Just a idea - GLI to VR6

Started by 1.8t, May 18, 2005, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1.8t

Hey all,

As some of you know ive got a 97 vento gli. I really want a vr6 vento in manual. I love the boot too much to go to a golf and the vento front can look really good with a few modifications.

An idea that dubbed gave me (hope he doesnt mind me sharing!) is to import a pre 97 vr6 manual golf from japan and transfer all the bits and peices over to the vento.

Ive got a few questions..

1) What years did the VR6s have ABS? Im keen on having ABS as I think it can be handy. My current vento has ABS but I asume the ecu and electrical system would be different? keeping in mind my vento has SIMOS injection.

2) Does the rear suspension from a golf fit a vento?

3) Are the back seats the same as a four door golf?

4) What are a few auction houses to look at?

5) What needs to be done regarding the law, like registration and such?

Sorry about all the questions  ;) I cant afford it at the moment but am thinking. Ill post this on vwvortex because the vento isnt very common over here.

:)
Dudlee the 86 318i
Past.. 95 328i M Coupe, 97 Pug 306, 97 Vento

RS ZWEI

Time and money would be to high. thinks that come to mind are hubs, brakes, computers, ABS, engine, gearbox, cert . . . . .  and on and on and on.
You would be best to get a Vento VR6 auto and find a manual box for it.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Period_Correct_

or why not just import a vento Vr6 Manual...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

RS ZWEI

Quote from: NasTnaS on May 19, 2005, 01:08:43 AM

If you can find one. Ive never seen one.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

GLIDN

the 5door golf and vento are identcal interior wise. so that is just a straight swap.
Buy a pre 96 4dr manual vr6, and strip your car to a shell same with the golf and swap everthing over and i mean everthing, wiring included. It should all be pretty much a straight swap. you will aslo be removing the SIMOS. and running the vr6 injection.

From memory all vr6's had ABS brakes. Please confirm any one ??

replace everything then take the car for a certification. So do the change overand if you want to do height adjustable suspension do that before you take it for a cert so everything can be done in one hit.

Rear golf sub frame should be the same as vento. My jetta's the same as the golf. So i don't see why not.

Please if any one has input. please add.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

RS ZWEI

Quote from: dubbed on May 19, 2005, 12:54:12 PM
the 5door golf and vento are identcal interior wise. so that is just a straight swap.
Buy a pre 96 4dr manual vr6, and strip your car to a shell same with the golf and swap everthing over and i mean everthing, wiring included. It should all be pretty much a straight swap. you will aslo be removing the SIMOS. and running the vr6 injection.

From memory all vr6's had ABS brakes. Please confirm any one ??

replace everything then take the car for a certification. So do the change overand if you want to do height adjustable suspension do that before you take it for a cert so everything can be done in one hit.

Rear golf sub frame should be the same as vento. My jetta's the same as the golf. So i don't see why not.

Please if any one has input. please add.

Im sure it can be done but whats the point?
If 1.8T was to do this to his Vento then it going to be off the road for months. For starters its going to cost $2,500 to get the donor car here, then there is buying it, then there is the cost of buying the car he already has, then the cost of labour, the time the car is off the road. . . .
I dont mean to be rude but it doesnt make sense to me?
If 1.8T wants a manual VR6 Vento he is best to buy a VR6 Vento that is already here and fit a manual to it.

Oh, Ive been doing the same kind of job with a mate of mine on his Pug 309. He has a crashed GTI that he is putting all the running gear into a GR, what a mission, and as it turns out its cheaper to buy a tidy GTI than do what we are doing to his GR.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

1.8t

It as just a idea, but it doesnt really look too relaistic.

I think ill keep saving and just look for a vr6 golf. It wont be for a few years at the soonest.

I can do without the boot I think, but the vento front is a keeper! If i sell the vento might have to pick up either another  golf front half and put it on before I sell it. Its the bonnet that could be a  problem!
Dudlee the 86 318i

Filx

I tend to agree with GB666. Get a good VR6 auto and do a trans swap. It might still be a mission, and admittedly I don't know all the ins and outs of VW models, but the trans swap has got to be easier than trying to match wiring looms, fuel pumps, fuel return lines, etc etc - all the little things that might differ between models. Then again I've been involved with full model swaps, mainly with Nissans, and it's hard work - but not particularly "difficult".
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

1.8t

Quote from: Filx on May 19, 2005, 09:58:25 PM
I tend to agree with GB666. Get a good VR6 auto and do a trans swap. It might still be a mission, and admittedly I don't know all the ins and outs of VW models, but the trans swap has got to be easier than trying to match wiring looms, fuel pumps, fuel return lines, etc etc - all the little things that might differ between models. Then again I've been involved with full model swaps, mainly with Nissans, and it's hard work - but not particularly "difficult".

None of those factors should really be problems because if I were to do the swap everything, and I mean everything, would come from the golf and go straight into the vento.

But yeah, I think ill just buy a vr6 and mod it up, well thats the master plan!

Ive been watching many videos of S/Cd vr6s and they sound so good.

We can all dream cant we!
Dudlee the 86 318i

Period_Correct_

Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on May 19, 2005, 08:36:56 AM

well me coming from SA. they were in abundance! i really liked the jetta Vr6!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

RS ZWEI

Quote from: NasTnaS on May 20, 2005, 01:43:12 PM
Quote from: Golfboy666GTI on May 19, 2005, 08:36:56 AM

well me coming from SA. they were in abundance! i really liked the jetta Vr6!

Yeah, and there is alot in the UK, even a Vento Cup car in the 90s but there isnt much chance of finding a manul VR^ Vento here at all.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

dubstar

The smartest advice on modifying I've ever heard is:

"Never build a car you can buy"
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."