S4 Brakes

Started by djrisk, April 07, 2008, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbo

yeah, full upgrade is a bit of an over investment for me.

nearly $5k from race brakes for 6 pot 330mm (stock is 321 so not tiny)

i only do one or 2 track days a year with vask so better rotors that don't warp is all i need.

pretty happy with the redstuffs and dot 5.1 (easily better than OEM, but may have just over done it at hampton - EBC says reds are under kill for that track and recommended yellows)
racebrakes guys reckons they're s**t - but then he would wouldn't he? ... sounds like their pads are a bit more iffy than EBCs, going by anecdotal evidence here.
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Bullseye

I would not worry with the rears if I was you.

I did the rears on the Teg and then spent a heap of time trying to stop the rears locking. I ran the 6 hour with brembo rotors, red stuff pads and good fluid with standard rear rotors and metal kings; we braked the entire race under 80 meters into the hairpin.

B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

Turbo

ok.
so i reckon it's between the znoelli s12's.
or the DBA series 5000 2 pieces.

both about the same price, both more resistant to warping.

just asking about the DBA series 4000's to see if they're as heat resistant as they're about 1/3 the price. so if they last more than a 1/3 longer than the 5000's i'm in the black...
2000 S4, MTM stage 1, Oettinger RE's, Bilstein Sports, Vogtland springs, H&R Swaybars, DBA 4000 rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, 710N DV's, F1 tints, RS4 clutch

Trofeo

have you checked out the UK forums as they seem to do far more track day events than anyone else. i'm sure they would have a good handle on pros and cons for the S4 braking options.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

veedubman

Quote from: Turbo on May 13, 2010, 10:32:05 AM
how do you know if they're factory bonded?
are redstuffs?

Well if you bought them out of a box and they are brand like EBC or something they are more likely Factory Produced.. ie having to meet ISO standards blah..

if you ahve given your old pads to racebrakes or similar.. or they have "got some made for you.." ala Mintex 1166 or what ever..

le mans

If going the full upgrade route there are various options. The most expensive (and probably the best) seem to be the likes of AP Racing and other dedicated race set ups. Of course such a set up won't necessarily be street friendly. One of the cheapest ways to get some serious stopping power is to run Porsche Cayenne 6 pot calipers with compatible 350mm rotors. JHM in the USA have a full bolt on kit including rotors, brake lines and pads for USD1850 plus shipping. Unfortunately there is more money to spend with a cert whenever you change to different sized rotors or calipers. It would be fair to say that most of us on here who only do a handful of track days a year are not looking to spend that kind if money. So far my standard  RS4 brakes have been adequate, but Hampton Downs has taken things to a new level! The track fee is the cheapest part of they day lol.

Turbo

yeah, no doubt.

nah, full upgrade isn't on the cards. can't justify it. and with 350mm would need bigger rims. which in turn need bigger tyres which all add up to bigger bills.

reckon i'll go DBA 4000 rotors. maybe pagid pads if the reds are cooked.

vaudiw

It seems the S4 and to an extent the RS4 suffers from overheating rather than the stopping power of the brakes. With this in mind I have been wondering how much good air ducting would benefit the braking longevity and how this could be easily and unobtrusively acheived.

One option I have seen with the S4 is the removal of the fog lights and duct run from there to the wheel arch. Includes cutting the plastic liner which I'm not keen on. There is also the ducting from the Phaeton which forms part of the splash guard. This is almost a direct bolton, but it only chanels available air from the wheel arch to the rotors but doesn't get any more air into the wheel arch

I have asked on RS246 but no-one seems to have gone down this path except from the Phaeton kit and didn't get much feedback on the effiectiveness of it, so maybe I 'm barking up the wrong tree (wouldn't be the 1st time :-\).

Turbo

yeah, ah well. i'm not trying to shave off tenths, just wanting to avoid hitting a wall while blowing out the cobwebs.

been doing a bit of reading on pads and there are so many opinions either way on all the brands mentioned.

however carbotech seem to come out with all positive comments particuarly xp8's.
anyone used / heard of them?

was between the yellowstuffs and pagid blues or yellow but i might try and track down a set of these.

pooek9

Quote from: Turbo on May 13, 2010, 06:20:58 PM
yeah, ah well. i'm not trying to shave off tenths, just wanting to avoid hitting a wall while blowing out the cobwebs.

been doing a bit of reading on pads and there are so many opinions either way on all the brands mentioned.

however carbotech seem to come out with all positive comments particuarly xp8's.
anyone used / heard of them?

was between the yellowstuffs and pagid blues or yellow but i might try and track down a set of these.

I currently have carbotechs on my honda and compared  to the Ds3000e i ran I would rate them below the fredo's. Baking is still pretty good, but just don't have the same feel that I like with the DS3000e's

Turbo

3000's are just track brakes though right? they say 'not suitable for road use' and i think they're illegal aren't they? in the uk at least.

pooek9

Quote from: Turbo on May 13, 2010, 10:21:56 PM
3000's are just track brakes though right? they say 'not suitable for road use' and i think they're illegal aren't they? in the uk at least.

Yeah they are track brakes, but if you drove the car you would not know they were track brakes as they don't squeal and work great from cold. They are expensive but I'll be going back to these pads with my new calipers. I haven't heard anything to say that running race pads are illegal in NZ, I'm sure if it was the case it would be more publicised?

Turbo

Quote from: le mans on May 12, 2010, 03:55:23 PM
I've just ordered some Pagid RS29 Yellows from 0800 Racebrakes (here's a link to the product description: http://www.pagid-brake-pads.co.uk/products/rs29-yellow-ceramic-based.php). They are expensive but supposed to wear extremely well and wont chew your rotors. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

how are these going?
i might have to order these as the blues aren't made for my car anymore.
they seem to get great reviews except for noise. squeal badly. do yours?

le mans

Still waiting for shipment - about 2 weeks away. Currently running the oem pads.

Turbo

mine are on today, haven't bedded in yet, but man are they noisey. it's like 1000 people running their wet fingers around wine glasses.
says they get quieter with proper bedding in so fingers crossed.

speaking of which, anyone know of any good roads in auckland to go from 180-50kph 4 times in a row?

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Turbo on July 29, 2010, 10:55:54 PM
mine are on today, haven't bedded in yet, but man are they noisey. it's like 1000 people running their wet fingers around wine glasses.

speaking of which, anyone know of any good roads in auckland to go from 180-50kph 4 times in a row?

Queen St on a Friday or Saturday night?

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Bullseye

B8 A4 Avant - soon to be eating Chips

djrisk

Quote from: Turbo on July 29, 2010, 10:55:54 PM

What did you get on? Te Irirangi dr at night is a good road for that if thats what you are into.
Who services your car these days? mines due one soon and after the disaster at qualitat im looking to go elsewhere
Him - Amarok highline
Her - S3 8P

Turbo

Turbo

Quote from: djrisk on July 30, 2010, 08:27:05 AM
What did you get on? Te Irirangi dr at night is a good road for that if thats what you are into.
Who services your car these days? mines due one soon and after the disaster at qualitat im looking to go elsewhere

pads above^ (and in sig)

i still get mine serviced at giltrap.

was thinking some remote road  so i'm less likely to run into  :police:, and unsuspecting public.