Author Topic: Do you spend your long weekends fixing these damn cars?  (Read 520 times)

Offline user2154

Do you spend your long weekends fixing these damn cars?
« on: February 01, 2021, 03:42:53 pm »
Haven't done any maintenance for a while so with Auckland anniversary weekend a good time to fix a few things..

My steering wheel was shaking a bit too hard when braking at motorway speeds, I changed the front brake rotors last year or the year before but I left the old brake pads on they were still more than half good.. I thought I was sure it was the rotors but I took a punt and just put on the new pads, bleed the brakes and they are good as gold with no more shaking.. I hope it is fixed..

That damn short piece of coolant hose under the intake manifold that comes from the turbo was starting to bulge and was leaking, I changed it about 10 years ago. Requires removal of the intake manifold for easier access. It's a 10mm ID hose about 160mm - 170mm long. Just picked up some random hose from supercheap and cut it to length. No doubt it will start leaking somewhere else now..

Thought I had a boost leak for ages, I noticed some slight oil seepage under the oil filler cap.. I replaced the old hard rubber with a new soft one, the shhhh noise went away.

Oil change a couple of weeks ago.. That's it for now unless my weeping power steering hose finally blows..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:56:32 pm by user2154 »

Offline 89 Coupe

Re: Do you spend your long weekends fixing these damn cars?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 10:24:01 pm »
I had that short coolant hose you speak of pop on my old S6 when I was pulling up the driveway at my old man's house many moons ago.
That meant an impromptu stay for my car for a couple days while I sourced some hose from my house and made my hands small enough to reach under and around everything that was the intake manifold without removal (very painful I remember).

I replaced mine with silicone for longevity for what it's worth.

Just spent the entire weekend making / repairing wiring loom in my E34, I'm planning to finish it on Labour weekend.

I think it's just a euro thing.....  ::)
1991 BMW E34 535i
1989 Nissan Skyline R32
1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe
1989 Audi Coupe Quattro
1996 Audi UrS6
1994 BMW E34 540i Touring
1994 Audi 80 Avant Quattro
1993 Audi UrS4 Avant
1999 Audi S4

Offline tjsmada

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 06:35:42 pm »
Ditto on the silicone hose...don't really want to have to replace it again

Offline user2154

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:19:11 pm »
Arg now my head liner completely fell down.. damn