PROJECT CAR: Mk2 Jetta ABF Conversion

Started by Angle, March 30, 2008, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80 Vert

Lots of progress today with 2 of us working on the Jetta.
Started off this morning by cutting away the extra firewall bulkhead that MK2's have so that we can fit the MK3 heater/AC box.
None of the holes realy line up exept the large oval one where the heater core pipes come out through, we just made a cardboard template and transfered all the dimentions to the MK2 firewall and started cutting.

Also had to cut a hole for the AC drain since this car will now have AC too. Trial fitted the box a couple of times to get it sitting right and then realised that the air intake for the fan is in the wrong place on the MK2 body so another plate was fabbed up for that to correct the problem.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

80 Vert

This shows the bulkhead cut away and primed with black zinc

80 Vert

We ended up usin a MK3 throttle pedal as I didn't like the way the MK2 one runs up through the rain tray and then its quite a sharp bend for it to connect onto the ABF engine. Solution was to make a couple of brackets to position the MK3 pedal where I wanted it and weld in place.
It now uses a MK3 ABF throttle cable and exits through the firewall where a MK3 one would.

The heaterbox has a new core in it as I don't want to be pulling it all apart again when the old one starts leaking. So after fitting the throttle pedal and engine bay wiring the heaterbox was fitted again and is there to stay now.
While the heaterbox was out I also made a plate for the airbag module to sit on which was welded to the tunnel in the same place where it would sit in a MK3.

With the heaterbox in place the AC lines were run and re bent a little to suit the MK2 body. You'll also see the ABS unit in place along with the shifter cables etc.

80 Vert

All the wiring looks kinda messy now and doesn't realy come out in a picture but where everything is placed looks really factory.
The brake booster is ready to go back in as all the wiring is now in place and runs through the firewall behind the booster so it was a lot easier to take it out for this job.
Will have to lengthen the pedals as they are way too high off the floor, It seems that MK3 pedal boxes are mounted lower in the car and therefore have shorter pedal arms but again some mods will fix that.

All the brake lines were re-bent where possible for a factory look and clipped to the firewall to keep them straight and out of the way.
The rear lines were too short to plug into the ABS pump so I had to machine some double ended fittings to be able to lengthen them so they could reach the pump.

Angle

WOW  :o Talk about a productive day! Looks like it will be wrapped up by Friday! Unfortunately some key parts from the States haven't arrived yet. I really wish sites would be more accurate when things are a) on backorder or b) need to be sourced from another warehouse  >:(

qta4

Are you taking sick leave Dennis to complete the toy project?
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Angle

This one's not a toy project. It's the real deal, as she will become my daily. No sick leave, but I may book a few more afternoon appointments.

gti vr6

dennis you have a car fetish, are you getting treatment?
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

80 Vert

Man I wish the flywheel and clutch were here  ;)
The motor and box would go in this week.
At a risk of jinxing the project I won't say much more, Paul and I will try and get another day on it tomorow, plans are to strip the rear susp out and remove the drum brakes.
The MK3 fuel tank was modified a little today so hopefully that will bolt right in tomorow and I'll run another fuel line to the front as the Jetta was carbed and is a line short.

qta4

Quote from: AngleBox on May 12, 2008, 07:59:17 PM
This one's not a toy project. It's the real deal, as she will become my daily. No sick leave, but I may book a few more afternoon appointments.

Do you think SHE will enjoy riding on Eibach springs,you may have to hotmix your driveway if you want to keep your oil pan in one piece.
I take no respnsibility if the oil pan gets a hole in it. >:D ;D
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

Angle

Quote from: gti vr6 on May 12, 2008, 08:09:42 PM
dennis you have a car fetish, are you getting treatment?

Self medicating. A few days ago I came to the realisation I had a problem. That's step 1 right?

Angle

Quote from: qta4 on May 12, 2008, 08:11:09 PM
Do you think SHE will enjoy riding on Eibach springs,you may have to hotix your driveway if you want to keep your oil pan in one piece.
I take no respnsibility if the oil pan gets a hole in it. >:D ;D

Sure, now that my springs are in your car you can afford to be liberal with the truth. Just put a bit of 20mm metal on the drive today. It'll be perfect - oil pan safe! (new shape below - no photo's by my better half of today's work)

80 Vert

Another good day on the car today with lots achieved.
The MK2 rain box is significantly smaller than a MK3 one so fitting the ABF's ECU wasn't going to be easy, there's no room to mount it lengthways in there so I had to make a couple of mounts for it to sit on in a left to right configuration.
The good thing is that it sits on the highest part of the box so well out of harms way and the MK2 rain tray still fits neatly where its supposed to be.

The Eibach springs arrived from QTA4 today so we were able to install them on the Sachs sportline shocks that are going in the car.
The rear drum brakes came off today and MK3 GTI discs went on, a small mod was needed on the rear beam to allow enough clearance for the rear ABS sensors to fit but thats all as the rest just bolts on.
It still needs some new hoses in the rear but other than that its pretty much complete in the rear.

The front also has Sachs shocks with Eibachs and these went together easily, we are using the 288mm brakes of a 16V GTI, new strutmounts installed to replace the knackered old stuff.
Once the rear bias valve is removed and new hoses are on the whole system can be bled completing the brakes.

All we need now Anglebox is PARTS!!!  :P

Angle

The good news is the parts are in transit ... the bad news; within the US still  :P

gti vr6

Hey Dennis, your new brakes turned up @ the dubshack today....

1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

Angle

I've been waiting for those! Thanks  ;D

Angle

Anyone run 195/45's on 7" wide rim? I'd like to know what the stretch is like. And I'm looking for some factor front fog lamps to fit a big bumper.

Filx

195s on a 7" rim is zero stretch. Even with 45s I think you'd be looking at a vertical sidewall at best. The tire type will determine whether the sidewall tucks in slightly at the top or not.

If you are sourcing some 195/45s I'd be in for a set if there's any advantage to getting a couple of sets at once  :)
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

robh

What brake setup is that?
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

80 Vert

The fake plastic cover kind  ;)