PROJECT CAR: Vento Coupe

Started by Filx, April 19, 2008, 08:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filx

Just thought I'd kick off the new thread for the Vento coupe project. Please don't expect too many updates in the next few months as today's efforts were made to free up some space in Verts workshop. Thanks also to GTI VR6 for giving us a hand this morning - he made off with some bits as well - no idea why though  ;).

Just a few pics to start with  :)

The donor as you know started like this. 1.8 CLi with a punch in the rear.

John had already done some work during the week and after a few hours this morning with the rest of the team we progressed to this

And onwards to this  :D

And here is a quick pic of the Vento that will be getting the make over. A nice tidy car really - shame to cut it up.  :D

So the basic plan is a 2 door Vento, 1.8T, Mk4 dash and factory electronics, nice interior, coil overs, big brakes, decent wheels, etc.

Let the games begin  ;D >:D :laugh:
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

uero-jet

phil can you please specify what chassis is being used and where it will be chooped? im still not certain what is used how to get the coupe? is it a 3door golf with the vento boot attached?

80 Vert

We will use the Vento body, chop the B pillar out and use the Golf's longer doors. The Golf's quarter panel including the B pillar will be welded into the Vento body. I still have to measure everything to decide where the best place to cut will be.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

old4130

Wicked stuff guys !

Can't wait to see this one  8)
2005 Audi A4 1.8tq S line
1997 VW Golf GTI 16v
2011 Keeway Matrix
1987 Honda Beat FC 50 ~ 50cc of Fury

2000 SEAT Cordoba SXE ~ Her Car - Sold
2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 Limited ~ Her Car

uero-jet

its these kind of builds/projects that want to make me move to auckland...

qta4

you don't need to move to Auckland,just think about a project for a while.

Most exciting projects are dreamed up and built in sheds in the back blocks of NZ
Skill is, sucessfully tightrope walking across the Niagra Falls.
Intelligence is, having the sense not to do it.

uero-jet

Quote from: qta4 on April 19, 2008, 09:40:29 PM
you don't need to move to Auckland,just think about a project for a while.

Most exciting projects are dreamed up and built in sheds in the back blocks of NZ
in small little towns just out of taupo aye noel  ;)

Jetta CLI

i agree with euro-jet, this makes me wanna move to auckland too, theres just no vw parts close by, and im always so busy in my little town i cant b bothered driving 200ks to Auks to check things out

uero-jet

my main reason is just the great enviroment the guys work in...it always seems so posotive and theres so much to learn.
i know the forum is a great way to ask if you have a problem or need help.
but being able to go down the road and recieve help from one of the highly skiiled members is so much better.

Filx

Very quick update on the Vento - nothing too interesting just spent a few hours working on it today.  :D Got it down to engine out, doors off and rolled into the corner. Next step is get her right back to her birthday suit but that will be 4 or 5 weeks away as there's other stuff to work on in the mean time.

Here's a quick picture for posterity  ;D

So here we go again. Can't make any guaranty's with this one except there'll be a a sh/t load of challenges, laughs and adventures along the way!  :)

Filx

Not to much to update on this one as yet but we haven't forgotten. Interior is a bit more stripped as of yesterday. Headlining, interior plastics, dashboard is all out (let me know if you want a Mk3 Vento dash for any swaps as it'll be gone soon  :D). Basically making a pile of stuff that is Vento specific that we want to keep and then any 4 door stuff is getting binned. The same will happen to the Golf with the 3 door specific stuff and then later (waaayyyyyyy later  ;) ) we'll mix and match for interior bits and see what we can come up with.  8)

80 Vert

Look, there's a hole where everything was!

Welded in a brace to support the roof so that the B pillar could be cut out.
The pillar was cut right at the roofline and also through the sill, main objective being that we could test fit the larger door from the Golf.

We took a bunch of measurements from the Golf's door openining in the body so that with a bit of luck we can replicate these on the Vento body.

The rear swage line on the body lines up perfectly with the Vento's one. Next week we will cut the whole side off the Golf and start drilling it all apart to end up with the required panel incorporating the sill, B post, rear quarter and glass.

SteveC

as the rear side windows look longer on the Golf than the Vento and would probably need to be cut anyway, can I make a plea for a "faster" angle at the C pillar to be more sympathetic with the slope of the back window?  more work but a much nicer outcome

the Vento C pillars don't work visually IMHO

RS ZWEI

Nice to see some progress John.

Just came up with and idea/challenge/joke for ya  >:D
Fit the Golf 3 doors to the Vento, then custom make RX8 style rear doors for the rear ;) hehe
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

rambo_005

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on July 12, 2008, 04:44:17 PM
Just came up with and idea/challenge/joke for ya  >:D
Fit the Golf 3 doors to the Vento, then custom make RX8 style rear doors for the rear ;) hehe

Or even better, do a MINI Clubman - 1 door on one side and two on the other ;D

Nice progress John, certainly ripping into it :)

80 Vert

Quote from: SteveC on July 12, 2008, 04:34:58 PM
can I make a plea for a "faster" angle at the C pillar to be more sympathetic with the slope of the back window?  more work but a much nicer outcome

Already in the plans Steve! I never liked the rear side windows common to this conversion overseas and said from the getgo that we would change the glass or have new ones made so it has a more "factory" appearance.

80 Vert

Quote from: rambo_005 on July 12, 2008, 04:46:18 PM
1 door on one side and two on the other ;D

Hahahaaaa, thats what Filx said today!!
Next week will be the hard graft in cutting the other car apart and drilling out 100's of spotwelds.  :'(

80 Vert

Well the 3 door Golf is no more, all cut up today. Both sides cut off the body and the rest cut up and into the scrap bin.
Tomorow will be interesting, going to start drilling apart the Golf sides in readyness to graft them onto the Vento shell.
Looks like we will be installing a sunroof now too, just cause we can while the car is apart, got a whole roofcut from another Golf so all the pieces are there.

GTI's

Tilt and slide electric glass i hope?

80 Vert