "It's all Vert's fault"

Audi Life

80 Vert

Ohh well thats ok then, I'm used to getting the blame.